Pharmacy medicine heh D!!! those druggies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duskandlight

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basicly, alot of medications over the counter have been taken off because of people using it to make heroin or cocaine. basicly to get high. and those people that really need that medicine cant get it. They recently installed a system where you have to sign off on certain otc drugs like strong aleve or tylenol or claritin D-

I was wondering what meds have been taken off.

most pharmacies dont even stock primatine mist.now they have pills that are inneffective against asthma attacks.

Members don't see this ad.

All pseudoephedrine products are now behind the pharmacy counter & require ID. It is not used to make cocaine or heroin - it can be used to manufacture methamphetamine.

The law was signed in April 2006 & all states had to comply by Sept 2006.

You can look up the law - it is part of the Patriot Act Improvement & Reauthorization Act.

Basicly, alot of medications over the counter have been taken off because of people using it to make heroin or cocaine. basicly to get high. and those people that really need that medicine cant get it. They recently installed a system where you have to sign off on certain otc drugs like strong aleve or tylenol or claritin D-

I was wondering what meds have been taken off.

most pharmacies dont even stock primatine mist.now they have pills that are inneffective against asthma attacks.

No OTC medication currently has been used to make heroin or cocaine.

Sudafed and any product containing it was taken off the market because people were turning it into methamphetamine. No one has ever died taking Sudafed or Aleve. Funny that Tylenol is probably the most "dangerous" OTC drug on the market.

The only other drug taken off the market "recently" is phenylpropanolamine. (PPA) People were getting the "high" effect on it but not sure exactly how.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tylenol is probably one of the most widely consumed otc's in north america, yet its mechanism of action remains unknown - that's what I get a kick out of.

one theory involves COX-3 inhibitors (splice variant of cox-1).. but it isn't certain. Pregnant women still take tylenol.

Do they really think that taking sudafed off of the shelf is going to curb meth production? They will find a way to make it. I think that it just makes it more inconvienient for allergy suffers to get some relief.

Do they really think that taking sudafed off of the shelf is going to curb meth production? They will find a way to make it. I think that it just makes it more inconvienient for allergy suffers to get some relief.

I would totally disagree. Living in Oregon, where the meth epidemic is a very big problem, I've seen the limited availability of sudafed make a difference in meth-related crime. Sure, it is still available, and the large producers are getting loads of it from Mexico. But the "mom and pop" producers no longer have easy access, and thus the number of neighborhood meth houses is falling. People can still get meth out there, but maybe fewer small children are being exposed as their idiot parents can't get sudafed and have a lab in the garage.

I would totally disagree. Living in Oregon, where the meth epidemic is a very big problem, I've seen the limited availability of sudafed make a difference in meth-related crime. Sure, it is still available, and the large producers are getting loads of it from Mexico. But the "mom and pop" producers no longer have easy access, and thus the number of neighborhood meth houses is falling. People can still get meth out there, but maybe fewer small children are being exposed as their idiot parents can't get sudafed and have a lab in the garage.

I don't see that here in CA....they just go from store to store with their fake IDs & we sell them the max.

I actually think there is a nail place right down the street that does fake ids in the back.....

This law just pisses people off - pharmacists, consumers, illegal drug manufacturers - hopefully it will be overturned with the next administration!

Oklahoma was one of the first states to take the pseudoephedrine off the shelves and behind the counter, and yes, it has helped a LOT, like an 80% drop in meth lab seizure in many parts of the state and it was BAD here for a while, like over 100 seizures per year in some of the rural countys.

I don't see that here in CA....they just go from store to store with their fake IDs & we sell them the max.

I actually think there is a nail place right down the street that does fake ids in the back.....

This law just pisses people off - pharmacists, consumers, illegal drug manufacturers - hopefully it will be overturned with the next administration!

I know it is frustrating but there's not much else to do in CA. I know how much this law causes all sorts of trouble, customers getting angry they have to fill out all their information in a booklet and then getting more angry when they can only buy one box.
But at the same time, as a poster said before, those smaller meth labs will have a harder time getting the sudafed. Before they could buy like ten boxes at walmart and now if they wanted ten boxes they have to jump from pharmacy to pharmacy. Druggies will get their meth no matter what, but at least this law makes it more frustrating for them and could possibly lessen the amount of meth being produced.

You can never completely control illegial drug production, but we can't just stand on the sidelines either. So next best thing as the government always does when there's a problem...make a law.

I know it is frustrating but there's not much else to do in CA. I know how much this law causes all sorts of trouble, customers getting angry they have to fill out all their information in a booklet and then getting more angry when they can only buy one box.
But at the same time, as a poster said before, those smaller meth labs will have a harder time getting the sudafed. Before they could buy like ten boxes at walmart and now if they wanted ten boxes they have to jump from pharmacy to pharmacy. Druggies will get their meth no matter what, but at least this law makes it more frustrating for them and could possibly lessen the amount of meth being produced.

You can never completely control illegial drug production, but we can't just stand on the sidelines either. So next best thing as the government always does when there's a problem...make a law.

I appreciate your sentiment...but, we always had "runners" buy the drug. Usually they were the illegals who were on the street in front of Home Depot in the morning waiting for work. By 10-11, if they weren't picked up by anyone, the lab dealers would pick them up & send them out for the purchases.....3 guys with cash can buy lots of drug! These guys were paid $20 for the day which was $20 more than what they could make since they weren't picked up for day labor.

Now, with the limit in place....they just need the same 3 guys - give them different ID's, & let them loose for about 4 hours. They can make about 4 runs to each place (there are about 20 grocery stores & pharmacies within 5 miles of me) & buy the max. They're pretty good at timing us to see when we go to lunch & buy off the other person. When it was just Benzedrex, we could "hide" it.....now we have so many...its obvious its there & I can't document I've never sold to that person....so - I do it. Awful!

It hasn't stopped anything here....but who knows....perhaps somewhere. I'll concede that. But, I think the operation here is a big one (or lots of big ones). I really, really don't want to know more than that!

we just had a girl come in, maybe in her early-mid twenties or so, she wanted to buy sudafed with an expired, 'temporary' driver's license, those that are paper just printed off the printer to have while waiting for the permanent driver's license to arrive in the mail.

The pharmacist refused and she left very upset.

Oh, by the way, she looked like she was on drugs.. haha

Robitussin AC is OTC in WV and can be used to make heroin. I do it all the time....

I think I remember reading about that years ago....the Robitussin AC part - not you making heroin (I need to pick up the tabloids more often:D )]

Isn't it in a class of behind the counter OTC's???? Aren't there others....oddball ones like Rondec DMC or some such.....:confused:

But, really, don't you folks in WVA still make your own whiskey too?;)
j/king!

I think I remember reading about that years ago....the Robitussin AC part - not you making heroin (I need to pick up the tabloids more often:D )]

Isn't it in a class of behind the counter OTC's???? Aren't there others....oddball ones like Rondec DMC or some such.....:confused:

Yup, c-5s in the same class as pseudoephedrine. The sad thing is that an entire bottle of Mytussin AC will produce about 1/2 of a hit of heroin. Of course, a bottle of Tussin AC costs $1.31 (exactly, I buy it every winter for personal antitussive pruposes) so maybe profit COULD be had.

But, really, don't you folks in WVA still make your own whiskey too?;)
j/king!

Moonshine. And, yes, they do. Every know and then, you here of a moonshiner having his still confinscated. WVians are too poor to buy a 12 pack of Budweiser. A Mason jar of 90% EtOH will run ya $2-3. Do the math.

oh crap, how can i make me some cocaine?

let me know yo

I heard that Similac is used to produce cocaine or some drug like that. Something about baking it in an oven?

All I know is that there were about 3 Indian-looking people that would come into my store and buy the limit everyday. One of the cart pullers saw them open the sliding door to their van and inside there were a bunch of grocery store bags, lol.

I heard PPA was taken off of the market because they believed there was a connection between it (PPA) and hemorrhagic stroke.

I knew that alot of medications could be used to make illegal drugs but I'm just learning about the rules and regs, at my pharmacy alot of people get wicked angry because they gotta go on a trip and they want to buy there meds here like claritin and stuff because its tax free in nh.

what do you do if you know they start complaining to the store

I heard that Similac is used to produce cocaine or some drug like that. Something about baking it in an oven?

All I know is that there were about 3 Indian-looking people that would come into my store and buy the limit everyday. One of the cart pullers saw them open the sliding door to their van and inside there were a bunch of grocery store bags, lol.

Proteins in powered infant formula are used to cut the meth during production. You'll see it in the papers every now and then. Thats why they've started locking up the baby formula too. Inventory control became a problem.

In Oregon, pseudoephedrine is not only prescription only, but it is also a controlled substance.

In Oregon, pseudoephedrine is not only prescription only, but it is also a controlled substance.