PEPID vs Epocrates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahowardmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what y'all think about these mobile resources? I'm starting rotations next year, and we're doing a lot of DDx at my school so I'm interested in getting something to make my life easier. Thoughts?

Also, any current coupon codes you might know of? I intended to buy PEPID outright, based on an ecstatic review from a preceptor, but it's $250/year. Whoa.

Members don't see this ad.

Both Mobile Merck Medicus and Medscape are quite content rich and are free. Skyscape Outlines in Clinical Medicine is also free. I would check these out before I plunked down $250 for PEPID as an MS. The truth is, the most valuable thing on a smart phone is a drug database (see if your school has any deals going with LexiComp. Where I did my fellowship, they did) and a lab value reference (The Merck Medicus has avery nice one on Android and iOS. MDEZlabs is a nice free one for iOS). The problem with larger information banks is that they often don't hit the sweet spot for brevity vs. depth of conveyed understanding for the medical student (they tend to hit it a little better for the resident) making a 250 dollar investment a steep one for what you might gain out of it (but hey, free is free).

Check to make sure your school doesn't provide those for you. We get pepid for free on our mobile devices along with dynamed and a bunch of other junk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uptodate has a student monthly subscription that I recently starting using and I find it quite useful compared to the other stuff I have. Plus it's decent for actual treatment and management info than the other stuff. They also have a decent drug database but I believe they partnered with Lexicomp for that part.

i use pepid every time i work. i'm finding epocrates bloated and slow to load. i also use wikiem, which is free, but hit or miss. i have the free skyscape and medscape but 90% of the time it's pepid first.

Morning ahowardmd, I use pepid and I found a promocode on their facebook page that gave me $25dollars off. Try using FACEBOOK25 when you checkout on pepid's page.

My school has a subscription to Uptodate, which I use to read up on DDx/workup/management for my patients. It's a bit of a pain to load up on a smartphone or other mobile device, but I usually have the time to pull it up on a computer when I need it. I use Epocrates only for looking up drug dosing.