Personal Statement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyesosceles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the consensus for writing a personal statement as a reapplicant?
I am reapplying for the same field for the second time after not having matched the first time.
Should I be open about not matching, or just write a personal statement without harping on it/ out-right mentioning it?

Members don't see this ad.

What's the consensus for writing a personal statement as a reapplicant?
I am reapplying for the same field for the second time after not having matched the first time.
Should I be open about not matching, or just write a personal statement without harping on it/ out-right mentioning it?
They'll already know based on your graduation year. The more important thing though is whether you SHOULD be applying during your intern year if your application hasn't changed much from MS-4 vs. doing a research fellowship and then applying.

Really need to consider the point made by DermViser. I see this come up often enough that this really needs to be addressed. Make sure you've considered this well. If you still feel you should go for it then I wish you the best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well a couple things. Just started an intern year, that part's already decided. What are someone's chances who does an intern year, then does a research year, and then is aiming to match and then begin an advanced residency 3 years after graduating? I'm not sure if that would work, there's still a gap year.

Given the situation, would you tackle the topic of not matching directly in the PS and explain how you've worked through it or just write a normal one and not throw the cat out of the bag straight at em?

I personally feel a PS should focus on strengths you want to emphasize in your application and unfortunately being a re-applicant is a potential weakness. You should definitely have a response ready if it comes up in interviews (emphasizing your persistence and commitment to the field) but I personally would want to highlight other things in your PS since you're just trying to make that initial cut where any potential red flags may keep you from getting an interview. (Disclaimer: I just matched derm this past year but this is what I've heard from some PD's I've spoken with).

Well a couple things. Just started an intern year, that part's already decided. What are someone's chances who does an intern year, then does a research year, and then is aiming to match and then begin an advanced residency 3 years after graduating? I'm not sure if that would work, there's still a gap year.

Given the situation, would you tackle the topic of not matching directly in the PS and explain how you've worked through it or just write a normal one and not throw the cat out of the bag straight at em?

Agree with everyone above. Regarding your chances, they are better for someone who does an intern year and then a research year. There's still a gap year but you have a variety of options to fill that time. To reapply immediately as an intern means you strongly feel you just slipped through the cracks the first time.

As everyone else mentioned, I would use the PS to emphasize your strengths. You should still have a good answer as to how you've worked through not matching as well as having good answers as to why you felt you didn't match, what has changed since your last applied (which is why I typically do NOT recommend immediately reapplying as an intern), and what about dermatology motivates you to continue applying.

Reactions: 1 user