PhD Candidate Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpcolon

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi: I'm curious on what the rest of you think. What are my chances?

School(time graduated)-GPA
Undergrad (graduated in 3 yrs)-3.112
M.S. (graduated in 1 year)-3.5
M.S. (graduated in 1 year)-3.72
PhD (graduated in 4 years)-3.72

MCAT 2009 22
MCAT 2013 30

Race Hispanic
Income and family contribution 0%

I feel as though I have a great chance considering I am a progressive student and the only reason I did badly at first was due to working a full time job. But I think there is a strong correlation, if not causation, that when I decreased the amount of time need to work, I increased my scores dramatically.

What are my chances in general?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

What are your degrees in exactly?
What is your sGPA?
What do you have for EC?
DO or MD?
Have you taken all the pre-req classes? how did you do on them?
Publications?

Hey,

What are your degrees in exactly?
What is your sGPA?
What do you have for EC?
DO or MD?
Have you taken all the pre-req classes? how did you do on them?
Publications?
1. B.S. biological Sciences, M.S. Biochemistry and Molecular Cell Biology, M.S. in Molecular and Cellular Genetics, PhD in Molecular and Cellular Genetics.
2. GPAs reflect all science GPAs except Undergrad which is a 3.0
3. MD
4. Publications-->2 and 2 more on the way.
5. Pre-req, yes, As in organic chem, A in physics 2, B+ physics 1, and obviously so many bios I can't count anymore.
6. EC?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. B.S. biological Sciences, M.S. Biochemistry and Molecular Cell Biology, M.S. in Molecular and Cellular Genetics, PhD in Molecular and Cellular Genetics.
2. GPAs reflect all science GPAs except Undergrad which is a 3.0
3. MD
4. Publications-->2 and 2 more on the way.
5. Pre-req, yes, As in organic chem, A in physics 2, B+ physics 1, and obviously so many bios I can't count anymore.
6. EC?
Elective Credit-->Many...

extracurriculars

Oh, Thanks. I worked full time as a paramedic throughout undergraduate to pay for it; I also worked at Montefiore Hospital as Operations Manager of the department of Radiology during a summer. Then, during graduate school, I've worked in a lab. Other than that, I participated in the student newspaper, Catholic club, but really, nothing more than work...

I think you should be fine.

Hi: I'm curious on what the rest of you think. What are my chances?

School(time graduated)-GPA
Undergrad (graduated in 3 yrs)-3.112
M.S. (graduated in 1 year)-3.5
M.S. (graduated in 1 year)-3.72
PhD (graduated in 4 years)-3.72

MCAT 2009 22
MCAT 2013 30

Race Hispanic
Income and family contribution 0%

I feel as though I have a great chance considering I am a progressive student and the only reason I did badly at first was due to working a full time job. But I think there is a strong correlation, if not causation, that when I decreased the amount of time need to work, I increased my scores dramatically.

What are my chances in general?

i mean youre crazy non trad so its hard to say, i definitely have no experience in that myself, so take what i say with a grain of salt
im sure the multiple degrees and wealth of experience will help you out

based on strict stats you got a shot at low-mid tier schools, and then the fact that youre super non trad and have that rising GPA and a PhD makes me believe that you might catch the interest of adcoms at higher ranked schools as well possibly.

Well, I did apply to a bunch of SUNYs, Howard University, etc., but then, I had the audacity to apply to Harvard, Dartmouth, NYU, Georgetown, and Columbia. So, I guess, I have a good range....

I'd apply to the schools that are really into non-trads, and as with all non-trads, you need a very good and convincing answer to "why medicine" - something that shows a logical progression and assuages their worries that another career change of heart is coming.

I'd apply to the schools that are really into non-trads, and as with all non-trads, you need a very good and convincing answer to "why medicine" - something that shows a logical progression and assuages their worries that another career change of heart is coming.

That's hard to determine, i.e. what schools are "really into non-trads". Also, I feel a "why medicine" question should be something that every candidate faces. At least with a non-trad. I have experience in other fields, which demonstrates a solidification on "why medicine" whereas an undergrad, or non-traditional has never had any other experience. As far as the comment "assuages their worries that another career change of heart is coming" I feel that would be so unfair. I'm only 26 years old, what career change have I had? What career have I had? I did a PhD, this isn't a career, this is a progression in the science field so that I can have a lab on the side in addition to being a surgeon. This is to provide patients with better care and help the future of medicine both in the OR and in the lab.

Thank you for your opinion, but I'm surprised at it for sure! :) I hope this didn't come off too rude in tone...I beg your pardon if it did.

Last edited:
That's hard to determine, i.e. what schools are "really into non-trads". Also, I feel a "why medicine" question should be something that every candidate faces. At least with a non-trad. I have experience in other fields, which demonstrates a solidification on "why medicine" whereas an undergrad, or non-traditional has never had any other experience. As far as the comment "assuages their worries that another career change of heart is coming" I feel that would be so unfair. I'm only 26 years old, what career change have I had? What career have I had? I did a PhD, this isn't a career, this is a progression in the science field so that I can have a lab on the side in addition to being a surgeon. This is to provide patients with better care and help the future of medicine both in the OR and in the lab.

Thank you for your opinion, but I'm surprised at it for sure! :) I hope this didn't come off too rude in tone...I beg your pardon if it did.

Look at the average age of the first year students of each school, that'll give you an idea of who prefers non-trads. You don't have to convince me that you want to do medicine, convince the adcoms! However, a PhD and an MD are very different, it's not really a progression in the sciences, more of an alternative route, although I guess that depends on what your PhD is in - I don't know much about them but I know 4 years is quick.