Paxil CR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueOasis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what exactly is going with the recalls of Paxil CR? I thought it was just the 25mg, but now, it seems like everything's a problem. Anybody got the inside scoop?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

BlueOasis said:
So what exactly is going with the recalls of Paxil CR? I thought it was just the 25mg, but now, it seems like everything's a problem. Anybody got the inside scoop?

Thanks!

My second choice for ID was PaxilCRSux... what's the difference between Paxil CR and the regular Paxil?

The difference is the dosing form - one is controlled release (results in longer duration of action) and the other is normal release. Where I've been working we've been faxing the physicians and asking them to just switch everyone to generic paroxetine and they have complied, usually shooting the dose up to whatever the next highest available mg (i.e. paxil CR 25 mg --> paroxetine 30 mg.) Some have switched from qDay to half the dose BID. Nobody has complained of having crazy anxiety attacks yet, so I guess it's been ok.

And I rather like the Zpak, from a retail slave standpoint anyway. Just grab the green box, slap a label on it and you're done.

Members don't see this ad :)
BlueOasis said:

Thanks!

I read the recall notice @ the Rite Aid where I'm a tech. It's a quality control issue, from what I recall. Here's more: http://www.pharmacist.com/articles/h_ts_0747.cfm

WVUPharm2007 said:
The difference is the dosing form - one is controlled release (results in longer duration of action) and the other is normal release. Where I've been working we've been faxing the physicians and asking them to just switch everyone to generic paroxetine and they have complied, usually shooting the dose up to whatever the next highest available mg (i.e. paxil CR 25 mg --> paroxetine 30 mg.) Some have switched from qDay to half the dose BID. Nobody has complained of having crazy anxiety attacks yet, so I guess it's been ok.

And I rather like the Zpak, from a retail slave standpoint anyway. Just grab the green box, slap a label on it and you're done.

So..if Paxil CR is controlled release...and has a longer duration of action.. then why are both Paxil CR and Paxil IR given once a day?

ZpackSux said:
So..if Paxil CR is controlled release...and has a longer duration of action.. then why are both Paxil CR and Paxil IR given once a day?

One is protected by patent and one is not. It is all about the money
and has nothing to do with patient care per se.

baggywrinkle said:
One is protected by patent and one is not. It is all about the money
and has nothing to do with patient care per se.

You know that..and I know that..but do the students know?

Paxil was coming off the patent... so SKB enteric coated Paxil and called it the CR.. and change the dose to 25mg.. so it makes it difficult to sub it with paroxetine 20mg. We do it anyways.

Claritin to Clarinex... Prilosec to Nexium.. or attach a Peg Molecule..to make it a once a week dosing instead of daily...

ZpackSux said:
You know that..and I know that..but do the students know?

I think they do. It would be nice if Nexium would go OTC. Many folks really favor that drug but their insurance won't pay for it. Treatment failures are a
disaster when your insurance won't pay or you have none. That breaks my heart. What a price drop when prilosec and claritin went OTC! I don't have much sympathy for the folks that feel legend drugs are somehow superior. It pays the bills and I'll cry all the way to the bank.

CHEESE LOUISE! What I wouldn't give to have 25 cases of Airborne in my barn right now to sell out of my pickup at a roadside stand. I'd make a fortune. Snake oil is alive and well in American medicine.