Penn c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh Orca.... I'm literally speechless. This absolutely sucks *****

Members don't see this ad.

So sorry to hear that Orca! How did they give you the news? I don't think my interview went well on Friday, so I'm just interested to see whether I should be checking email/snail mail/ phone for the bad news to come

For those of you wondering about rejections, here's your answer. Just got rejected from Penn after my interview and haven't been able to process it yet. I have no idea what is expected of me anymore. I came out of my interview feeling a lot better than last year when I ended up as #2 on the IS wait list. This year nothing. Starting to wonder if I did something wrong somewhere...

what what what what what???!?!?!?!?! :wtf:

i'm SO sorry orca :( i'm really hoping for the best for you -- i knew penn was your top choice too :( :xf::xf::xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh Orca...I am so sorry to see that this has happened to you, especially right after an interview! I guess my theory of waiting to reject everyone until the bitter end is not correct after all. I hope you have other prospects, but I also know how much it hurts to be rejected from your IS. You will be alright, though. Hibernate for a few days and then come back with all you've got and move forward in this wild ride of life.

For those of you wondering about rejections, here's your answer. Just got rejected from Penn after my interview and haven't been able to process it yet. I have no idea what is expected of me anymore. I came out of my interview feeling a lot better than last year when I ended up as #2 on the IS wait list. This year nothing. Starting to wonder if I did something wrong somewhere...

Oh no, Ocra I am SO sorry... I don't even know what to say, I know that nothing will make you feel better right now :( Just know that this is 100% Penn's loss, you are a smart, motivated, and competitive candidate who is going to be a fantastic veterinarian... if they couldn't see that than they are just plain blind. Keep your head up!

This is the absolute worst, Orca :(. I'm so sorry this happened. I think whatever the turnout, you should definitely try to find out what happened. If there was something wrong, you should know what--especially if you have to reapply next year.

Orca2011,

That is so disappointing :( My heart breaks for you.

Can you set up a mock interview at you current college or at a veterinary practice that you have worked for? The owner of my practice set aside 1 hour for all three vets to interview me before I went out to Oregon (where I "met" a couple staff/faculty members). I think it really helped to work out some bugs with interviewing and talking to faculty with why you want to be a vet, why you want to attend their school, and what you want to do with your education.

You still have interviews with Auburn and Illinois, right?! That is two more opportunities to rock this application cycle. :luck:

Oh Orca I'm so sorry. I'm not sure where in PA you are, but I make some killer dark chocolate raspberry cookies that have been said to help in situations such as this. I'd be happy to send some your way!

Orca NOO!!!!!! :( I am SO SO Sorry!! If awesome cookies (cause they sound ridiculously awesome) don't cut it, tequila usually works. Feel better. I am so incredibly sorry :(

:wtf:

I had no intention of logging in, was just checking on things before hitting the floor when my mouth hit the floor!! :eek: Orca, I am so very very very sorry to hear this. I have no words as I am shocked. Sadly have to chalk this up to being UPenn being UPenn?? Thus, I will simply leave you with my sympathy, an offer to send a liquorgram, and my opinion on the situation which will most likely do wonders for my karma. Aw hell, it's worth it. This news totally sucks...

:confused: :bullcrap: :nono: :sendoff: :slap: Bad, UPenn! Very, very bad, UPenn!

Thanks for the support everyone! Reading all your posts kinda made me cry, but in a good way. It's starting to sink in now since I kind of had to put a brave face on for my Glasgow interview today. I do still have Auburn and Illinois, so hopefully someone will want me enough. I guess I am super disappointed because Penn's been my top choice for so long and I did a file review last year and did my best to improve the areas I was told I was weak in,which was mainly experience...I now have 700+ hours in small animal and am starting to shadow an equine vet in the next week which I mentioned in my interview in addition to the 1000+ hours working in a lab from undergrad. The rejection on top of losing my job (well, i still get to work as an intern but no monetary benefits which is desperately needed) was just too much for one weekend.

For those of you who received interview invites when did they come????

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the admissions office yesterday. They told me that they would be sending interview invites out through the end of February, and the interviews would be held a few weeks into March. They also told me that about 300 rejections had been sent out before the holidays but I have not seen any listed on the rejections thread? So the waiting continues I guess.

I called the admissions office yesterday. They told me that they would be sending interview invites out through the end of February, and the interviews would be held a few weeks into March. They also told me that about 300 rejections had been sent out before the holidays but I have not seen any listed on the rejections thread? So the waiting continues I guess.
I do recall a couple of people saying they had received Penn rejections in one of the threads, but not on the Official Rejection thread. I wonder why no one has posted it. Maybe being rejected from Penn is more traumatic than being rejected from anyplace else? Ha! It's all traumatic for sure. But yet...the wait goes on.

I do recall a couple of people saying they had received Penn rejections in one of the threads, but not on the Official Rejection thread. I wonder why no one has posted it. Maybe being rejected from Penn is more traumatic than being rejected from anyplace else? Ha! It's all traumatic for sure. But yet...the wait goes on.

So I just saw your name on the Penn thread and Rejection thread back to back and I thought for sure I was about to cry for you :laugh:

So I just saw your name on the Penn thread and Rejection thread back to back and I thought for sure I was about to cry for you :laugh:
No tears yet! Still hanging in there. Thanks for the empathy, though. We've GOT to stop posting on the rejection thread...it's hard, though, ya know?

Hey! Does anyone know how many people are accepted after being interviewed? I was reading through a few of the older posts from C/O 2015 and I think it said 50% of those interviewed are accepted but I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Hey! Does anyone know how many people are accepted after being interviewed? I was reading through a few of the older posts from C/O 2015 and I think it said 50% of those interviewed are accepted but I wasn't sure. Thanks!
That was the case 2 years ago. I cannot say if it is the case now.

Does this mean that 50% of those interviewed were accepted or that 50% of those interviewed attended. I think this is very different because many of those interviewed will attend other schools. It's very hard to understand all the statistics involved in admissions. Sometimes I just have to stop calculating my chances and wait and see what happens.

I haven't even gotten a notification of an interview yet. I called a few weeks ago and they said that if I didnt get a rejection letter, then I was still being considered for an interview. I'm an OOS student. Did they just forget about me?

Hey everyone! I know this sounds like blasphemy to ask on the Penn thread, but I have a question... What is it exactly that each person loves about Penn? Don't get me wrong, I love Penn too (!), but I'm just curious what it is for each person that makes it their dream school... Thanks, guys!

I haven't even gotten a notification of an interview yet. I called a few weeks ago and they said that if I didnt get a rejection letter, then I was still being considered for an interview. I'm an OOS student. Did they just forget about me?
There are many, many of us who have not heard yet from Penn. We are calling ourselves the "Lonely Sock Club" (read earlier in this thread to understand. You are an automatic member). You are not alone. We are all waiting and hope to hear good news over the next few weeks. Don't worry.

Lonely socks unite!!!! Woooo! I'm a lil pink sock!

Lonely socks unite!!!! Woooo! I'm a lil pink sock!
Me, too! Though I must admit I'd rather be in the "Interview Invites" club. Or better yet, the Penn Class of 2016. But at least I'm not alone.

Lonely Sock Clubbers, please welcome our newest member: Zpearl.
:welcome:

Don't fret, Zpearl. Penn hasn't forgotten about you. They just like torturing young people. Let us hold you against our collective bosom and shield you from the cold winds of neglect, for we are the friends of the friendless. You are no longer a lonely sock hanging on the line, but a collection of many individual socks, each diverse, colorful, comfortable, unique in our own way, poised in a row - an army of foot-shaped cotton (or nylon, if you'd like) gathering together catching the sunny rays of hope. Welcome.

Sock it to Me: WildWoman, FluteStar, LMMS, Virginger, TigerWillow (lil pink sock), Bisbee, Emiloo, VacaMeansCow, Raimes, spoondiggity DVMDream, August West, Zpearl.

Last edited:
Tigerwillow, do you read "mutts?" :D:laugh:

Don't fret, Zpearl. Penn hasn't forgotten about you. They just like torturing young people. Let us hold you against our collective bosom and shield you from the cold winds of neglect, for we are the friends of the friendless. You are no longer a lonely sock hanging on the line, but a collection of many individual socks, each diverse, colorful, comfortable, unique in our own way, poised in a row - an army of foot-shaped cotton (or nylon, if you'd like) gathering together catching the sunny rays of hope. Welcome.

Sock it to Me: WildWoman, FluteStar, LMMS, Virginger, TigerWillow (lil pink sock), Bisbee, Emiloo, VacaMeansCow, Raimes, spoondiggity DVMDream, August West, Zpearl.

I am totally part of this list. UPenn, you have done this to me 3 years in a row now - why must I always be a lonely sock?

Tigerwillow, do you read "mutts?" :D:laugh:

Totally. I LOVE mutts. Mooch is my fave. I allowed my own mooch to steal all my socks, and ironically the pink one is also her favorite. Also love the crab.

I am totally part of this list. UPenn, you have done this to me 3 years in a row now - why must I always be a lonely sock?

Whyevernot, indeed!

Mother Sockers: WildWoman, FluteStar, LMMS, Virginger, TigerWillow (lil pink sock), Bisbee, Emiloo, VacaMeansCow, Raimes, spoondiggity DVMDream, August West, Zpearl, Whyevernot55 (veterana).

I too am a lonely sock. I got left under the bed and now I am covered in cat hair :(.

:biglove:

Perfectly stated.

I just noticed that a bunch of us socks are all "made in CA". Maybe they are neglecting our feelings because they assume we would all wait to hear from Davis anyway before deciding. Hmmm.... :eyebrow:

I just noticed that a bunch of us socks are all "made in CA". Maybe they are neglecting our feelings because they assume we would all wait to hear from Davis anyway before deciding. Hmmm.... :eyebrow:

Not fair!!! I'm a leftover undies (was that the term you used??) over at Davis!!!

Welcome to the club CorporateFatCat! ... I hope to see some of us leave soon. They sent out some invites last week, but none of them were for us :uhno::annoyed: (lol.)

Sock it to Me: WildWoman, FluteStar, LMMS, Virginger, TigerWillow (lil pink sock), Bisbee, Emiloo, VacaMeansCow, Raimes, spoondiggity DVMDream, August West, Zpearl, CorporateFatCat

Not fair!!! I'm a leftover undies (was that the term you used??) over at Davis!!!

Don't take them panties off the line just yet. Still a week to go and I know a few that got off the waitlist in the past. Still hope!!

Mother Sockers: WildWoman, FluteStar, LMMS, Virginger, TigerWillow (lil pink sock / Davis leftover underwear), Bisbee, Emiloo, VacaMeansCow, Raimes, spoondiggity DVMDream (fuzzy warm sock), August West, Zpearl, Whyevernot55 (veterana), CorporateFatCat (hirsute).

Who's from California? I'm in Hollywood, y'all. :cool: Left Coast. Represent.

Mother Sockers: WildWoman, FluteStar, LMMS, Virginger, TigerWillow (lil pink sock / Davis leftover underwear), Bisbee, Emiloo, VacaMeansCow, Raimes, spoondiggity DVMDream (fuzzy warm sock), August West, Zpearl, Whyevernot55 (veterana), CorporateFatCat (hirsute).

I'm from rancho palos verdes and go to the beach EVERY M-F..... Cuz that's where the biznez office is. Too bad I don't actually get to, like, go ON the beach.

Bisbee, however, is from upstate NY where they have these contraptions called trees. And they have a second wardrobe? Ee GADS

TigerWillow (lil pink sock / Davis leftover underwear), CorporateFatCat (hirsute) and myself for starters.

I'm from San Jose :) . . . And still a sock :scared:

RPV and SJ in the hiznee. TigerWillow, it's time for a "lunch break" and get on that boogie board.

Hey, we have trees over here. They grow magically out of the concrete and in perfect rows along Normandie Avenue. I lived in Rochester, NY for a while. All the greenery was frightening but I totally dug the winter gear and accessories. I put on my LL Bean snowboots today. It rained for about 30 minutes in LA and I was TOTALLY PREPARED!

Hey everyone! I know this sounds like blasphemy to ask on the Penn thread, but I have a question... What is it exactly that each person loves about Penn? Don't get me wrong, I love Penn too (!), but I'm just curious what it is for each person that makes it their dream school... Thanks, guys!

If you search "Penn vs" you will see a whole bunch of threads talking about Penn vs. other schools when people were trying to make a decision between schools. I could seriously write all day about why I love Penn lol but here is the short version:

• Location- university right next to city, good for night time, good for day time touristy stuff like museums, good for keeping me sane!!
  • Students- i find that penn does a good job with not only picking people who are intelligent but who also have personal lives and are social. They are all very well rounded. Even myself, my stats were just avg but I was still accepted and fit in great
  • Hands on opportunities- there are too many to even attend all of them. Ranging from all specialties. Great experience in the hospital even as 1st-2nd yrs if you volunteer, work, shadow during intro to clinic classes. Every doctor in the hospital will take the time to explain every process going on and relate it to what you have learned so far
  • Ability to be lectured by well known famous clinicians- I love seeing their enthusiasm in the subject they study
  • Networking-this is also based on individual people. But if you like to network, you will have a ton of Penn students also going with you to symposiums, conferences, overseas trips, etc. It is nice to feel motivated by your peers instead of the only student exploring these opportunities
    (forgot an obvious one) Research opportunities- endless: vet school, graduate school, med school

RPV and SJ in the hiznee. TigerWillow, it's time for a "lunch break" and get on that boogie board.

Hey, we have trees over here. They grow magically out of the concrete and in perfect rows along Normandie Avenue. I lived in Rochester, NY for a while. All the greenery was frightening but I totally dug the winter gear and accessories. I put on my LL Bean snowboots today. It rained for about 30 minutes in LA and I was TOTALLY PREPARED!

I was walking bosses dog right now on the beach. It was raining and totally windy and I was totally NOT prepared. Thankfully no seagull pooped on me, but I still managed to get sand in my eye.

And I have a cold to boot.

Although I too am in CA, I might as well be in a different state than you folks since I'm Norcal. Here, our beaches are muggy and the water is dark. We have redwood trees and Lake Tahoe. Totally different worlds.

Bisbee, however, is from upstate NY where they have these contraptions called trees. And they have a second wardrobe? Ee GADS
Yeah, and Emiloo is here, too (though her I.S is Florida). If you want to go to UPenn, you'd better get used to the trees because Pennsylvania has them too! And you'd better start shopping for thermal underwear (second wardrobe).

yes but can you climb them and read a book in peace or even do your homework if you can get a good one.

And welcome all you new socks and hope we will soon get on the interview list and better yet Upenn class of 2016.

If you search "Penn vs" you will see a whole bunch of threads talking about Penn vs. other schools when people were trying to make a decision between schools. I could seriously write all day about why I love Penn lol but here is the short version:

• Location- university right next to city, good for night time, good for day time touristy stuff like museums, good for keeping me sane!!
  • Students- i find that penn does a good job with not only picking people who are intelligent but who also have personal lives and are social. They are all very well rounded. Even myself, my stats were just avg but I was still accepted and fit in great
  • Hands on opportunities- there are too many to even attend all of them. Ranging from all specialties. Great experience in the hospital even as 1st-2nd yrs if you volunteer, work, shadow during intro to clinic classes. Every doctor in the hospital will take the time to explain every process going on and relate it to what you have learned so far
  • Ability to be lectured by well known famous clinicians- I love seeing their enthusiasm in the subject they study
  • Networking-this is also based on individual people. But if you like to network, you will have a ton of Penn students also going with you to symposiums, conferences, overseas trips, etc. It is nice to feel motivated by your peers instead of the only student exploring these opportunities
    (forgot an obvious one) Research opportunities- endless: vet school, graduate school, med school

Thank you!

This makes me want Upenn even more!!!