PhD During Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ggpia2343

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have found a couple of hematology/oncology fellowship programs that offer the option to pursue a PhD during the latter part of fellowship (BUMC and Stanford) -- are there any additional programs out there that have this type of track?

My ultimate objective is to do 70/30 basic science research / clinical work, but I didn't do MD/PhD during medical school and I don't have enough research experience to pursue this type of career without additional training. I am currently a PGY-1 in internal medicine and my goal is to incorporate basic science research into my future career.

Members don't see this ad.

This is called the Research Pathway. You're a bit behind the curve (most people apply directly to it during residency interviews). And you absolutely don't need a PhD to do research.

Consider also that many of us with PhDs (and post-docs) have bailed out of research because of the current funding environment.

This is called the Research Pathway. You're a bit behind the curve (most people apply directly to it during residency interviews). And you absolutely don't need a PhD to do research.

Consider also that many of us with PhDs (and post-docs) have bailed out of research because of the current funding environment.

GutOnc, people are usually able to switch residencies (if available and good candidate) without a problem. I'm curious - is it possible for the OP to switch to the research pathway or is that a one time thing prior to residency?

GutOnc, people are usually able to switch residencies (if available and good candidate) without a problem. I'm curious - is it possible for the OP to switch to the research pathway or is that a one time thing prior to residency?
Your first statement is largely incorrect (or at least terminally naive) and I'm going to just ignore it.

But the question about the research pathway is that, yes, you can enter it during residency, assuming your residency PD, and the fellowship PD(s) support it. I matched to a program that supported the research pathway, but did not offer it as an integrated program. So (on the old application cycle timeline) I had to apply to fellowships in November of my intern year (you would now apply in the beginning of your R2 year). I got much better interviews than I did for residency, but ultimately chose to stay at my program.

The one caveat is that you will need to have your residency schedule structured to complete all ABIM (and program) requirements in 2 years. Since I went into my intern year with this plan, I had 18 months of wards/ICU/ED scheduled during my first 2 years which was far more than my colleagues did. My 2nd year schedule was actually worse (with respect to wards/ICU months) than my intern year since I had to condense 2 years of that into 1 year. So if you're interested in this pathway, you need to tell your PD yesterday (with yesterday being the day you interviewed at the program) or it will be really difficult to make it happen.