Pharmacy Tech Interview!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eaglesfan1392

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a P1 student who recently got an interview for a pharmacy at a local supermarket near me. If anyone knows some potential questions or tips for me, that would be great. My main question has to do with the pharmacy technician license (CPhT). I don't have one and don't plan on getting one in the near future. What if they ask about it in the interview???

Members don't see this ad.

I would point to the fact that you are a Pharmacy Student and may not have extra funds to go buy a useless certification. (Maybe not in those terms). I have worked for years w/o being Certified...it is really almost as useless as going to Pharm Tech school. Turns out if you can do simple math and read...then you can work as a pharm tech. The hardest part of the job is learning the computer systems, which being certified has nothing to do with.

You probably do want to go look up some of the medical terminology/Rx abreviations that will be used. Also knowing the Brand/generic for the top 200 drugs helps. (This is the knowledge that being certified proves you know, but really it is not like you cannot make cheat sheets to keep in your pocket until you have them all down.)

If they really want you to have one, then I would ask if they will reimburse you for it. If not then you can at least write it off as an expense.

They will not care about you knowing anything about being a tech as they can teach you that in short order. What they will be looking for is your customer service skills, your expected schedule flexibility, and your professionalism.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a P1 student who recently got an interview for a pharmacy at a local supermarket near me. If anyone knows some potential questions or tips for me, that would be great. My main question has to do with the pharmacy technician license (CPhT). I don't have one and don't plan on getting one in the near future. What if they ask about it in the interview???

Some states require technicians become certified after a certain length of time....I'm assuming your state doesn't require that, sine you aren't planning on becoming one. If the business you are working at wants you to be a CPhT (and most places won't care), then they will most likely offer reimbursement for it. The test itself isn't that hard, once you have 6 months - 1 year of pharmacy experience--especially since you are going to pharmacy school.

thanks for the replies! Very helpful
I am probably going use the same questions I used for getting into Pharmacy School.