Physican LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feipar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I've read that some medical schools require a physician LOR. Is there a list of such schools available on this forum? Thanks.

Can a moderator move this question to the general pre-med forum? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Both AAMC and AACOM publish books with this kind of information.

If you're serious about applying to medical school you need one or both (depending on whether you want to apply for MD and/or DO), so just buy the books you need and you'll have the lists!

Most schools do require a physician LOR, and even if they don't *require* it, you're still probably better off having one. Long store short: Get one!

Most schools do require a physician LOR, and even if they don't *require* it, you're still probably better off having one. Long store short: Get one!

I don't know of any MD schools that require a letter from a physician; only some DO schools require you to have one from a DO.

There's not going to be much value to a letter that has nothing but generic niceties in it, which is why schools want letters from professors that have taught you and evaluated your performance quantitatively. In my opinion, if you get a physician letter, make sure you know them well.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, if you get a physician letter, make sure you know them well.

I have read in a "How to Get Into Medical School" book (written by a former admissions manager) that physician letters are strong even if they're impersonal. The reason given was that adcom people know that physicians are busy, so if they agree at all to write you a letter then they must like you quite a bit.

I know this sounds sketchy, but I'm just repeating what I've read :)

I have read in a "How to Get Into Medical School" book (written by a former admissions manager) that physician letters are strong even if they're impersonal. The reason given was that adcom people know that physicians are busy, so if they agree at all to write you a letter then they must like you quite a bit.

I know this sounds sketchy, but I'm just repeating what I've read :)

Well I suppose it depends on the person as to how much value they place on a particular letter, but the general consensus on SDN is that a mediocre letter from a physician who does not know you is not very valuable.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10483375#post10483375
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6769783#post6769783

Regardless, they are not required by the great majority (any?) MD schools, so I wouldn't sweat it if you don't have one. I know I won't...