Physical pain of a 7.5 hr test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buzzin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When taking these 7.5 hour practice tests, does anyone else get that pain in the shoulders/neck area and just feel the need to get up and move around? I used to get the same thing when writing lab reports for hours on end.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. My legs hurt a lot, and the space above my ears, from the earbuds. I actually got up to walk around while my clock was running during a session.

YES!!! my ears hurt so bad...cause I wore glasses...those "noise canceling headphones" they provided were painful lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading either in the Official Guide or the Prometric website that we may bring factory-sealed earplugs. Those would be far more comfortable than headphones.

Yes!!!! I was wondering if I was the only one who was experiencing this. During practice exams (especially the Psych section), my feet start to hurt intensely and it's really hard to focus.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading either in the Official Guide or the Prometric website that we may bring factory-sealed earplugs. Those would be far more comfortable than headphones.

Not nearly as effective though. I would recommend using the noise canceling headset too. My friend who was a 95% percentile scorer on the old MCAT about 3-4 years ago said his testing center was randomly loud at times and the noise canceling headsets were good but having earplugs was just an added benefit. He encourages anyone who takes the MCAT to use both.

My test center was quiet and in the middle of nowhere, but I also think they didn't want us bringing our own earbuds. They didn't mention it on the list of things, but no one tried to ask either. I'd try your luck with the earbuds but otherwise the headphones are surprisingly good.

Get a good chair, make sure it's high enough, and don't stretch too far out onto your desk. The 20/20/20 eyesight rule is also good, where you look somewhere 20 ft away for 20 s every 20 min.

Last edited:
I started to get a lot of pain in my right shoulder after a few hours, probably because there was no arm support for my scrolling and clicking hand. And I had to keep shifting awkwardly in my chair. I'm sure I got to be sitting in some pretty strange positions by the time psych/soc rolled around. I took a nice long walk after the test and that shook out all the pain.

Trust me, your USMLE exams will be just as long if not longer so this is good practice. This just underscores the need to practice multiple full lengths across your studies. You can build your way there by starting with half section tests, then to full sections, then to full lengths as you progress. Make sure you take your scheduled breaks as well to keep your muscles as relaxed as they can be. The MCAT is a marathon, not a sprint.

Trust me, your USMLE exams will be just as long if not longer so this is good practice. This just underscores the need to practice multiple full lengths across your studies. You can build your way there by starting with half section tests, then to full sections, then to full lengths as you progress. Make sure you take your scheduled breaks as well to keep your muscles as relaxed as they can be. The MCAT is a marathon, not a sprint.

Agreed. I took breaks even beyond my scheduled breaks, especially before getting back to the marked questions if I was getting frustrated with a section. It's worth the "pit stops" sometimes, if it gives you a better perspective. I'd also recommend taking practice tests in multiple setting to avoid environment based recall skills, and to get used to testing in unfamiliar environments/computers.

Reactions: 1 user
My recommendation is to definitely take each break even if its just to walk around to get your blood flowing and do some stretches. Don't power through and risk getting distracted by body aches. Also try to sit with your back straight and feet flat on the ground to avoid any cramps and remain focused.

My center was pretty noisy but thankfully they had a box of earplugs and offered everyone a pair. I was in my own world and didn't hear a thing. I would call your center and ask in advance because if they don't offer ear plugs you should be allowed to bring your own according to the official guide (as long as they're sealed). The plugs were great, top decibel rating and used in the air force, just make sure you use them right.

The over-ear headsets are painful and will numb your ears out after a while, at least my ears are sensitive to them. My only issue was that our chairs were terrible and wish there was more cushioning. Unfortunately you can't get your own chairs.

Last edited:
My recommendation is to definitely take each break even if its just to walk around to get your blood flowing and do some stretches. Don't power through and risk getting distracted by body aches. Also try to sit with your back straight and feet flat on the ground to avoid any cramps and remain focused.

My center was pretty noisy but thankfully they had a box of earplugs and offered everyone a pair. I was in my own world and didn't hear a thing. I would call your center and ask in advance because if they don't offer ear plugs you should be allowed to bring your own according to the official guide (as long as they're sealed). The plugs were great, top decibel rating and used in the air force, just make sure you use them right. You can buy your own if they don't have them. Amazon product

The over-ear headsets are painful and will numb your ears out after a while, at least my ears are sensitive to them. My only issue was that our chairs were terrible and wish there was more cushioning. Unfortunately you can't get your own chairs.

Hm so I tried finding a better earplugs and I found a decent pair at Staples but the one you linked seems to top quality. I might check it out. Thanks!