Pharmacy 0-6 & SAT's

speciald

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My D will graduate HS next year and is thinking of applying to Albany, St John's, USP, and Duquesne for Fall 2009. We live in NY and there have been a number of kids accepted to ACP from our high school.

Stats:
3.85 uw/4.0 wgt gpa with many honors and several AP's. One B in math and B in AP Bio.
SAT's (single test) 1750 cum - 590 CR, 550 Math, and 610 writing.

Has 80+ hours intern/shadow in hospital pharmacy, and several other shorter medical shadowing rotations arranged by our high school. Pharmacist will write her an excellent LOR. She also was asked recently to apply for a pharmacy clerk position but is concerned that working could bring down her senior year gpa (taking physics, pre-calc, college economics, anatomy & physiology, etc.)

Competitive figure skater, several volunteer jobs lasting throughout. She is 1/8 American Indian but we do not consider ourselves Native American!

She's planning to take ACT's in Sept, and retake SAT's in October. As she was ill during the first test we expect she will do better on the fall round. However I was wondering if it would be better to apply earlier to the rolling admissions schools and if she should take her chances with the low scores? Do these schools adjust for merit money if a higher test score is submitted after the application?

Any ideas on what average acceptance stats are at these schools? Any thoughts on her chances at these schools and when to apply will be gratefully considered!

Members don't see this ad.

My D will graduate HS next year and is thinking of applying to Albany, St John's, USP, and Duquesne for Fall 2009. We live in NY and there have been a number of kids accepted to ACP from our high school.

Stats:
3.85 uw/4.0 wgt gpa with many honors and several AP's. One B in math and B in AP Bio.
SAT's (single test) 1750 cum - 590 CR, 550 Math, and 610 writing.

Has 80+ hours intern/shadow in hospital pharmacy, and several other shorter medical shadowing rotations arranged by our high school. Pharmacist will write her an excellent LOR. She also was asked recently to apply for a pharmacy clerk position but is concerned that working could bring down her senior year gpa (taking physics, pre-calc, college economics, anatomy & physiology, etc.)

Competitive figure skater, several volunteer jobs lasting throughout. She is 1/8 American Indian but we do not consider ourselves Native American!

She's planning to take ACT's in Sept, and retake SAT's in October. As she was ill during the first test we expect she will do better on the fall round. However I was wondering if it would be better to apply earlier to the rolling admissions schools and if she should take her chances with the low scores? Do these schools adjust for merit money if a higher test score is submitted after the application?

Any ideas on what average acceptance stats are at these schools? Any thoughts on her chances at these schools and when to apply will be gratefully considered!

Pretty sure that ACP is no longer a 0+6 school.

USP "minimum" is 1150 math and verbal however they let it fluctuate. The pharmacy college instituted a 2.7 sci GPA and 3.0 overall GPA to continue on each year (which is strict for the school) so they're taking higher SAT students that "can withstand" the rigor of the school. If you have any questions about USP pm me and I'll help you out. That said, if the SAT goes up then I think she'll have a definite shot at USP.

Here's my advice too, despite what the naysayers say, its a great school. Most "complainers" fail the get involved or fail out of the PharmD program and have to take up another major.

Members don't see this ad :)
USP application is the simplest college app I saw, too. They don't require anything except you filling out the front and back of the application. Unless its been ammended its still the same.

Yea i'm sorry to say that albany is no longer a 0-6 school. I was lucky enough to enter the final year that they are doing 0-6 :cool:. Good luck with whatever your daughter decides, your stats look good, but you might need to raise the sat scores or do well on the act.

Yes, ACP did email us and say they'll be going to 2+4 format starting in '09. Spots reserved for all incoming freshman providing they meet minimum requirements. No specifics on what those requirements are. We'll ask on Thursday when we visit.