Pharmacists working overlapping shifts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newpharmacist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys work together? Do you often find if you are new to the setting ( not new to business) some RpHs taking advantage of you and trying to dump work on you?
How do you deal with slackers , trying to pretend to work but not actually doing any work? What is a smart, may be not the right , ting to do? (I easily get irritated with people when they try to pull this on me. And I can easily loose it ).

Members don't see this ad.

Get used to it. I deal with it now and I feel like Im going to explode over it. Even told my DM and his response "he cant do anything". Then Im the one only having to take on more and more. And then due to the stress I take on, it makes me miserable. And the kicker is, people complain on me! I only hope something opens up and then they can find someone else to blame!

How do you guys work together? Do you often find if you are new to the setting ( not new to business) some RpHs taking advantage of you and trying to dump work on you?
How do you deal with slackers , trying to pretend to work but not actually doing any work? What is a smart, may be not the right , ting to do? (I easily get irritated with people when they try to pull this on me. And I can easily loose it ).

Transfer out. don't lose it and get fired.

Get used to it. I deal with it now and I feel like Im going to explode over it. Even told my DM and his response "he cant do anything". Then Im the one only having to take on more and more. And then due to the stress I take on, it makes me miserable. And the kicker is, people complain on me! I only hope something opens up and then they can find someone else to blame!

Hmm are you manager? or staff? sounds like manager haha

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my co-workers will often ask me, "Do you have any interest in <insert horrible task here>?" I usually just tell her no, unless I really think she's been getting slaughtered. Other than that, I mainly just do the work because:

a) someone has to and
b) I figure I end up looking better in the end

I'm pretty happy to have overlap in general, though there are some days when it feels like it would be less stressful to work by myself.

I assume you are referring to retail - from my moonlighting experience, a crappy pharmacist is better than no pharmacist to work with, and if they can hold their weight, better yet

I assume you are referring to retail - from my moonlighting experience, a crappy pharmacist is better than no pharmacist to work with, and if they can hold their weight, better yet

Not for me. Im to the point where Id rather work alone then me do the work and someone else get paid 100K+ for not doing a fraction of what I do.

The benefit to working alone, one knows the works that needs to do, what has and hasn't been done, and can try to figure out a plan to get it done. When working with someone who isn't doing their portion, then its easy to mistakenly assume that that person working on something will get it done, but the time you realize that person isn't doing anything (or worse doing it wrong and making a bigger mess), then one is even further behind. Or then the other person leaves, leaving behind several half finished tasks, and you have to try to figure out what they did and didn't do, and end up duplicating half-done work.

Reactions: 1 user
Not for me. Im to the point where Id rather work alone then me do the work and someone else get paid 100K+ for not doing a fraction of what I do.
I second you on being paid that amount for twiddling their thumbs while I am busting off my ass. I still feel 2 pharmacists is still a better deal than being alone. It does cause some confusion though and each one hoping the other will do the job they don't want to be doing.
Now if we are stuck in this situation , I think talking about how we are going to split the work at the beginning of the shift would be helpful. I am going to give this a try. I also know shirkers will still find their way out. But it's better than just sucking it up and doing nothing about it.

Ignore, and do the best you can. Everyone knows who is the hardest worker in the room and they appreciate that.

Last edited: