Pharmacy experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

ohopenyoureyes

How did you guys get pharmacy experience? I'm have 0 connections so I'm not sure what to do. i've called up Walgreens/CVS but they aren't taking anyone to shadow. What can one do? Do you NEED to have experience to get into pharm school (for grad school)?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really although it would help your case when they ask why you want to be a pharmacist during the interview process. Medical/retail/community experience could be okay too. I would just translate those experience into pharmacy.

Usually in retail settings, you can't really shadow due to HIPAA. You are better off shadowing at non pharmacy chains like a community pharmacy. You can always apply to CVS as a job. I got hired when I was 17 years old and I have been working at CVS for 2.5 years now.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you guys get pharmacy experience? I'm have 0 connections so I'm not sure what to do. i've called up Walgreens/CVS but they aren't taking anyone to shadow. What can one do? Do you NEED to have experience to get into pharm school (for grad school)?

I would say that pharmacy experience prior to applying is an incredible asset. Not only does it provide you with some insight as to what actually happens in a pharmacy vs. what is belabored in school, it gives you a significant edge in the interview process as well as indicating to recruitment that you are committed.

Seeing first hand some of the qualities that a pharmacist must possess will give you lots to talk about in your interviews as there are things they want to hear you say and qualities they look for in individuals.

As for HOW you go about this: Before I was accepted into pharmacy I went into a community pharmacy and expressed my interest to volunteer and gain experience. I would suggest this approach over calling as it is more personal and shows your legitimate interest. I learned a lot and after a few months after I finished volunteering I was called for a job offer.

Is it really mandatory to have pharma experience to join grad school? might be just enquire with them clearly. they would have asked since they want to analyse your interest and knowledge. Anyhow thats not a problem you can read in online about the pharma and drugs related articles for more knowledge and info.

You do not need to have experience, but it would greatly help your application. Working in a pharmacy would give you valuable experience in the pharmacy trade, which would look great on the application. I would definitely get certified as a pharmacy technician. If you are able to get a job, and do well, I am sure you would then be able to have a pharmacist write a letter of recommendation for you. I would fill out applications and get certified. In my case, having 5 years experience as a CPhT greatly helped my application. I scored an interview for the only school that I have applied! :) Good luck to you!

Is there any big hospitals in your area?

Usually they will gladly take on a volunteer. Once you get some experience and connect with some people, ask one of the pharmacist if you can shadow them.

Retail is never a place you should ask to shadow. We are too busy to have someone that knows nothing in the pharmacy, doing nothing but hinder us.