PCO Waiting List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trieu8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed on April 13th and now I'm on the waiting list. Anyone else on it? Or people who have been on it before do you know how the process works? Crossing my fingers I get in :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on the 19th and am also on the waiting list. It's only been 2 days and the wait is excruciating.

How long did it take for them to get back to you with a decision? I was told it would be within a week after my interview, but then I received an email saying it would be 2-3 weeks until I would get a decision! =|

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the decision to be put on the waitlist 9 days after my interview. I live in Canada, and regular mail from the states always takes almost a week to get here.

Well I'm officially on "standby". Is that the same as the waiting list?

Hello all!

I am also officially on the standby list at PCO. Just wondering if anyone knows how it works; for example is it based on a ranking system? When I went for my interview they told me the waiting list was not based on a rank system so what other way would they determine who gets a seat?

Seems like we're all Canadians! I haven't heard back yet either but I called the school and they say people can be taken off the list up to the week of orientation.

did any of you guys, or anyone, find out when the deadline for the first acceptance deposit and second deposit is?...that way those of us on the waiting list can better estimate around what time we can expect to hear back when/if some people don't make that deadline

did any of you guys, or anyone, find out when the deadline for the first acceptance deposit and second deposit is?...that way those of us on the waiting list can better estimate around what time we can expect to hear back when/if some people don't make that deadline

deadline for first deposit is 2 weeks after you get an acceptance letter. the second deposit is due on june 1st, according to PCO's website.

oh ok, so in about 3 weeks we should hear something back

Waiting is excruciating. Does anyone have any idea how long the waitlist is this year? The admissions officer said PCO accepted 40 students off the waitlist last year. Keeping my fingers crossed that we see the same kind of movement this time around.

I've been accepted from off PCO's waiting list, but I've decided to go to NECO.

So there should be a spot freeing up soon.

Also for people being accepted off the waitlist they only have to decide by June 30th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bioflare if you don't mind, what day did you interview?

I'm on the PCO Standby List too... I interviewed early March.
The wait has been killing me too. I fell in love with PCO - never wanted anything more in my life.

Hi,

I'm planning to apply for 2012, and PCO is one of the school I'm interested to get in. I have 3.24 GPA, and BS on Biology, I did more than 70 hours of shadowing/Volunteering in a Vision Therapy facility. Planning to take the OAT in late July. Do you think I have a chance to get in the PCO or any other schools? What is the GPA they actually look for in PCO? Would appreciate any suggestion. Should I do anything else just to be a better applicant? Thanks.

I'm also on this list.. interviewed in late March

Hi,

I'm planning to apply for 2012, and PCO is one of the school I'm interested to get in. I have 3.24 GPA, and BS on Biology, I did more than 70 hours of shadowing/Volunteering in a Vision Therapy facility. Planning to take the OAT in late July. Do you think I have a chance to get in the PCO or any other schools? What is the GPA they actually look for in PCO? Would appreciate any suggestion. Should I do anything else just to be a better applicant? Thanks.

http://www.sco.edu/admissions/Documents/profileoptometry.html

This is a profile for the entering class of 2010 for all the schools of optometry

i spoke with admissions on friday and was told that there are 100 people on the waitlist. doesn't that seem like a lot? kind of ridiculous? If they've had acceptance deposits paid by april 14th or even earlier, why would they continue interviewing into may and pad their standby list with so many extra students...

i spoke with admissions on friday and was told that there are 100 people on the waitlist. doesn't that seem like a lot? kind of ridiculous? If they've had acceptance deposits paid by april 14th or even earlier, why would they continue interviewing into may and pad their standby list with so many extra students...

Can you say...for-profit.

I don't know the details with PCO but don't you put down a deposit and then may not get it back even if you do not attend?

I don't know the details with PCO but don't you put down a deposit and then may not get it back even if you do not attend?

I believe deposits are collected if you wish to accept admission, not if you simply are being placed on the waiting list. In other words, the school tells you you're in, and asks you to pay a deposit toward tuition to confirm that you will attend. In the mean time, of course, you might be waiting to hear back from a school that's higher on your list of choices, but, if you don't place a deposit on this one, you'll lose your seat (and you might later find that other college you were hoping for has rejected you).

As far as I know, most of the O.D. institutions run things this way, though the policies differ with regard to how much of a refund (if any at all) you'll be issued on your deposit in the event you choose to withdraw your name. With P.C.O., I think you're refunded 90% of the deposit (i.e., you end up having paid $100.00 — I think).

O ok, my theory does not stand. Guys I would either find a job as an ophthalmic technician (I am one currently) or go to IAUPR (if you have money) and apply for advanced standing transfer into mainland schools after the first semester.

O ok, my theory does not stand. Guys I would either find a job as an ophthalmic technician (I am one currently) or go to IAUPR (if you have money) and apply for advanced standing transfer into mainland schools after the first semester.

Transferring between professional schools tends to be quite difficult, especially if your G.P.A. isn't close to stellar; even then, you need a pretty compelling reason to sway the admissions committee.

has anyone on the waitlist heard back? any good news?

Nothing yet.. But I did get a letter like a last week saying I'm on a standby list, and ask to confirm it...

Hey guys, just wondering for all of you who got interviewed in April, when did you actually apply and how long did it take to get invited for an interview?

I think I just lucked out ... applied March 1st, and after optomcas processed and mailed my app (March 16th) it took about 4 days to get my interview invitation.

Anyone hear anything back yet? They said in the letter I got (same letter as mentioned in my previous post), that they will accept people from the standby list up through the first week of the semester).

Anyone hear anything back yet? They said in the letter I got (same letter as mentioned in my previous post), that they will accept people from the standby list up through the first week of the semester).

I recently deferred/withdrew my acceptance to PCO. That should be one more spot for you and everyone else on this list. Best of luck to you!

I deal with the community wardens in my job and they are very good at what they do!!
Instead of blaming the PCSO's I'd be a lot more inclined to blame the people who are mis-using them as untrained Police officers, or "cheap cops" this is a situation that wont be changed until the PCSO's are given duties that are pertinent to the training given to them.

^ Is this an analogy for ophthalmologists and optometrists - pretty random lol

Hmm...buddy, it is unheard of in any optometric institution to transfer from one optometry school into another as "advanced standing." If anything, you are placed from year 1 and if you are lucky, they may transfer SOME credits to save you a semester or so. Each school has it's own curriculum and some are semester vs. quarter system.

To transfer you must also have an extenuating circumstances because the dean of your current institution has to approve of it as well as the other school.

Still not sure as to why you think you need to have money in order to attend IAUPR. The average student, including myself, acquires $40,000 per year and that is basically the average any optometry student takes out in loans (give or take $5000). The cost of living here is very cheap as well (I pay $550 for a one bedroom apt, including electricity and water).

Still, have not heard anything back yet :( Whats the time window on this standby list?

I had an interview with PCO on March 19th and NECO on March 23rd. I was put on the wait list for both of them.
I am just wondering if I should still have hope in starting this September.
And how often do people on the wait list get accepted. plus how long before I hear from them

thanks a lot

I had an interview with PCO on March 19th and NECO on March 23rd. I was put on the wait list for both of them.
I am just wondering if I should still have hope in starting this September.
And how often do people on the wait list get accepted. plus how long before I hear from them

thanks a lot

I don't understand..I am wait listed for PCO to but I called NECO after March 23 and the admissions office told me they have spots left!

I don't understand..I am wait listed for PCO to but I called NECO after March 23 and the admissions office told me they have spots left!

I think that means that your stats are borderline for them, so they waitlisted you to see what kind of applicants they get here at the end. They will probably directly admit someone with high stats at this point. I'm not sure, but that's what it sounds like!

Did anyone call and figure out how the whole standby process work? Do they wait till a specific date and then notify people if they get in, or is it constantly an ongoing basis as people give up their spots? Do they take people off the wait list based on stats or the order in which they were placed on it, etc...

I was holding a seat at PCO, just emailed them today to give it up as I will be attending NOVA. Good luck!

I was put on hold for neco and just got accepted a few days ago :D...I called a day before they accepted me and the lady told me that the committee meets every two weeks on a Friday and decide...good luck everyone