Pet Loss...so sad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CheetahGirl

Clinical Psychologist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My beloved, almost 11-year old, intelligent, beautiful, gentle giant German Shepherd died one-week ago. He had inoperable metastatic osteosarcoma and died peacefully at the vet with me and my husband holding him. :(

I raised him from a 7-week old puppy, and he "helped" us raise our kids (the new "puppies" on the block to him). He was always alert and up with me during all my late nights/early mornings working on papers/reports for graduate school (not to mention insomniac nights on SDN). He was a constant and consistent support, and a huge inspiration for perseverance, the way he would attack a bone :) (my pup would run with me too when he was younger).

Just wanted to share for some collective sympathy from those who understand how special pets are and how complicated pet bereavement can be. This cognitive dissonance/internalized conflict is so real because on one hand, I'm happy that my internship interviews are over & now looking forward to the results, but so sad that my family & I lost a passing soul & wonderful presence in our everyday lives. (BTW, my kids and husband are handling the loss well, but I'm a mess), which is why I searched this old SDN thread to read: 17 year old cat died yesterday--sad

Just a thought on MLK, Jr. day to cherish those who are with us in life & our hearts, and remember those who inspire us.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. Losing a pet feels like you lost part of yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm so sorry for you loss :( my partner & I just adopted a puppy a few months ago, and he already means so much to both of us. I can only imagine what you're going through right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is so tough. My dog is part of my family and has been through a lot with me.

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my beloved dog two years ago and I still miss her.

So sorry for your loss, my furbaby has been with me through my whole academic career...and I cannot imagine losing her during this stressful and difficult time. I am glad you have the support of your husband and children to help you through this. Sending positive vibes your way!

Sorry Cheetah. Find time to take care of yourself.

I am so sorry for your loss. I have a dog myself, and he means a lot to me. They are never around long enough.

My beloved, almost 11-year old, intelligent, beautiful, gentle giant German Shepherd died one-week ago. He had inoperable metastatic osteosarcoma and died peacefully at the vet with me and my husband holding him. :(

I raised him from a 7-week old puppy, and he "helped" us raise our kids (the new "puppies" on the block to him). He was always alert and up with me during all my late nights/early mornings working on papers/reports for graduate school (not to mention insomniac nights on SDN). He was a constant and consistent support, and a huge inspiration for perseverance, the way he would attack a bone :) (my pup would run with me too when he was younger).

Just wanted to share for some collective sympathy from those who understand how special pets are and how complicated pet bereavement can be. This cognitive dissonance/internalized conflict is so real because on one hand, I'm happy that my internship interviews are over & now looking forward to the results, but so sad that my family & I lost a passing soul & wonderful presence in our everyday lives. (BTW, my kids and husband are handling the loss well, but I'm a mess), which is why I searched this old SDN thread to read: 17 year old cat died yesterday--sad

Just a thought on MLK, Jr. day to cherish those who are with us in life & our hearts, and remember those who inspire us.

CheetahGirl - I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. :( Pets are family members, I view my two Siamese cats as my children. I have a special fondness for German Shepherds (my husband grew up with them and they lived with his parents after he moved out, but we would still see them often), and they are so incredibly sweet & loving, so intelligent, and such beautiful dogs. I am glad to hear that he passed peacefully with you and your husband there with him. I don't know you, but I do know that you are an incredibly kind person based on your posts and the PMs you and I have shared. I KNOW that he is happy in doggy heaven, that he is looking down on you with so much love, and that he is so thankful to have had you as his Mommy. I know that it is so tough, but he will always be in your heart, and he will always inspire you. I am so sorry. :(

Reactions: 1 users
CheetahGirl - I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. :( Pets are family members, I view my two Siamese cats as my children. I have a special fondness for German Shepherds (my husband grew up with them and they lived with his parents after he moved out, but we would still see them often), and they are so incredibly sweet & loving, so intelligent, and such beautiful dogs. I am glad to hear that he passed peacefully with you and your husband there with him. I don't know you, but I do know that you are an incredibly kind person based on your posts and the PMs you and I have shared. I KNOW that he is happy in doggy heaven, that he is looking down on you with so much love, and that he is so thankful to have had you as his Mommy. I know that it is so tough, but he will always be in your heart, and he will always inspire you. I am so sorry. :(

Siamesekitten, thank you! I'm in tears over your and everyone's reply..thank you! I'm needing a good cry, every now and then...lately. I haven't shared this on Facebook yet with my close family and friends because they would validate the deep saddness I'm feeling. I'm not ready for that because I needed to get through internship interviews. But, everyone here rocks the house. :love:

If anyone digs this thread up, refer back to 73BARMYPgsp's original thread about his 17-yr old cat, Eric. There are sweet poems posted there.