Peds Sub-I x 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superoxide

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing my peds core rotation right now and I really like it. I want to do a peds sub-I at this same hospital later on and another peds sub-I at another hospital I'm interested in. How is that looked upon when it comes time to applying for residencies? Both of them are peds inpatient sub-I's (They don't have any other ones like neonatology etc)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As in 2 different programs? Or just different hospitals within your own program.

Generally aways are good, unless you suck.

Members don't see this ad :)
As in 2 different programs? Or just different hospitals within your own program.

Generally aways are good, unless you suck.

At two completely separate programs.

Why would this be a problem again? I swear I have rarely been around a more neurotic group of worrywarts than my fellow med students.

Just concerned since it could be seen as doing the same elective twice.

But, presumably you want to do that elective for the rest of your life, a rotation will never be identical...so you are not doing the same thing twice, particularly at a different hospital. Don't sweat it.

If you are using your sub-I at an away institution there are certainly things you may want to avoid. Neonatology rotations usually don't get you much exposure at a program as you are fairly limited in attending and resident interactions other than your team for that block.

If you want to get a feel for a program, pick an away rotation that gives you good access to the hospital, faculty, and residents. Inpatient peds sub-I works that way as does ID, Heme-Onc, GI, and Endocrine. While on a sub-I, plan on making time to talk to the chiefs and the program director in a formal capacity. This is not a kiss-up move. It is generally assumed that you are using an away rotation to preview a program. Don't be shy about asking questions and be sure to tell the program director if you have interest in the program. Stay on good terms with your primary attending during the rotation as they may serve as your advocate during selectivity rankings. After completion of the away rotation send thank you cards to the primary attending, program director, and the chiefs.

Just make the most of your remaining electives. MS-IV is the last chance you have of getting exposure to many offerings. Dermatology, Orthopedics, Sports Medicine, and Child Psych can all be very helpful for someone planning on going into Peds. These are key areas that often get short-shrift during your Peds residency. Peds surgery is a great rotation, as well. It can really give you a leg up in dealing with some very complex cases. I did one my M-4 year and it gave me some great insights for my residency years.

Don't worry too much about right and wrong for rotations. Just enjoy the little time you have left in medical school and the breadth of experience it gives you. After the match your experience of medicine will naturally narrow. Until then, take in as many varied experiences as you can.

That's all this attending can offer you. Good luck.