pet question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Jamie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is an odd question, i know. but does anyone have dogs? i was considering getting another dog to keep my other company while i'm in classes, plus i just really want another. i know that when i finally get into dental school he will get lonely because i will be gone A LOT. i'm just afraid i'll be too busy for the two. any one here have a lot of animals?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a rabbit. its as cute as a puppy but never gets bored or lonely. some of them are really smart they even know how to beg for food or treats.
but make sure you clean out the cage every 2 or 3 days. itself doesnt smell that bad. but its pee.. stinks a little. BUt its a great pet overall!

I onced rented an apartment from a person who had two dogs. One of them died and dog would unendingly bark while the person was gone. Annoying but even more so was pretty sad. Having another dog would definitely keep your dog company, especially if the dog is of the same breed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two dogs and they keep each other company.... but then again I have wife too and she is home with them a lot. So, I would say get another dog but try to spend as much time with them as possible outside of class. My big dog is cool and just wants to be around somebody...he just sits there, so I take him everywhere.

Good luck.

I have two dogs: a Dorkie (dachsund + yorkie) and a malti-poo....Well the malti-poo is my g/f's but it lives with me (she doesnt) and they keep each other company and dont really bark anymore when I leave b/c they have each other to play with.

thanks for all the input. this is what i wanted to hear. my dog now (pom rat terrier mix) is wonderful but extremely dependent. so i really am considering another. i just wanted to know that it is doable while being a very busy student.

I have a Maltese, and I think I will get him a buddy when I start d-school. He is so super spoiled and I don't think he'll be able to function w/out me (or at least another dog) there with him.

I have a Maltese, and I think I will get him a buddy when I start d-school. He is so super spoiled and I don't think he'll be able to function w/out me (or at least another dog) there with him.

Nice, I've got a teacup maltese and a weimaraner...what a pair!

I have a yorkie-chi (chorkie) that I got a while ago. She hated being left alone, so I recently adopted a pug-chi (chug). They are the best friends ever and so cute, I will have to upload a picture. I am very glad I did get the second dog because they hang out and play while I am at work all day instead of sit and be bored. I leave them for 8 hours per day sometimes, I just make sure they get a lot of exercise before and after the day. I got the first as a puppy and the second was 1 year old, it was super nice to get the second as an adult....much less work. Check out the humane society of petfinder.com Best of luck!!!!

There, got a picture. See, they even spoon!

I have a yorkie-chi (chorkie) that I got a while ago. She hated being left alone, so I recently adopted a pug-chi (chug). They are the best friends ever and so cute, I will have to upload a picture. I am very glad I did get the second dog because they hang out and play while I am at work all day instead of sit and be bored. I leave them for 8 hours per day sometimes, I just make sure they get a lot of exercise before and after the day. I got the first as a puppy and the second was 1 year old, it was super nice to get the second as an adult....much less work. Check out the humane society of petfinder.com Best of luck!!!!

well, i'm glad everyone has said that two are better...i really want to do it..i have a lot of time on my hands this semester, so i could even get a puppy. either way, i need a buddy for mine when things start getting more hectic. you're two are adorable in the spooning pic!

Nice, I've got a teacup maltese and a weimaraner...what a pair!

I want a weimaraner like nobody's business. I was considering getting a dog once I find out where I'll be for dental school, and I'm wondering how yours is with being alone for a couple of hours a day. Right now I live on 1098902168 acres of public park land and I want a big dog to run with if I stay in the area. Would you recommend getting one?