Pharm schools and PCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J00kie33

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many people have previously or are going to apply ONLY to pharmacy schools that do not require the PCAT just so they dont have to take it?

I was actually recommended by a few people to not take the PCAT if I dont have to, and that taking the PCAT may actually hurt your application (if you have a bad score) for schools that dont require the PCAT.

As of now Im going to only apply to schools that dont require the PCAT

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this matter.

Members don't see this ad.

J00kie33 said:
How many people have previously or are going to apply ONLY to pharmacy schools that do not require the PCAT just so they dont have to take it?

I was actually recommended by a few people to not take the PCAT if I dont have to, and that taking the PCAT may actually hurt your application (if you have a bad score) for schools that dont require the PCAT.

Do schools that don't require your PCAT look at your PCAT scores? I know Tuoro University DON'T require it, but you can submit it.. but that's optional.

I'm not sure about it though. My thought is.... to encourage you, if you're going to take your PCAT, DO AWESOME in it, so that it will help you in your application!! But I have yet the opportunity to take that exam to experience how tough it is... but that's my thought :p

J00kie33 said:

Hi J00kie33:

Actually I didn't take the PCAT either. I don't know if it'll really hurt your application or not but at the time of applying I was thinking of staying in Calif or waiting another year (if i don't get in). But since all the schools in CA are highly competitive, I tried to make my application look as good as it can. Such as getting good letter of recs. I had 4 letter of recs (but I only sent in 3 to most schools). One from my lab PA, one from a pharmacist i volunteered at, one from an O-chem prof (that I had for 2 classes), and one from a Prof i Helped TA o-chem for.

My GPA wasn't too high, so I did everything it can to make my application shine. My grammar isn't all that great so I paid like $100 for a company to revise my personal statement. I had several ECs and working experience.

But bottom line is, I think taking the PCAT is actually beneficially. It can give u more chances. You can apply to more pharm schools and if u do really good job, then it'll actually make ur application look better (my thought). If i can do everything all over, I'll definitely take the PCAT :cool:

Good luck