PCAT Before taking chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

this may be risky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I haven't taken any of my chem prereqs yet, only bio 1 and 2. I have to take the pcat this summer sometime to get into pharm school for the next fall class in 15. Will Dr. Collins or anything else get me prepared enough for a good score? Or am I stupid for trying without taking acual classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Hold your horses there champ. Take your classes then take the PCAT when you've taken at least Organic 1.

Yes, they are good. But keep in mind. We all have taken those classes and have acquired some form of knowledge on the topics. You on the other hand have not. But if you want to take a risk and get a low score. Have at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you are going to try the PCAT with no A&P, micro, biochem, organic, gen chem, and think its possible to do well? Let alone you try to get admitted in the fall without having even touched organic? Are you trolling?

Those study guides are reviews, not a replacement for course work.

Reactions: 1 user
Am I trolling? Grow up. I dont make these tests or reviews, I just read about them. Other than that I'm clueless. I've been out of school for 2 years because I had a child but before that I was in school for 3, so I've taken everything but a chem class..thats what these forums are for, questions.

To the OP. Your answer is no. You will not get by without taking ANY chem class. It seriously appears as you are trolling.

Reactions: 1 users
Well when you said only bio 1,2 for prereqs it made it look like that's the only science you took, so that's why I didn't take you seriously. What have you done for science and math and we might be able to actually help. And yes you at least need gen chem before you take it, since that is about 75%. So I would advise taking it this semester and summer.

It's doable. But you have to be honest with yourself with your ability to comprehend the material. I took it before taking anatomy, biochem, microbio, or orgo and got 90's on everything. I watched a lot of Kahn Academy videos and read through a prep book intensely for about 3 months. I also had my two semesters of bio and chem that provided a solid base.

I'd also check the websites of the schools. Some count the highest of the first 2/3, some average it out. So if you do terrible, you might force your way out of several schools.

It's doable. But you have to be honest with yourself with your ability to comprehend the material. I took it before taking anatomy, biochem, microbio, or orgo and got 90's on everything. I watched a lot of Kahn Academy videos and read through a prep book intensely for about 3 months. I also had my two semesters of bio and chem that provided a solid base.

I'd also check the websites of the schools. Some count the highest of the first 2/3, some average it out. So if you do terrible, you might force your way out of several schools.

Hi! I am looking to apply to pharmacy schools this fall/winter. I have taken stats, gen chem I and II, calculus, and A&P I and II. I have not had biochem, micro, and any orgo. I am worried about not being prepared for the PCAT even if I study hard and do Kahn Academy Videos, etc.

You have more than I did going into it. I had taken a couple practice tests that came with the prep book I bought and found those to be slightly more difficult than the actual PCAT. I think if you become comfortable with material on practice tests you will do fine...

Biggest piece of advice- be aware of your time. In chemistry and especially in math, thinking through problems with common sense will allow you to answer more problems and get a better score than actually solving the questions.

You have more than I did going into it. I had taken a couple practice tests that came with the prep book I bought and found those to be slightly more difficult than the actual PCAT. I think if you become comfortable with material on practice tests you will do fine...

Biggest piece of advice- be aware of your time. In chemistry and especially in math, thinking through problems with common sense will allow you to answer more problems and get a better score than actually solving the questions.

Thank you! How bad was the biology? What do I need to really know for the biology section? I've had no biology at all. I think I can do okay with the chemistry with my two general classes at least.

I am thinking about buying the Dr. Collins study guide. Will that be good enough for studying or what would you recommend? I have a month before my test

I do not know if I would attempt it without any bio. Of course that is up to you but I think having the foundations is a must to at least have a chance to reason out the upper level course questions. As far as books, I did not use Collins. I used the Princeton's Cracking the PCAT. I was very happy with it.

I've been lurking the forums for sometime without posting, so please don't take any offense to my comments as they are meant to be constructive.

On that note I would like to ask why so many want to take the test with more than a year's worth of pre reqs pending? If someone had no chem complete, than they would need gen chem I & II along with orgo I & II (each class a semester long). Meaning that individual would not not be able to apply until the 2016 entering class at a minimum.

In response to the bio question above, from what I've see the only worry would be towards the a& p material since its more difficult than common sense. Then again I may just find the bio section easy due to the fact that i'd completed all the pre reqs quite some time ago. Gen Bio is not a hard subject, and anyone who can master chemistry should be able to teach themselves biology. A&P is in a league of its own due to the length of material that must be understood in such a short amount of time.

In any case best of luck.

I have completed all my gen chem and it just happened that I had to do all my "gen eds" too so I couldn't do orgo yet and I have micro in the fall as well. It will all be done this year but to get in for the 15-16 year I have to go ahead and take it this year. However I have less than a year of classes left so I see no point piling on added tuition for an extra year where I'll already have everything complete and be wasting time just to take the test later. I have had all my A&P and did wonderful in it without a problem.

I do not know if I would attempt it without any bio. Of course that is up to you but I think having the foundations is a must to at least have a chance to reason out the upper level course questions. As far as books, I did not use Collins. I used the Princeton's Cracking the PCAT. I was very happy with it.

What about with both A&Ps. That is what I have. I have micro in the fall.