Penn Plaza Prometric, NY: Unsealed Earplugs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReadyToRumble

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taking a test at Penn Plaza Prometric in NYC? I called the other day to ask if I could bring in earplugs, they said it was fine. I asked if they should be sealed. The lady replied as if I was crazy for asking and that no, they didn't have to be sealed. Can anyone verify that they haven't had a problem before at this center (I'll be in suite 1540)? MCAT Essentials says they have to be sealed but each place enforces whatever rules they want. I'm just afraid that a different person will be there and say no to loose earplugs. I have a ton of earplugs because I got a bulk pack but if I have to I guess I'll buy a sealed set. Test is tomorrow, thanks for any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone taking a test at Penn Plaza Prometric in NYC? I called the other day to ask if I could bring in earplugs, they said it was fine. I asked if they should be sealed. The lady replied as if I was crazy for asking and that no, they didn't have to be sealed. Can anyone verify that they haven't had a problem before at this center (I'll be in suite 1540)? MCAT Essentials says they have to be sealed but each place enforces whatever rules they want. I'm just afraid that a different person will be there and say no to loose earplugs. I have a ton of earplugs because I got a bulk pack but if I have to I guess I'll buy a sealed set. Test is tomorrow, thanks for any responses.

Better to be safe. Just spend the $2 and buy a new one that is individually packaged.

I took it there last month, actually. Checking in and out was comparable to being on a military compound, haha. Nonetheless, my suggestion is that you make sure they are sealed. Additionally, they have noise-cancelling headphones at the site which do the job quite well.

took it there last year, they didn't have to be sealed you just couldn't take the package/container inside with you.

I did not take it at this specific location.

My earplugs were sealed because I didn't want to take chances, but they also had me "squeeze the earplugs" -- probably to check that there was not an electronic device in there.

I am just adding this because if your are not sealed, I think they have other ways to check to make sure nothing fishy is going on.