PCOM vs Marian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctrumbet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently accepted to PCOM in Philadelphia and Marian. Torn between the brand new facilities at Marian and the power of the name at PCOM. Is the PCOM name going to significantly boost rotation/residency opportunities as compared to Marian's? What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

I would go PCOM. No one can tell you squat about Marian residencies yet, but PCOM has been one of the top DO schools for years.
Compare cost, where you want to live, etc. But if it is straight up one or the other, PCOM could only help you. No one yet knows how Marian stacks up (I believe them, ACOM and CUSOM will all be impressive) but it's a feather in your hat at least, so to speak.

Not sure why all these threads keep popping up, but this one also has a clear and obvious answer.

PCOM.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would go PCOM. No one can tell you squat about Marian residencies yet, but PCOM has been one of the top DO schools for years.
Compare cost, where you want to live, etc. But if it is straight up one or the other, PCOM could only help you. No one yet knows how Marian stacks up (I believe them, ACOM and CUSOM will all be impressive) but it's a feather in your hat at least, so to speak.

Thanks for the input. Any idea on PCOM's 3rd and 4th year rotations? They say that the "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is their clinical classroom". Does that mean you're free to schedule your core rotations at any hospital they are affiliated with across PA?

Pcom, either location because they're both awesome.

Can one from a US school schedule their core rotations? I was told by my school 'it is a no can do'...

Recently accepted to PCOM in Philadelphia and Marian. Torn between the brand new facilities at Marian and the power of the name at PCOM. Is the PCOM name going to significantly boost rotation/residency opportunities as compared to Marian's? What would you do?

PCOM is one of the most solid schools, it has residency programs, and its residency programs are considered to be some of the best AOA residency training positions. Marian is a relatively new school.

3rd year clinical rotations are pretty solid. Some great sites in there, but you won't necessarily get the exact one you want because each only has a certain number of spots. Where you go is usually (depending on the subgroup you are in) determined by a points system where you can bid on a site for a particular rotation, and if you are the only one bidding, or beat out the other students who also bid, then you get the spot and spend some of your points. Ultimately the experience will be what you make it. Some residents and attendings like teaching more than others, some are really nice and easy going, and some are hostile, but that speaks more to the nature of people than anything else. We do have the advantage of having residencies in nearly everything, all of which will likely make it through the merger, and we're in Philly where the medical establishment is huge and pretty DO friendly. If it were up to me, I would change a number of things in our curriculum, but for the most part I feel I got a great education.

What else is drawing you to Marian that makes you compare the two? Just the new facilities? The school really sells their program. So much so, I took an acceptance there over other older and more established schools. I can see the school becoming a top DO program at some point--for whatever that's worth. It all really depends on what you want/need personally. There are other factors that come into play here in this type of decision. At least in my situation that was the case. Would I chose MUCOM again...meh I dunno. I also don't know if I'd chose to go to medical school again tho. So there's that.

3rd year clinical rotations are pretty solid. Some great sites in there, but you won't necessarily get the exact one you want because each only has a certain number of spots. Where you go is usually (depending on the subgroup you are in) determined by a points system where you can bid on a site for a particular rotation, and if you are the only one bidding, or beat out the other students who also bid, then you get the spot and spend some of your points. Ultimately the experience will be what you make it. Some residents and attendings like teaching more than others, some are really nice and easy going, and some are hostile, but that speaks more to the nature of people than anything else. We do have the advantage of having residencies in nearly everything, all of which will likely make it through the merger, and we're in Philly where the medical establishment is huge and pretty DO friendly. If it were up to me, I would change a number of things in our curriculum, but for the most part I feel I got a great education.

Awesome insight on the rotations. Very helpful. Thanks a lot. I'm from the Pittsburgh area originally and ideally would like to land a residency around that area (UPMC, Allegheny Health Network, Conemaugh Health System). I was trying to get a feel for how reasonable it would be to think I could do at least a couple of rotations in one or multiple of those hospitals.

What else is drawing you to Marian that makes you compare the two? Just the new facilities? The school really sells their program. So much so, I took an acceptance there over other older and more established schools. I can see the school becoming a top DO program at some point--for whatever that's worth. It all really depends on what you want/need personally. There are other factors that come into play here in this type of decision. At least in my situation that was the case. Would I chose MUCOM again...meh I dunno. I also don't know if I'd chose to go to medical school again tho. So there's that.

Well I'm really comparing the two just because those are the two I've been admitted to at this point in the cycle. I did see some similarities in the close proximity to major urban centers (Philly and Indy) both which have very well established medical centers. I agree that Marian did a fantastic job of convincing me on interview day that I could be very happy there come August. If you don't mind me asking, what made you ultimately decide on Marian instead of the more established schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're from the PA area and can handle living in Philly---PCOM all the way. There's just too many unknowns about Marian yet. And one would think if there's going to be growing pains they would be coming soon. PCOM has such a solid presence in Pennsylvania, it would be a great place to attend.

I've read over and over again that marian's OPP department is a little intense, and I would avoid it based on that alone. And I would *really* avoid new schools personally. My school isn't incredibly established, but they've had quite a few classes finish residency. They still tweak things on the fly, and I imagine I would pull my hair out at a lesser established school where this has to happen more often.

I somewhat disagree with the last statement. You are mainly going to be on the fate of your board scores at the end, I wouldn't attempt to avoid a newer school with such fear.
However, PCOM can only help you with name recognition. Marian or any other similar school can only aspire to be like PCOM in that area.

I somewhat disagree with the last statement. You are mainly going to be on the fate of your board scores at the end, I wouldn't attempt to avoid a newer school with such fear.
However, PCOM can only help you with name recognition. Marian or any other similar school can only aspire to be like PCOM in that area.

Medical school is a huge investment, think of it like buying a house or an expensive automobile, would you take a chance with something new and untested or something with a strong track record of quality and reliability?

Reactions: 1 user

Everything goin' alright for you? I mean, two years ago you had me regretting cancelling my interview at Marian. OMM got you down?

Awesome insight on the rotations. Very helpful. Thanks a lot. I'm from the Pittsburgh area originally and ideally would like to land a residency around that area (UPMC, Allegheny Health Network, Conemaugh Health System). I was trying to get a feel for how reasonable it would be to think I could do at least a couple of rotations in one or multiple of those hospitals.

The thing is, PA is filled with PCOM grads. On top of that, I believe some members of the PCOM OPTI include UPMC residencies (PCOM also has one of the biggest and broadest OPTIs in the country, especially for 1 school). Also take a look at who the DOs are that get into UPMC residencies. It's mostly PCOM and LECOM grads. Sure there's regional selectivity, but if you want to come back to Pgh, PCOM is a better bet than MUCOM.

In addition, going to PCOM, the truth is down the road you will bump into a lot of alums (networking is important and that could be a big asset), and you'll see them all over the country. It's been around for a LONG time. You aren't going to get that experience with MUCOM.

Honestly, I'm sure MUCOM will do well in the long run, but it is still untested, and as far as DO schools go, you'll have less to worry about and more going for you if you go to PCOM.

I was speaking less about board prep and more about staying sane during the first two years. I have a friend at a newer class that describes the constant tweaking of their schedules as confusing chaos. No thanks.

Maybe it won't happen at marian, but it probably will.

The thing is, PA is filled with PCOM grads. On top of that, I believe some members of the PCOM OPTI include UPMC residencies (PCOM also has one of the biggest and broadest OPTIs in the country, especially for 1 school). Also take a look at who the DOs are that get into UPMC residencies. It's mostly PCOM and LECOM grads. Sure there's regional selectivity, but if you want to come back to Pgh, PCOM is a better bet than MUCOM.

In addition, going to PCOM, the truth is down the road you will bump into a lot of alums (networking is important and that could be a big asset), and you'll see them all over the country. It's been around for a LONG time. You aren't going to get that experience with MUCOM.

Honestly, I'm sure MUCOM will do well in the long run, but it is still untested, and as far as DO schools go, you'll have less to worry about and more going for you if you go to PCOM.

Would you say CCOM/KCUMB has a similar reputation to PCOM in the medical world?

Medical school is a huge investment, think of it like buying a house or an expensive automobile, would you take a chance with something new and untested or something with a strong track record of quality and reliability?

Sigh. Read my other post above, where I said that the better name brand was PCOM. Nice of you to offer your analogy, I would never have put med school as an expensive life decision otherwise. I've got some experience on ya, pup.

I was speaking less about board prep and more about staying sane during the first two years. I have a friend at a newer class that describes the constant tweaking of their schedules as confusing chaos. No thanks.

I agree, we only get a sample of input from different people from different colleges. If schedule tweaks are my worst problem, I'll be ok

Would you say CCOM/KCUMB has a similar reputation to PCOM in the medical world?

CCOM, absolutely, in Chicago. I'm not sure about KCUMB, but it certainly is established and well tested and has a big alumni base, I just have no experience or idea with how its viewed in its surrounding area.

Don't get me wrong though, for the most part a DO school is looked at as little more than a DO school in most accounts. The exceptions take place in 2 circumstances, (1) in close proximity to the established school (e.g. PA, NJ, NY for PCOM, IL/midwest for CCOM, etc.) and (2) when you get connections through alums or when a specific residency prefers a certain school's graduates because of a positive experience they've had with an alum.

... for the most part a DO school is looked at as little more than a DO school in most accounts. The exceptions take place in 2 circumstances, (1) in close proximity to the established school (e.g. PA, NJ, NY for PCOM, IL/midwest for CCOM, etc.) and (2) when you get connections through alums or when a specific residency prefers a certain school's graduates because of a positive experience they've had with an alum.

This. Your board scores are priority, your class rank is taken into account, and then it's about location and connections. Who you know is indeed more valuable than what you know for many people.

Maybe it won't happen at marian, but it probably will.
I've read over and over again that marian's OPP department is a little intense, and I would avoid it based on that alone. And I would *really* avoid new schools personally. My school isn't incredibly established, but they've had quite a few classes finish residency. They still tweak things on the fly, and I imagine I would pull my hair out at a lesser established school where this has to happen more often.
I would also recommend PCOM and agree that newness is definitely a downside.

However, it is only one downside and shouldn't be a dealbreaker. Newness shouldn't necessarily turn someone off if their other options have, for example: mandatory attendance, curricula not right for them (ie PBL, CHC's), huge COA (CCOM), strict rules (LECOM), terrible locations, for-profit status, etc.

Every DO school has its drawbacks, and frequently they are significant. Anyway, applicants should decide among their choices which drawbacks will be most tolerable for them, and subsequently stay motivated and work hard wherever they end up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
go to the school with the most residencies associated with it. if i could choose medical schools over again, the # of residencies branded by a certain medical school would be the only thing i would consider. there are kids in my school who already had verbal commitments with PDs in ortho, ENT, g-surg, nsgy, PM&R, and more by the end of second year. i have had PDs from residency programs sponsored by my school specifically tell me they would choose somebody from my school over a student from another school even if they had much higher board scores than me.

it's nice that applicants get a warm and fuzzy feeling about how much the professors care about how warm and fuzzy you feel inside when you visit a certain school (any school...not specifically Marian or PCOM). however, you will be kicking yourself in your warm and fuzzy ass when you realize you love ortho and need to beat out another ortho gunner at his or her home residency program.

Gotta be honest, I have never heard of CCOM prior to this thread

I would also recommend PCOM and agree that newness is definitely a downside.

However, it is only one downside and shouldn't be a dealbreaker. Newness shouldn't necessarily turn someone off if their other options have, for example: mandatory attendance, curricula not right for them (ie PBL, CHC's), huge COA (CCOM), strict rules (LECOM), terrible locations, for-profit status, etc.

Every DO school has its drawbacks, and frequently they are significant. Anyway, applicants should decide among their choices which drawbacks will be most tolerable for them, and subsequently stay motivated and work hard wherever they end up.

Agree. Same goes with MSU-COM. Great school but huge CoA = not worth it

Everything goin' alright for you? I mean, two years ago you had me regretting cancelling my interview at Marian. OMM got you down?
Haha! Ya everything is going ok for me. MS2 funk + OMM tomfoolery + winter beginning to show her ugly face I suppose. I still feel MUCOM has a lot to offer.

Well I'm really comparing the two just because those are the two I've been admitted to at this point in the cycle. I did see some similarities in the close proximity to major urban centers (Philly and Indy) both which have very well established medical centers. I agree that Marian did a fantastic job of convincing me on interview day that I could be very happy there come August. If you don't mind me asking, what made you ultimately decide on Marian instead of the more established schools?
Opportunities for my wife were very high up on the list of reasons I ultimately ended up at Marian. But like I said before, Marian does quite a sales pitch when you visit them and they make it pretty hard to say no. I had no current students to consult beyond what the admissions dept was telling me, and I highly suggest you take current student feedback into account when looking at different programs--try to hit a variety of different types of people when you ask about the school too. Some people suck the proverbial teet of their school and won't shoot straight with you. So best to get a variety of viewpoints. You've gotten good feedback in this thread so I won't drag this response on any more--but GL with your decision!

Last edited:
^ they really do throw a sales pitch to a degree that no other school does. But even when I interviewed last year in the early part of the year the guides seemed to hint slightly that they were somewhat sold something that they know too little about and to take the presentation with a bit of salt.