Perfect GPA, LOW MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wfent21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I obviously know my chances suck, BUT I am ranked #1 in my class with a 4.0. I have shadowed an MD for 300+ hours and am starting to shadow a DO in a few days and will end up having 270 hours w/ this DO. I am the founder and Co-president of a club at my university, I have done some research, but not a lot, I have worked my whole college career anywhere from 30-50 hrs a week and should have great LORs if I even get a chance to send them in:mad:

Here's the kicker...my MCAT is a 20...I believe this is because I stupidly jumped the gun and signed up for a date in May which only left me about two weeks to prepare after finals and I hadn't taken physics yet so I went in a little blindly. Somehow I was getting 27s on my practice, but I think those tests were not up to AAMC standards hardness wise. Do you think they will possibly see that I hadn't taken physics yet or maybe that my GPA is perfect so that'll help at all? Obviously if I don't get in this time around I will be retaking, I just didn't want to retake until I finish physics which would put me having to reapply next year and I wasn't down with taking a year off.

Members don't see this ad.

Do NOT retake the MCAT until you are fully ready to. And yes, based upon many posts I've seen here, the practice exams are much easier than the real thing.

The 4.0 will not save you for a DO program. You displayed some poor choice making, and I have clinician colleagues who would hold that against you.

Ok so I obviously know my chances suck, BUT I am ranked #1 in my class with a 4.0. I have shadowed an MD for 300+ hours and am starting to shadow a DO in a few days and will end up having 270 hours w/ this DO. I am the founder and Co-president of a club at my university, I have done some research, but not a lot, I have worked my whole college career anywhere from 30-50 hrs a week and should have great LORs if I even get a chance to send them in:mad:

Here's the kicker...my MCAT is a 20...I believe this is because I stupidly jumped the gun and signed up for a date in May which only left me about two weeks to prepare after finals and I hadn't taken physics yet so I went in a little blindly. Somehow I was getting 27s on my practice, but I think those tests were not up to AAMC standards hardness wise. Do you think they will possibly see that I hadn't taken physics yet or maybe that my GPA is perfect so that'll help at all? Obviously if I don't get in this time around I will be retaking, I just didn't want to retake until I finish physics which would put me having to reapply next year and I wasn't down with taking a year off.

Do NOT retake the MCAT until you are fully ready to. And yes, based upon many posts I've seen here, the practice exams are much easier than the real thing.

The 4.0 will not save you for a DO program. You displayed some poor choice making, and I have clinician colleagues who would hold that against you.

Ok so let's say I don't get in this time around seeing as I probably won't. What is your best advice on ways to prepare for the MCAT other than pure studying? Like what study tools would you suggest?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to all the newer schools and hope for the best. TBH, I think you'd have a decent shot at LUCOM even though they've supposedly set mcat section "cutoffs" for consideration.

Apply to all the newer schools and hope for the best. TBH, I think you'd have a decent shot at LUCOM even though they've supposedly set mcat section "cutoffs" for consideration.

I actually live in VA so I was thinking about them, but I didn't apply when I saw the minimum cut off...also I haven't taken biochem and I'm not signed up to take it SO that was another reason, but I could always just update and sign up for biochem. Why do you think a good shot at LUCOM?

And also what newer schools would you suggest?

And also what newer schools would you suggest?

LUCOM
CUSOM
ACOM
MUCOM
VCOM's (well known for taking those with high gpa low mcat combos)
SOMA (someone got in last year with 3.4/20)
WCU
PCOM-Ga
WVSOM
KYCOM
LMU

so what if some reject you pre-secondary...less work and money spent.

lots of new schools have popped up with too few applicants to compensate (right now, at least). get em while they're hot.

LUCOM
CUSOM
ACOM
MUCOM
VCOM's (well known for taking those with high gpa low mcat combos)
SOMA (someone got in last year with 3.4/20)
WCU
PCOM-Ga
WVSOM
KYCOM
LMU

so what if some reject you pre-secondary...less work and money spent.

lots of new schools have popped up with too few applicants to compensate (right now, at least). get em while they're hot.

You are awesome thank you!

Don't waste your money at cusom. They have a cut off of 7 per subsection.

Ok so let's say I don't get in this time around seeing as I probably won't. What is your best advice on ways to prepare for the MCAT other than pure studying? Like what study tools would you suggest?
My suggestion BR for Physics/Chem, TPRH for Bio/O.Chem w/Chad videos as supplement. I would strongly encourage you to retake your MCAT instead of wasting your money now or ending up LUCOM, which is the only school I can see you having hope.

Honestly...just wait till next year. You took the MCAT without studying (two weeks does not count). If you prepare (with Kaplan/PR/exam crackers/ whatever) correctly you could see an average of 8-12 point increase! How can you apply now when you know you could do so much better?? and taking a year off isn't a bad thing if you read posts on here from LizzyM and such ad coms love non trads with high stats!

and don't take the MCAT until after Physics 1 and 2!! That covers half and sometimes a little more of an entire section. We're you expecting to learn all of that material in two weeks? If you apply now ad coms will have some serious concerns about your over confidence/ignorance/naivety.....