Pharmacy Admissions Transfer Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tamucc2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody, currently a junior in college and worried about my gpa which is pretty low but I do plan on getting it up to at least a 3.3 maybe a 3.4 before I apply. I worried about my past, I started off at a community college and didn't really focus on grades and found myself with a 2.0... I transferred to a University with a different mindset and focus and have reached a 3.1 overall gpa with a 3.38 at the University I am at. Do you think I could still get in? I am fully committed going to pharmacy school but I know I have to be realistic as well. Having that said, what would be a plan B? Sorry for the long message.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everybody, currently a junior in college and worried about my gpa which is pretty low but I do plan on getting it up to at least a 3.3 maybe a 3.4 before I apply. I worried about my past, I started off at a community college and didn't really focus on grades and found myself with a 2.0... I transferred to a University with a different mindset and focus and have reached a 3.1 overall gpa with a 3.38 at the University I am at. Do you think I could still get in? I am fully committed going to pharmacy school but I know I have to be realistic as well. Having that said, what would be a plan B? Sorry for the long message.

anything is possible but it all depends on many things, e.g. your cumulative GPA (including coursework from both institutions), how many credits and what types of courses at each school. It also depends on what pharmacy schools you are applying, e.g. non-PCAT vs PCAT (thus you have to take the PCAT), high tier vs lower ranked schools (your GPA and/or PCAT have to be, in general, more competitive at higher ranked schools). In addition, your EC and community service/volunteering + pharmacy/work/life experience + your LORs and personal essay could all make or break your application.

Ask yourself what you imagine that you would do and/or enjoy doing it for the next 20-30 years ?? That would give you ideas for your plan A or B. No one could tell you what your plan B gotta be. It is all personal.

Having said all that, I see you have an uptrend academically at the university (vs past low GPA at CC). That is a positive already. I think, realistically, you still have a great chance to get in pharmacy schools provided you are trying to bring up your both cumulative and science GPA, getting a great PCAT score (which compensate for the past low GPA at CC), and beefing up your application with great EC, community service/volunteering, pharmacy/work/life experience, LORs, personal essay. I think there is still time to do all of those and you should focus on getting those done very well before thinking about plan B. Then no need for plan B !! ;)

Basically at the community college, I took the core curriculum such as English 1301, History 1301, etc. But only managed to get C's because I didn't know what I wanted to do at the time so I feel like I messed up in the beginning. At the University, I have taken much of the pre reqs for pharmacy such as O-Chem, Gen Chem, and other science courses. I would really like to apply to Texas Tech, North Texas, and Texas A&M Kingsville. I am involved in two clubs, Chemistry Club and AED. In one, I am a general member and in Chem Club, a vice-president. Would being a pharmacy tech help my application? Thank you for the encouragement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically at the community college, I took the core curriculum such as English 1301, History 1301, etc. But only managed to get C's because I didn't know what I wanted to do at the time so I feel like I messed up in the beginning. At the University, I have taken much of the pre reqs for pharmacy such as O-Chem, Gen Chem, and other science courses. I would really like to apply to Texas Tech, North Texas, and Texas A&M Kingsville. I am involved in two clubs, Chemistry Club and AED. In one, I am a general member and in Chem Club, a vice-president. Would being a pharmacy tech help my application? Thank you for the encouragement.

Yes, working as a pharmacy tech def helps your application.

Are you applying this year or 2015?