Patient Problem Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CopperStripes

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the format of patient problem lists in your EHR (or, if you use paper, what is your method) - is there a simple list of conditions to choose from, or do you choose an ICD-9 code, or do you free text? Do you think it works well for accomplishing the goal of a problem list? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

We use NextGen. They're all added from a database, and include ICD-9 codes. You can search for a diagnosis by name or code. I'm not too thrilled with how NextGen currently handles the problem list, as you used to be able to customize the problem name, but now you're stuck with whatever is part of SNOMED. This is related to the need to eventually migrate to ICD-10.

We use Epic EHR. You just search for a diagnosis by name - start free texting 'heart failure...' and multiple options like 'CHF with preserved ejection fraction' and 'CHF with reduced ejection fraction' etc will show. You don't see the ICD-9 or 10 codes on the front-end - but all problems have one attached to it - so it saves one step for billing.

I've used NextGen, two versions of AllScripts, McKesson and there was one other EHR but I can remember the name. They all worked similarly in that you typed in either the condition or the ICD and a list would start generating. Then you just click the one you want. They are only as good as whoever manages the list. The more people involved the more they explode and become meaningless. Paper was nice because it was easier to see problems and meds at a glance. But paper didn't have ICD codes.