Peru or Clinical Volunteering for Spring Break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scaredddd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand the first requires a lot of money ($750 plus plane tickets), but I'd prefer doing that than laying on the beach.

I also just started volunteering in a clinic (translate for doctor) and could do it almost everyday during spring break.

Because last minute tickets are so expensive, I'm leaning towards the second. I am going to Ghana this summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Doing either for only a week doesn't mean anything
I say pick the second one and continue doing it for a while

Peru sounds like a lot of fun. If you're doing it for fun, great! If it's a "medical mission", know that you won't be fooling anyone.

Volunteering in a clinic and turning down the trip to Peru will help your application. Do you need more clinical volunteering or are you already strong there?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed over one of my spring breaks before applying and it was some of the most productive time I've spent as a pre-med. You forget how hard it is to really commit a full week in the hospital, and when you do it can be eye opening (As an applicant of course).

Yes, I am doing it for.. well the foreseeable future. I'm just saying I can actually be there daily then.
Doing either for only a week doesn't mean anything
I say pick the second one and continue doing it for a while

Peru sounds like a lot of fun. If you're doing it for fun, great! If it's a "medical mission", know that you won't be fooling anyone.

Volunteering in a clinic and turning down the trip to Peru will help your application. Do you need more clinical volunteering or are you already strong there?
No, barely starting but will be strong (translator in clinic, hospital volunteer, shadowing, and working as CNA).

Dude, enjoy your week off. Nobody will accept you based on spending a week in Peru. If Peru is a vacation, do it.

Dude, enjoy your week off. Nobody will accept you based on spending a week in Peru. If Peru is a vacation, do it.
Yeah, my mom's convinced that these volunteering abroad things are great because her friend's son did a lot of them and got into medical school (I understand she's probably mistaken), but hey if she's willing to give me the money. ;)

I shadowed over one of my spring breaks before applying and it was some of the most productive time I've spent as a pre-med. You forget how hard it is to really commit a full week in the hospital, and when you do it can be eye opening (As an applicant of course).
Yay! I'm doing it. :)

Yay! I'm doing it. :)

If you MUST do something other than relax, then the translator opportunity sounds fantastic. Hope you have fun!

If you MUST do something other than relax, then the translator opportunity sounds fantastic. Hope you have fun!
Ah looks like it's time to memorize this translator dictionary they gave me.

My grades/current EC's show too much relaxation. :/