Patient volumes for junior attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hem_onc1331

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anyone here could comment on what patient volumes they have been seeing as a junior attending a year or two into practice. Looking into applying for jobs right now - Would you say that around ~15-16 pts a year into practice is a reasonable ask? I don’t want to be seeing too many patients also as a general oncologist as they’re complicated and not having a disease specific community position makes it hard to catch up on everything. Also how many new patients (including heme?) and 4 or 4.5 days of clinic ?

Members don't see this ad.

At my (academic) institution, a new patient is 60min, an old patient is 30min. On average 1-2 new patients/day and 8 hours/day so the math comes out to 14-15 patients/day.

Interviewing for jobs now and one hybrid position has templates for ~14 per day (1 new, 6 returns per half day). They do have APP support though once you have the volume, so I think that's really manageable (seems like 20/day with an APP is easily doable).

Members don't see this ad :)
15-16 a day after a year or two is reasonable. 18-20 after 3 or 4 years.

I recently changed jobs after 11 years, going from 20-25 a day (typically 2-3 of them new) to a place where they’re trying to keep me happy and I’m seeing 12-14 a day. I’m a little bored TBH. I suspect I’ll settle in at the 18-20 range in a few months and be off to the races.

In a hospital employed position, 5 years out of fellowship now

busyish DMV metro. See on average 22-25 avg now, little less than before.

4-6 new patients a day. Rest followups

Some days are just different, like today 17 patients only but 7 new. 5 heme 2 onc

Also keep in mind you could also have inpatient consults and followups.

My NP sees 5-8 patients daily. But they dont counts towards my productivity.