Per diem for NAPA - direct contact vs using a locum agency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nightshade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

There is a per diem job in NH advertised by NAPA and some locum agencies. I was wondering if it is better to contact them directly and negotiate the rate/contract vs using any locum company to represent me. I am not worried about a buyout - I won't consider working for NAPA full time. I read here on forums that NAPA doesn't like to negotiate, but I guess it also can be area specific and experience may differ from one person to another.
It would be reasonable to think that I should be able to negotiate a better deal on my own since there is no 3rd party which is getting paid for their services, but I am not sure it is always the case - some things make little sense.

Any advice or extra information regarding working as per diem for NAPA? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If you already know about it why would you go through a third party?

Reactions: 1 users
It’s weird. Third party can pay more

It depend where the money is actually coming from

Some hospitals budget locums money directly (say napa has contract). The actual hospital may actually offer to pay a third party company locums money out of a different pot than napa pot.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Locums may “pay” more but you won’t get the shifts because those shifts will go to the direct contractors who negotiated a cheaper rate.

If you already know about it why would you go through a third party?
Because it seems that for some strange reason some locum companies can negotiate a better deal, and they will be the ones dealing with NAPA instead of me. I don't have any experience with locum companies, the knowledge I gathered was from forums and from comparing some direct ads vs matching the same job with a locum ad.

I heard some negative feedback regarding this specific NAPA's recruitment department, although it came from a person who was considering a permanent position (obviously that did not happen).

Locums may “pay” more but you won’t get the shifts because those shifts will go to the direct contractors who negotiated a cheaper rate.
A good point if they have enough people willing to work there per diem and maybe even competing with each other for the shifts. At the same time there has to be someone at NAPA to monitor all that, and fill the schedule taking into the consideration how much each locum is earning. If they are understaffed by several anesthesiologists, I would think they have bigger things to worry about, though you never know with these mega companies :)

contact napa, get a rate. if its less than locums. go locums.

sometimes the funding can be complicated and different, resulting in more pay for locum

Reactions: 1 users
A good point if they have enough people willing to work there per diem and maybe even competing with each other for the shifts. At the same time there has to be someone at NAPA to monitor all that, and fill the schedule taking into the consideration how much each locum is earning. If they are understaffed by several anesthesiologists, I would think they have bigger things to worry about, though you never know with these mega companies :)
Perhaps, but just like any anesthesia group there is a site Chief or group leader who is responsible for monitoring all this stuff. If the hospital is paying NAPA for anesthesia services (cost plus vs stipend) then there’s an extra layer where the hospital too wants to see the rates for staffing.

• Hmm
contact napa, get a rate. if its less than locums. go locums.

sometimes the funding can be complicated and different, resulting in more pay for locum
Has anyone done it this way? Won't I burn the bridges by submitting my CV directly to NAPA and then trying to get the same job via a locum agency?

Perhaps, but just like any anesthesia group there is a site Chief or group leader who is responsible for monitoring all this stuff. If the hospital is paying NAPA for anesthesia services (cost plus vs stipend) then there’s an extra layer where the hospital too wants to see the rates for staffing.
Don't they also consider your work ethics, up to date knowledge for certain procedures and ability to get along with the rest of the crew? What if one locum fits better than another? Will they really be petty and not use him or her because those people cost a bit more at the end?

• Haha
Don't they also consider your work ethics, up to date knowledge for certain procedures and ability to get along with the rest of the crew? What if one locum fits better than another? Will they really be petty and not use him or her because those people cost a bit more at the end?
Usually if you have a liscence and a pulse …..

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Napa is weird. They would only pay my buddy $275/hr ($265/hr since he doesn’t carry own insurance) in northeast.

Same exact hospital. Staff care or comp health is paying him $300/hr. And staff care/comp health covers his malpractice

So I really do not know what to make it to be honest.

Reactions: 2 users
Absolutely. All of that plus clinical need (ie they need a Peds anesthesiologist and you fit the bill.)

I was in a very similar situation. At the end I took a lper-diem 1099 from an agency for less.

X (base agency rate)
X + 5% (W2 NAPA)
X + 10 % (1099 NAPA)
Paid Hourly

I am sure I did the right thing for me. But my rationale is somewhat convoluted.