Personal mental illness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last, as far as the prevalence/incidence rates for psychiatric disorders go in our field, I honestly don't have clue. Anecdotally my observations tell me that Obsessive Compulsive Personality traits are common in our field (i.e., Call me Dr. Obvious), symptoms of Generalized Anxiety Disorder are frequently reported, and episodes of Adjustment Disorder can occur at various points of training in manner that is quite predictable - dissertation proposal, comps, dissertation defense, match day, during internship, during post doc, EPPP.

Have a good one....

Eh, I'm really iffy about classifying adjustment disorders as "mental illness," tbh. And yes, anxiety may run high, but does it actually meet the criteria--including the impairment criterion --for GAD? Same thing with OCPD traits versus clinically impairing OCPD.

The last part of my post was meant to be read with some levity ala Call Dr. Obvious, given that anxiety, perfectionism (i.e., OCPD trait), and stress during common educational/training milestones (i.e., dissertation, match, internship, EPPP) are all common to the graduate student experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The last part of my post was meant to be read with some levity ala Call Dr. Obvious, given that anxiety, perfectionism (i.e., OCPD trait), and stress during common educational/training milestones (i.e., dissertation, match, internship, EPPP) are all common to the graduate student experience.
This is a funny board because we bounce back and forth from the humorous to the serious so quickly this type of misunderstanding happens alot. I tend to be pretty flip at times and always wonder how that will come across. Some of it is an occupational hazard that affects other relationships. For example, my brother will make a casual comment about the "insanity defense" and I chime in about the legal definition of insanity as opposed to a clinical diagnosis. At that point, he usually makes a sarcastic comment. :rolleyes: