Pharmacology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superccat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacology program (Phd) has recently caught my attention. I am planing to switch to Pharmacology instead of learning Pharmacy (pharm.D)

Do anyone know about this Phd discipline, and how different it is comparing to Pharmacy?

Moreover, does it require a lot higher GPA to get in than Pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry I wont be of any help but I was looking up phd in pharmacology and could you tell me the difference between this and a pharm d?? Can you practice pharmacy with a phd in pharmacology?? Are they equivalent?

I am sorry I wont be of any help but I was looking up phd in pharmacology and could you tell me the difference between this and a pharm d?? Can you practice pharmacy with a phd in pharmacology?? Are they equivalent?

PhD in pharmacology is a research degree. If you want to do research in drug structure and possibly work for a pharmaceutical company doing research go this route. It will not allow you to practice pharmacy. PharmD is a professional degree. You have to have the PharmD to practice pharmacy, it is the standard. It replaced the old BS degree as the standard to practice pharmacy. You get plenty of pharmacology and medicinal chemistry in the PharmD program, but you won't use a lot of it in a practical setting like retail pharmacy or hospital. In most cases, PharmDs will make more money than the PhDs, even though for most people, it would take longer to get the PhD. This is especially true in the academic setting. If you are interested in drug discovery and research, go the PhD route. If you want to practice pharmacy, get the PharmD. Keep in mind there are some schools that offer a joint PharmD/PhD program, but it may not be in pharmacology and it is a longer program. Also, PharmDs can get into research, but just a different kind of research. It would be more clinical, and some additional qualifications might be helpful, like an MS or MPH. Hope this helps. And to the original poster, a PhD program in pharmacology would not be as competitive to get into as a PharmD program. There are lots of people that want to become pharmacists, and less that want to get a PhD in pharmacology. You probably wouldn't need as high of a GPA to get into the PhD program as you would the PharmD program, even though it would be harder to obtain the PhD than the PharmD.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to be rude, but Google is your friend... PhD in pharmacology requires a lot of work and you must have the brain and personality to pursue it. Researching at PhD level requires you to pretty much dedicate your life to your work if you want to be successful. It's no 8~5 job for sure. If you are an undergraduate, I STRONGLY recommand you to find a research opportunity and see if you like researching.

Last edited:
What are some of the Job prospects for someone who persues a PhD in Pharmacology, other than R+D at a pharma company or in a acedmeia setting. When I looked into this program it says there is a broad range of career possibilities but does not go into any further detail.... Thanks.