Pharmacy Tech Hour Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AngryPIC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel this would be very helpful for current and future pharmacist and managers.
Please post your current chain, average scripts/week, technician hours. I realize not all hours a equivalent (ex: pcq at CVS)

Ex: CVS/1100/63hours

Members don't see this ad.

At my old cvs, i did around 1400-1500 a week. I got about 110 tech hours

CVS/2,400/170-190

11 hour store

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
CVS/hours go up and down depending on MySchedule demand/am told 11 scripts =1 tech hour

CVS/hours go up and down depending on MySchedule demand/am told 11 scripts =1 tech hour

I suggest you look at the green sheets (your "demand" always equals your budget from your green sheet). I'm looking at 1 tech hour per 18-20 scripts and a ****ton of "pharmacy" calls.

We are not allowed to use green sheets any longer so I don't know how many hours I get for a week until Tuesday when the schedule is due Friday. The demand numbers are not the same as the green sheets so it is tough to plan ahead.

We are not allowed to use green sheets any longer so I don't know how many hours I get for a week until Tuesday when the schedule is due Friday. The demand numbers are not the same as the green sheets so it is tough to plan ahead.
Double check, it's the same number bro.

At my company we use "item count" to dictate tech hours. Defined as the number of items that are rang out on our registers (Rx's, and OTC's from our department) per week. We currently have a four week average of about 1550/week which gives us 145 tech hours. Just for comparison sake, our gross script count tends to be about 16xx per week.

CVS (13-hour pharmacy)

Sold scripts per week (early in the year): 2,600 to 2,900 (includes controls and 90 day fills = 3 scripts)

Actual tech hours used: 260 to 300

"Demand" tech hours according to MySchedule: 269 to 355 (first 14 weeks of year)

Drive-thru: yes

Lots of controls and crackheads: yes

New scripts on weekdays: 320-350 (15-25% are C2... this theoretically could make it easier for my store to be identified)

Last edited:
CVS (13-hour pharmacy)

Sold scripts per week (early in the year): 2,600 to 2,900 (includes controls and 90 day fills = 3 scripts)

Actual tech hours used: 260 to 300

"Demand" tech hours according to MySchedule: 269 to 355 (first 14 weeks of year)

Drive-thru: yes

Lots of controls and crackheads: yes

New scripts on weekdays: 320-350 (15-25% are C2... this theoretically could make it easier for my store to be identified)

That's nuts. I work at an 11 hour CVS with a drive-through and we fill well over 2,400 scripts per week, with around 180 tech hours! We did 470 scripts yesterday with 28 tech hours! the only difference is we have worked to eliminate a lot of CII's.

That's nuts. I work at an 11 hour CVS with a drive-through and we fill well over 2,400 scripts per week, with around 180 tech hours! We did 470 scripts yesterday with 28 tech hours! the only difference is we have worked to eliminate a lot of CII's.

What's the best way to eliminate c2s? I'm so sick of constantly doing c2s and getting completely backed up because of it? I wish the pharmacy manager would just stop ordering so much so we could just say no to all the damn druggies!!!!

What's the best way to eliminate c2s? I'm so sick of constantly doing c2s and getting completely backed up because of it? I wish the pharmacy manager would just stop ordering so much so we could just say no to all the damn druggies!!!!

Well we literally will not fill a C2 even 1 day early, so I lost of people will take the script elsewhere. We obviously deny anything that wasn't written in the area, and if the person looks suspicious we just tell them we won't fill it. On top of this, out PIC never seems to order enough of anything (which I'm beginning to think is on purpose)... the other week we ran out of Norco 5 and 7.5 along with concerta, dilaudid and adderall lol. And we won't fill it without insurance and refuse manufacture coupons on any control. Also no suboxone unless you've been filling it with us already. There's a lot of suboxone clinics in the area and if you start filling them, the word gets out FAST!!!!

There still people filling for 240 Norco which is ridiculous but there's not much we can do about it. If they have been flilling it for the past year it's much harder to turn them away as opposed to a random guy of the street with a script for opana

There's no way to eliminate narcs without straight up denying people when it's all said and done. They will get mad but they will get over it.

Last edited:
280 (7 day average) 155 tech hours. (We're > 50% eRx)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well we literally will not fill a C2 even 1 day early, so I lost of people will take the script elsewhere. We obviously deny anything that wasn't written in the area, and if the person looks suspicious we just tell them we won't fill it. On top of this, out PIC never seems to order enough of anything (which I'm beginning to think is on purpose)... the other week we ran out of Norco 5 and 7.5 along with concerta, dilaudid and adderall lol. And we won't fill it without insurance and refuse manufacture coupons on any control. Also no suboxone unless you've been filling it with us already. There's a lot of suboxone clinics in the area and if you start filling them, the word gets out FAST!!!!

There still people filling for 240 Norco which is ridiculous but there's not much we can do about it. If they have been flilling it for the past year it's much harder to turn them away as opposed to a random guy of the street with a script for opana

There's no way to eliminate narcs without straight up denying people when it's all said and done. They will get mad but they will get over it.

Right... I simply cannot let people fill whenever insurance covers it or else it will really get out of control (around here there are multiple "pain management" clinics, primary care doctors practicing pain management, etc., oncology practices that don't know the concept of controlled-release medications and just put everyone on Norco #360, prescribers who still write for Norco #540 for 3 months like anyone would actually fill this.). Deny illogical combos (multiple IR scripts in large quantities, Suboxone + Norco, etc.), obvious doctor shoppers. I love to piss people off, but it just takes away time that could be spent doing more productive things

Looking at other threads it seems at CVS the "busyness" of the pharmacy (CII volume, drive-thru, % new script drop-offs, and yes these are not entirely independent) affects allocated tech hours along with whether your store meets or exceeds script budgets consistently.

Last edited:
CVS, 2100-2300 Rx's/wk, 210-235 tech hrs/wk. Overall the ratio is 9.8 Rx's/tech hr for 2015. For some reason, we got more hours than we've had for the past 2 years. Not sure why everyone else has such bad ratios?

Wow my ratio is over 12 rx/tech. I would love 9.8. I have learned to give one sentence answers to questions. Want more info? Call your MD or NP. I had a guy ask me how to use Bydureon the other day. I told him to ask his nurse at the MD office. No one way I am taking time from a $2.50 reimbursement to spend a half hour teaching. We have customers to get out - the McPharmacy is here.

CVS, 2100-2300 Rx's/wk, 210-235 tech hrs/wk. Overall the ratio is 9.8 Rx's/tech hr for 2015. For some reason, we got more hours than we've had for the past 2 years. Not sure why everyone else has such bad ratios?

I'm at a CVS that fills the same number of scripts if not more and we get well under 200/week. We are a 13 hour store, 4 hours of pharmacist overlap per week.

Since starting this forum I have resigned from CVS and took a job with Wally World. CVS's lack of integrity with regard to patient safety and common business sense is absolutely flabbergasting. I refuse to contribute to the problem degrading our profession. Before resigning I even showed upper management when I would go "over hours" I would make the company "significantly" more money than projected but corporate/regional wanted us to "stick" to your hours or be written up.

The only reason I know why they would want such a thing is, the short-term bonus incentive of cutting hours is much higher than actually investing in the business - which I was trying to do. I'll let you know if it's better at wally.

Wow, you guys are hitting the jackpot. 4100 script a week store, 305 tech hours for a store in NJ... Cvs....

Wow, you guys are hitting the jackpot. 4100 script a week store, 305 tech hours for a store in NJ... Cvs....

Yes, but your store is 24 hours so you need to add in the extra pharmacist hours that you get (maybe 50 or so because they will limit daytime overlap?)

Last week we did 4850 with 410 tech hours and 132 pharmacist hours (non 24hr store open 87 hours per week).

Yes, but your store is 24 hours so you need to add in the extra pharmacist hours that you get (maybe 50 or so because they will limit daytime overlap?)

Last week we did 4850 with 410 tech hours and 132 pharmacist hours (non 24hr store open 87 hours per week).

That's a LOT for a non 24-hour store... Do you have a drive thru? On average, how many Rx's do you check out personally, per day?

I'm at a CVS that fills the same number of scripts if not more and we get well under 200/week. We are a 13 hour store, 4 hours of pharmacist overlap per week.
13 hour store, no pharmacist overlap, about same number of scripts, 220-240 tech hours. They keep bumping our hours up too, Poppin Vials. I assumed CVS finally decided to staff properly, but I guess it's just some areas... What a surprise, tech hours went up and our scores are awesome now.
It's actually freaking me out, work's been... pretty pleasant. Still busy, but pleasant. Everybody actually gets lunch (before our store had failed HR audits like 3 times in a row).

That's a LOT for a non 24-hour store... Do you have a drive thru? On average, how many Rx's do you check out personally, per day?

Yes we have a 2 lane drive thru, how many I check a day depends on if I'm primarily verifying or if I'm doing other stuff like dr calls, pt questions, and a lot of helping with data entry (our store is about 40% new scripts with 20% waiters).

Honest question.. Is it doable without risking your license and patient safety??

Only Sparda has come close to theoretical Weissman score. Of course that verification rate is not safe, especially since you don't sit in a cubicle with zero distractions.