Pharm D, Ph D, or both?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

40wada

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was interested in becoming a professor, and teach for a college of pharmacy. My question is this: Can you become a professor and teach for a college of pharmacy with just a Pharm D, or do you need a Ph D, or both? Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

40wada said:
Hi all, I was interested in becoming a professor, and teach for a college of pharmacy. My question is this: Can you become a professor and teach for a college of pharmacy with just a Pharm D, or do you need a Ph D, or both? Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

You can definitely teach with just a PharmD but this will probably to clinical related.

For example....Some PharmDs that do residencies usually end up teaching what that specialized. I've met plenty.

But if you're into research, etc, get the PhD. Clinical, get the PharmD and get board certified in something.

If you want to teach Physiology, Pharmaceutics or Kinetics....you should aim for the PHD.

most professors at my school are pharmDs pHds...

the older ones have a BS in pharmacy and a phd in whatever they want.

i personally like the fact that over 90% of my instructors are pharmacists and try to keep it relevant (even the biochem and medchem people)

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah... just so everyone is straight i mean pharmd/phd as in the same person has two degrees.... not or....

not to say you missed that pharmacology Ph.D ;) but just so everyone else was cool

pharmacology said:
Yes I realized that...the second time reading your post. Which is why I reposted....had to change my original. :oops: I was thinking of deleting the post all together as it was a Ph.D rant on a Pharmacy forum. But you responded so I am going to leave it. I might as well let the soon-to-be Pharm.D's have a go at me :D

I understand the point that you are trying to make pharmacology. My question for you now is this- "How do you perceive a PharmD degree?" It is a terminal degree, but do you feel that they are actually competent and qualified based on their level of schooling? Competent enough to practice pharmacy in the community but not to teach? The PharmDs that make great teachers, are they the rule or the exception to the it? You infer that if med. schools go this route they may suffer so I take it that in general PharmDs are not as equipped as they need be to teach students in subjects such as Med. chem.

these are my personal questions as a potential student with hopes of entering pharmacy school in 2006.

pharmacology said:
Yes I realized that...the second time reading your post. Which is why I reposted....had to change my original. :oops: I was thinking of deleting the post all together as it was a Ph.D rant on a Pharmacy forum. But you responded so I am going to leave it. I might as well let the soon-to-be Pharm.D's have a go at me :D
i honestly completely agreed with everything you had to say....
i just didn't want everyone to be like.... wow her school blows

now our clinical faculty is a different story they are primarily pharmD only but a ton of them are board certified....

Isn't that how it's done in every school -- the Ph.D.'s teach the basic sciences? They're the true experts in the field since they have to keep up with the basic science research literature. I know that's how it's done in the pharmacy, medical, and dental schools at Maryland.

The M.D.s, Pharm.D.s (board certified usually), and D.D.S.'s teach the clinical portions since they're the experts in the practice of their fields. The dual degree ones with Ph.D.'s can teach both, but usually stick to basic sciences since they often concentrate on research.

pharmacology said:
My personal feeling is that you get the right professional to teach the course. They of course must be competent. But you get someone who is a basic science scientist to teach basic sciences. You get a clinical pharmacy practitioner to teach the clinical portions. Would you feel confident if a basic science Ph.D. taught you clinical? I doubt I would.

Now there are some clinical Ph.D. types....just as I said there are some very competent PharmD's who could teach basic science. However, "generally" I feel students are better off with having the correct professional to teach the appropriate material.

As far as what I feel about a PharmD...if trained correctly (and most are) they are exceptional practitioners. I certainly feel a PharmD can teach....but it depends on the subject (both PhD's and PharmD's likely need a couple of years extra training to be really adept in their field.....at least I did). I just feel that a PharmD's training is a bit weak to teach the basic sciences.

Hey I am a Ph.D. and I wanna keep my job :laugh: Plus I feel that I have more expertise in the field than a standard PharmD. Itwas the subject matter in which I was trained. Granted I am not a clinician but then again students must also be able to cull the necessary basic science information for use in the clinical portion of their training. I just don't teach what you need to know. I also teach what you may need to know in the future.

Pharmacology, good, well thought out post. I would also agree that the basic science coursework, such as Med Chem, Pharmacokinetics, Drug Metabolism, Pharmacology, etc. are the expertise and perview of many pharmaceutical sciences PhDs (such as you and I). And no question that PharmDs are eminently qualified to do the clinical instruction and leading preceptor programs. This same thought process holds true in medical schools as well. Just as you, I also look at this as all being complimentary, not competitive or antagonistic in any way, and hopefully the pharmacy folks on this forum will also come to that conclusion.

That being said....there are many PhDs who make great sources of information involving clinically related topics, such as teaching information about clinical trials (i.e. design, statistical interpretation, types of studies, etc). Also, both PhDs AND PharmDs can do a great job when it comes to teaching drug regulations (i.e. CFR info, FDA, OIG, etc).

The bigger problem I also have seen (and saw during my graduate school days at a TA) was how many pharmacy students were uninterested, or put in suboptimal effort when it came to basic science courses and any labs (esp. Med Chem classes). Like you said....many really were more interested in the clinically relevant courses, but the basic science is THE foundation of the clinical setting as we know it.

Overall, PhDs and PharmDs in pharmacy schools represent a fantastic team to make pharmacy students better prepared for their careers.

pharmacology said:
Hey I am a Ph.D. and I wanna keep my job :laugh: Plus I feel that I have more expertise in the field than a standard PharmD. Itwas the subject matter in which I was trained. Granted I am not a clinician but then again students must also be able to cull the necessary basic science information for use in the clinical portion of their training. I just don't teach what you need to know. I also teach what you may need to know in the future.

Hey pharmacology, so are you actually a professor with your PhD?

pharmacology, would you mind if i asked you how old you are? I am 26 right now, and I feel pretty old, but I was interested in becoming a professor with a PhD. I'm just worried that by the time I get my PhD, I will be too old. I also got the impression from one of my professors that when you are a PhD professor, you have to always be doing research. Is that true?