Per diem hospital staff position hourly rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inpatientRPH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)I am considering a per diem hospital position in Nothern California. I am not sure what the fair hourly rate to ask for this position since I have never done a per diem or PRN.

Any advice on what to ask for?;)

Members don't see this ad.

AFAIK, in most cases per diems are paid the same hourly rate as the regular staff people.

:)I am considering a per diem hospital position in Nothern California. I am not sure what the fair hourly rate to ask for this position since I have never done a per diem or PRN.

Any advice on what to ask for?;)

Depends on how far north you go homeboy...

Members don't see this ad :)
Where I'm per diem, I make $63/hr. Staff make $55+benefits. I'm in humboldt county.

WTF? How long have you been out? When did the per diem rate drop so low in Humboldt? One in Eureka/Arcata (I think it was one of those two...) was paying like $85++/hr. like 2 years ago...

63ish is about the same here in Texas. It's about 10 more than staff, but no benefits, called in to cover weekends and holidays. I prefer per diem any day over paying $80/hr to some agency ones that just make a mess of things.

Reactions: 1 user
63ish is about the same here in Texas. It's about 10 more than staff, but no benefits, called in to cover weekends and holidays. I prefer per diem any day over paying $80/hr to some agency ones that just make a mess of things.

This may be a stupid question, but what is the difference between per diem and PRN positions??

I think PRN's are considered hospital employees, per diem's are consider contract workers.

I think PRN's are considered hospital employees, per diem's are consider contract workers.

There seems to be a war between the per diem pharmacists and the full-time pharmacists at my place. Full time pharmacists are part of the union and per diem are not. The DOP and administration seem to always ask the per diem to dig up dirt on the union pharmacists.

Working with the per diem's is annoying to me as an intern. My hours say 6PM-11PM (we close at 11PM). The union pharmacists, have to clock out at exactly 11PM, regardless of whether or not there are any orders left to fill or not. The ******* per diem pharmacists stay until the queue is clear of orders, and don't let me go home (because they get paid extra if they stay longer). Mother****ers, I usually have plans to go out after work. I don't care if I'm getting paid to stay.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the 1199 union. Most hospital workers are part of it I believe, other than physicians who I believe are contract/claims based.

Ya, we can't be in a union :(

There seems to be a war between the per diem pharmacists and the full-time pharmacists at my place. Full time pharmacists are part of the union and per diem are not. The DOP and administration seem to always ask the per diem to dig up dirt on the union pharmacists.

Working with the per diem's is annoying to me as an intern. My hours say 6PM-11PM (we close at 11PM). The union pharmacists, have to clock out at exactly 11PM, regardless of whether or not there are any orders left to fill or not. The ******* per diem pharmacists stay until the queue is clear of orders, and don't let me go home (because they get paid extra if they stay longer). Mother****ers, I usually have plans to go out after work. I don't care if I'm getting paid to stay.

Opposite with floaters at retail in my experience, but that's probably b/c most of them have to travel 1+ hours to get there and the regular pharmacists don't want to leave the pharmacy a disaster for their colleagues. (Yes I know floater and per diem are not the same).

My current PRN position pays 15% higher than full-time.

Where I'm per diem, I make $63/hr. Staff make $55+benefits. I'm in humboldt county.
that seam low for Cali- cost of living a lot more there than in NC - at my hospital - all part timers (less than 36 hours a week) - get no PDO but an extra 10% and all other benefits - per diem gets no benefits, but an extra 10% - average salary is probably low 50's

that seam low for Cali- cost of living a lot more there than in NC - at my hospital - all part timers (less than 36 hours a week) - get no PDO but an extra 10% and all other benefits - per diem gets no benefits, but an extra 10% - average salary is probably low 50's

he said humboldt county, 'nuff said.

Reactions: 1 user
Do PRN pharmacists get raises annually automatically or do they have to request for raises?