WAMC MD/PHD (3.84/514/TX)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okbuy37

Reaction score
Hey everybody! First-time applicant here and a bit unsure of which schools I should target. I want to apply MD/Ph.D. but am very concerned about my clinical work and MCAT for these programs. I'm just trying to find schools that should be a good target. Any help would be appreciated:)

1. cGPA 3.84, sc GPA 3.89
  2. MCAT 514 (128/128/128/130)
  3. TX
  4. White
  5. T20 non ivy
  6. Hospital Volunteer ~50hrs (still in progress, committed to 250hrs for the year) work in surgical ICU, assisting nurses, nursing aides, and physicians in day-to-day activities
    Note: due to COVID during my undergrad my clinical volunteering was delayed, I have hours from high school but don't think I should add those to the app. In addition, I start ski patrol and mountain rescue training in June.
  7. Undergraduate Research ~3000hrs (3 yrs same lab), conducted an independent project for a tissue scaffold to be used in ACL repair, resulted in thesis, undergraduate research awards, Goldwater nomination, 7 national conference presentations
    AMGEN Scholar ~500hrs will be a co-author on an upcoming pub, working with drug delivery system. Research assistant ~1300 hrs, currently employed full-time, work in an orthopedic lab conducting research on osteoarthritis, 1 abstract (maybe one pub coming up, tbd)
  8. Shadowing: Orthopedic oncology~10hrs, General Surgery~5hrs, ENT ~5hrs (upcoming in OBGYN ~10)
  9. Junior League~30 hours (continuing will have about 60hrs when I apply) Volunteer with multiple community organizations and assist in planning events
  10. Paid employment:
    Teaching assistant ~400hrs taught undergrad intro bio lab and structural biochem, implemented informational scholarship and fellowship presentation each quarter highlighting campus resources, (fun fact brought my dog to OH for destress vibes)

Processing Assistant~1700hrs, during undergrad I was employed in a cleanroom and taught staff and outside users how to use in-house machinery. In addition, I did processing work (making semi-conductors) for academic and commercial users. Leadership: Sorority President ~700 hours, managed a large chapter, negotiated contracts, managed insurance, chaired multiple committees, instilled new confidential feedback system, chaired large-scale philanthropic event

11. Goldwater nominee, AMGEN Scholar, Distinction in senior thesis, department award, university award
  12. Advocacy~100 hrs(ongoing) I work with local legislators to draft bills to reform healthcare billing. 1 bill introduced to the state house floor. LOR 3 PIs, 1 prof I worked for, 1 mentor
Context/Why I want to pursue medicine: I've cared for a family member who had a procedure that rendered her unable to lift her arm and complete daily tasks largely due to scar tissue. Throughout caring for her, I came to understand-through her appointments and talking to her physicians- that the issue of scar tissue formation was only something that could be minimized post-surgically not wholly prevented. This experience largely guided me to want to pursue medicine as I want to create and implement techniques that will reduce excessive scar tissue formation post-surgically.

Possible schools :

I have four dream schools: Yale and Stanford- (I think these are super reaches but both have research interest), UTSW, and UCLA (I love the curriculum and research available at both)

As for other schools, I'm a bit undecided as I don't know which schools I should target given my stats and experience. I would appreciate any advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: