Penn vs. UConn vs. BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Penn vs. UConn vs. BU

• Penn

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • UConn

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • BU

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

therealdentalgal

Reaction score
**I am a Massachusetts resident**
PENN ~550K
Pros
  • Ivy league
  • High rates of matching into a speciality
  • Strong clinical/didactic program
  • More people that are my personality
  • More to do in the city//Philly is cool
  • New facility; unranked after 1-10
Cons
  • EXPENSIVE
  • City life is expensive
  • No Pass/fail
  • Far from home + don’t know anyone
UCONN - NE resident ~(230K) - can convert to a state resident after D1
Pros:
  • Pass/fail
  • Small class size ~48
  • High rates of matching into speciality
  • Strong integrated med curriculum
  • In-state after first year (cheap tuition)
  • Close to home + have a good friend that I know that goes there
Cons
  • Location wise, in the middle of no where
  • Clinical is okay
BU ~ 312K after scholarship
Pros:
  • Got a scholarship (25k/year)
  • know TONS of people that go there
  • close to home
  • new facility
  • I love Boston
  • great vibes of students + helpful community
Cons:
  • EXPENSIVE
  • Boston IS expensive
  • no pass/fail
Summary:
I intend to specialize in the future. I am leaning towards UConn, but I feel like I want to experience living in the city which Penn/BU has. UConn would be close to home, but the location is like out of nowhere. Is location THAT important, how will I socialize and meet other people? I am definitely an extroverted person, and love to meet people. UConn has been my dream school, I am just concerned about location in terms of meeting people and socializing; it makes the most sense financially. Regarding Penn and BU, Penn has a higher specializing means, and both of them are in the city (and expensive). Thank you for your input! - PLEASE share why

Members don't see this ad.

UConn Easy. You will still have 47 other people in your class to interact with, hang out with outside of class and I am sure that you can find fun things to do with them as well even if it is in the middle of nowhere. You will love attending a P/F school, especially if you want to specialize.

Reactions: 1 users
Go w UConn -- you can visit the surrounding cities for far less than the extra cash you'll be spending on the other schools. UConn is a great program w great match statistics as well.

Paying an extra $300k simply bc the city is "cool" would be a little foolish imo. I went to Penn and loved my experience but would not have gone if I had a comparable option that was far cheaper. If you get a sizeable scholarship from Penn then maybe I'd say you can consider it but as it stands you shouldn't even consider it based on price.

Members don't see this ad :)
**I am a Massachusetts resident**
PENN ~550K
Pros
  • Ivy league
  • High rates of matching into a speciality
  • Strong clinical/didactic program
  • More people that are my personality
  • More to do in the city//Philly is cool
  • New facility; unranked after 1-10
Cons
  • EXPENSIVE
  • City life is expensive
  • No Pass/fail
  • Far from home + don’t know anyone
UCONN - NE resident ~(230K) - can convert to a state resident after D1
Pros:
  • Pass/fail
  • Small class size ~48
  • High rates of matching into speciality
  • Strong integrated med curriculum
  • In-state after first year (cheap tuition)
  • Close to home + have a good friend that I know that goes there
Cons
  • Location wise, in the middle of no where
  • Clinical is okay
BU ~ 312K after scholarship
Pros:
  • Got a scholarship (25k/year)
  • know TONS of people that go there
  • close to home
  • new facility
  • I love Boston
  • great vibes of students + helpful community
Cons:
  • EXPENSIVE
  • Boston IS expensive
  • no pass/fail
Summary:
I intend to specialize in the future. I am leaning towards UConn, but I feel like I want to experience living in the city which Penn/BU has. UConn would be close to home, but the location is like out of nowhere. Is location THAT important, how will I socialize and meet other people? I am definitely an extroverted person, and love to meet people. UConn has been my dream school, I am just concerned about location in terms of meeting people and socializing; it makes the most sense financially. Regarding Penn and BU, Penn has a higher specializing means, and both of them are in the city (and expensive). Thank you for your input! - PLEASE share why
cheapest...

Take the train to NYC or Boston. Enjoy living in a city when you are earning money.

It's one thing to explore a city as an undergraduate but you won't be doing that if you have to hunker in your lab and mannequin.

See how you would interact interprofessionally with other health professional students.

We interview WAY more people from UConn than I think any of other school, besides maybe UNC. Go to Conn amigo

How did you calculate UConn as being only 230K? Also if you end up going i'll see you there!