Epocrates or Tarascon's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waysensei

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start my 3rd year rotations and would like to know which one to get.

Members don't see this ad.

Both...especially since the other is free any way.

Taracson's you can refer to without looking like you're goofing off on your phone during rounds

Epocrates is much better and offers more up to date info. Also gives you the mechanism of action of the drugs which is a gaping hole in Taracson's

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's another vote for Epocrates. Medscape also has a nice drug app.

I just downloaded the free version of epocrates. Seems pretty snazzy. I wish I used it during second year when i didnt know WTF a drug was for. Has anyone seen anyone with an IPAD on the floor?

I just downloaded the free version of epocrates. Seems pretty snazzy. I wish I used it during second year when i didnt know WTF a drug was for. Has anyone seen anyone with an IPAD on the floor?

I've got one. Debating whether or not to ever use it on the wards...I just don't wanna be THAT GUY. Fits in my white coat pocket perfectly, without its case though...

I'm about to start my 3rd year rotations and would like to know which one to get.

I use both on the floor. Tarascon is great for a 2-second reference on dosages and routes of elimination/pregnancy risks, while Epocrates is a bit more in depth. Tarascon is quicker but less informative, while Epocrates is a bit slower but has more info.

I've beaten my preceptor in the race to look up a dosage using Tarascon, and Epocrates has a superb multi-drug checker.

Try both.

I've got one. Debating whether or not to ever use it on the wards...I just don't wanna be THAT GUY. Fits in my white coat pocket perfectly, without its case though...

:laugh:I'm having the same internal debate. I don't want the resident to think, "what a spoiled prick." I wish they knew that I just love gadgets!

But really, it would be a great asset.

:laugh:I'm having the same internal debate. I don't want the resident to think, "what a spoiled prick." I wish they knew that I just love gadgets!

But really, it would be a great asset.

I know. I mean, I'm not spoiled, my wife just has a job. Not taking it on day 1 (today. gulp!), will feel it out.

Is Tarascon's available in iPad native format, I know lexi comp is but Epocrates isn't. So I'm wondering if Tarascon's is?

Also I'm not planning on bringing my iPad until the end of the first week at the minimum, I don't want to look like a tool

i have both, but epocrates is definitely faster

As an intern I keep both handy. I was very thankful I had a paper reference the night my PDA malfunctioned right at the beginning of a call night. :(

I'm thinking of getting either an IPad or an Ipod touch. The upside to the IPad would be larger screen size to read through ebooks. The downside is the size and the "THAT GUY" factor as you so eloquently say.

I'm having some trouble deciding. I need the wisdom of SDN to help me make a decision here.

I'm considering getting an iPod Touch as well, but wanted to make sure all the "must have" programs work on it. I know Epocrates does. Do the other programs mentioned in this thread work on the iPod Touch too? Does UpToDate work?

Thanks so much for the help!

Yes, provided there is a WiFi connection. UpToDate is a web-based app. You access it through Safari.

I'm considering getting an iPod Touch as well, but wanted to make sure all the "must have" programs work on it. I know Epocrates does. Do the other programs mentioned in this thread work on the iPod Touch too? Does UpToDate work?

Thanks so much for the help!

I wanted to point out that Epocrates isn't 100% reliable, particularly for drug dosages. While working as a pharmacist intern several years ago, I noticed mistakes and started using Lexi-Comp instead, which I used all throughout my clinical clerkships without incident. So in this instance, I guess you really get what you pay for? But several colleagues have noticed shortcomings with Epocrates as well and none of the pharmacists I work with use it in the workplace. It's fine for looking up basic information like what the drug is for, dosage forms, etc. But always double check with another source for dose information.

As an intern I keep both handy. I was very thankful I had a paper reference the night my PDA malfunctioned right at the beginning of a call night. :(

or it dies cause you forgot the charger