People say not to start TBR unless you have content down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneGoal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read some comments here that say since TBR is challenging, it's not good to start off with it? But then I read conflicting comments that say TBR is the best option for people who really need a strong content review like I do and well suited for people who have been out of the prereqs for quite some time since it is very detailed. What is true?

Members don't see this ad.

To some extent, both. TBR is a good source for content review, but that's not all. It teaches you tricks and shortcuts that help eliminate choices, thus saving you time. As for practice, the style of their questions, which are passage based, is a big plus. When I finished physics review and went on to do the AAMC practices, I didn't notice a big change in the style. It felt like it was just another passage.

I said in a different thread that I preferred TPR over TBR after taking the MCAT twice. I just wanna say that there are people who have aced the MCAT using TBR. There are people who have aced the MCAT using TPR. And the same goes for people who have used Kaplan, EK, and whatever else is out there. And then there are people who have not done so well with each of the prep companies.

I guess my point is to not choose a certain company over another JUST because a bunch of people said to do so. Choose the prep company that best fits you. I think TBR is a fantastic source but it just didn't go well for me because I really didn't understand some of their hardcore passages (which is basically all of their passages). I thought TPR was better simply because their passages were easier to comprehend.

If you're not learning anything after going over many passages, then what's the point of sticking with that prep company that everyone tells you to use. The MCAT does not care if you used EK over Kaplan or TBR over TPR. The MCAT only cares about the information that you know. So you might as well go with the prep company that you can best learn from in a limited amount of time.