PCAT test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strelka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, :)
I have a question about PCAT test. How hard is it? English is my second language and I worry about English part in the test. I will be OK with science. I am pre-pharm now. When do you advice to take a test (1 or 2 second year). Also I wondering how is it important have a BS in science? I have a Master in History from my country.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

what country are you from? PCAT is def doable. english maybe tough for you. but you can take TOFEL to show them that you are good w/ english in general. you can take it after you done w/ gen chem 1 and 2. you dont need to worry about organic part. english is my second language as well but i did decent on verbal. not as bad as GRE's or MCAT or DAT. PCAT is a joke compare to those tests.

I am from Russia, I don't need Tofel test. I have GC and I will have my citizenship in the next couple years. I take General Cem. now. Do you have advise about prepair to the test. Do I need know Calculus for the PCAT?

So if you have a green card, you will not have to take the TOFEL? I'm just curious because I thought that if english is your second language, you have to take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, if you have GC you don't need take Tofel. This depends from University. I called in UC, Cincinnati (International Department) and they told me that I don't need take TOFEL.

i do not think it is mater of GC or citizenship. purto ricans are american citizens and they will have to take TOFEL if their english is not sufficient. it is matter of personal choice. if you are worry about getting low score on verbal, i advised you take the tofel. but if you are fluent in english and just short on some fancy vocabulary then i would just don't worry about the TOFEL and explain your situation in your application. calc is not necessary to take PCAT. it is quite simple. just time consuming. stupid percentage calcuations solving equations and setting them up. good luck.

Thank you very much! My understand is very good, I just worry about some tricky words, but I can memorize. I am very good in word memorizing (probably from my previous education). Thank you very much!!!!
What kind of book is best for PCAT?

bananaface said:
There was no calculus on the PCAT when I took it.

For the considered math portion, no there isn't any calculus. However, when I took the PCAT in January, our sixth and extra section was another math section which mainly consisted of calculus. That section, however, changes from test to test and isn't always math. I'm not sure that it counted as it is.

With that said, I've heard that PCAT has changed their format, as far as grades go, and I know they've changed their schedule. So who knows? Perhaps the material content has changed as well.

If it's not calculus, then what type of math is it mainly? Algebra/trig/geometry ??

I'm asking because my only prepharm prereqs are calculus courses.

I remember some algebra, and a lot of conversions, especially fractions.

just want to correct a little mispell here.

I believe it is supposed to be TOEFL, not Tofel because I already took it 1.5 years ago.
It stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language.

Yes, I misspelled a word. It happens sometimes when I typing. Thanks :idea: