Pharmacy Student applying to Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heisneberg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I am entering my PY3 year of pharmacy school (5th year of school) and would graduate with my PharmD in 2016. Since I did the 6 year program vs the 4+4 I currently do not have any bachelor degree. I was wanting to know if that would have an impact when I applied to medical schools. I know this isn't the most direct or cost effective route, but over the past several years I believe that I truly would prefer to be a physician rather than a pharmacist.

I have taken all of the prerequisites except for physics 1 and 2 due. I was only required to take a gereral physics when I was in my first 2 pre-pharm years. I would be able to fit both of those courses into my schedule given I have room for elective classes. Also I have been studying for the past month and wanted to know if it would be reasonable to take the MCAT in May or April?

I was wondering how my gpa would be factored and what classes would count towards it. I'm currently in the top 20% of my pharmacy class, but I wasn't sure if any of those would be factored in.

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools will require a bachelors degree even though you will have a PharmD. You will have to check with each school you are interested in applying to. Part of the reason is that undergrad GPA is the most important factor GPA wise and is what's used to compare you with other applicants. Not sure how your GPA would be calculated. I think taking the MCAT in the spring is reasonable given that you'll be studying for it while doing your 5th year. I did PharmD before med school, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.