Pharmacists win! (this time)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Fargoan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
BISMARCK – North Dakota pharmacists and defenders of the state’s small towns came out on top Friday in one of the biggest battles of the 2009 Legislature.

The House soundly defeated a proposed repeal of the state’s 40-year-old law that requires pharmacies in the state be majority-owned by a pharmacist. House Bill 1440 went down on a 57-35 vote after an hour-long debate that at times got emotional.

“Trust the people of North Dakota,” said Rep. Jon Nelson, R-Rugby, who favored repeal and more choice for North Dakotans in where to shop for prescriptions.

“Let the people decide. Nobody’s forcing anyone to do anything different,” he said.

Nelson said that if the law is repealed, the Rugby hospital, on whose board he serves, would be able to operate a retail pharmacy.
“I think access can grow” if the law is repealed, he said.

The law is unique in the nation and explains why Wal-Mart, Walgreens and Target do not have pharmacies in their stores in North Dakota, where they would sell many of their prescriptions for $4 each.
That is why so many legislators and other North Dakotans said they supported the repeal.

Rep. Jasper Schneider, D-Fargo, a co-sponsor of the bill, asked, “Who’s really standing up for the 60,000” North Dakotans without insurance or who are under-insured. He asked if legislators were willing to go back to their home cities and admit they were protecting the interests of a few over that of most North Dakotans.

He countered arguments by pharmacists and defenders of the law who said North Dakota’s average prescription is $65 compared to the national $69 by noting that more than 20 states have lower-priced average prescription drugs than North Dakota, including Minnesota and South Dakota, which he said are “well below” North Dakota.

Rep. Lisa Meier, R-Bismarck, also favored repeal, saying that, if the state’s pharmacists really believe – as they have argued recently – that they already offer the lowest prices and best service, “What are they afraid of?”

Many who argued to keep the law said rural people could lose access to a pharmacy if their small-town drug store is forced to close after Wal-Mart or Walgreens open pharmacies, and that North Dakota’s law works well for its residents.

“We may not close that (small-town) drug store. But I’m not going to take that chance,” said Rep. Arlo Schmidt, D-Maddock.
Schmidt and Nelson serve the same district.

“I don’t think we should be ashamed of the North Dakota way,” said Rep. George Keiser, R-Bismarck, who defended the law.

Keiser said he doubted the arguments that overturning the law would lead to more variety and choice for pharmacy customers. He said that on a recent trip to Washington, D.C., he walked through the Georgetown area and saw four drug stores. Every one of them was a CVS, he said, and when he asked if there were any in the area that were not CVS, he was told no.

“They’re the Starbucks of pharmacies,” he said.

CVS, a national chain, operates in North Dakota as a successor to the Osco Drug chain of stores that was “grandfathered in” when the ownership law was passed in the 1960s. Another exception is the employee-owned chain of Thrifty White Drug that has many stores in the state.

Rep. Jim Kasper, R-Fargo, said that Iceland and Norway until recently had laws similar to North Dakota’s, and after repealing them, saw their prescription drug prices “skyrocket” and now they can’t undo the repeal.

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” he said.

The bill has resulted in some of the heaviest, most expensive lobbying of any legislative session in recent years, along with a deluge of e-mails to lawmakers from people on both sides of the issue.
The prime sponsor, Rep. Bob Martinson, said he believed before he introduced the bill that “this would be an absolute no-brainer. I was really wrong on that, wasn’t I?”

Members don't see this ad.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." So awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP,

Congrats to you and your pharmacists in ND. It makes me want to move there! :thumbup:

Awsome! It is good to know there is at least one state out there that does not have thier head up thier ash!

Seriously...It makes me want to move to North Dakota!

North and South Dakota both have major population issues. Most of their young people are leaving. They're going to be having some major healthcare issues because very few of the people who get healthcare degrees from their state universities stay in those states.

We would welcome any and all comers! As long as you don't complain about the weather too loudly (especially temps above zero).

Seriously though, I do hope to one day own a pharmacy and this makes it more likely that I will be able to do so.