Physician self prescribing - Iowa specifically

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read the Iowa law manual - and either it is not addressed, or I missed it - can providers self prescribe in Iowa? (taking my MPJE) - I know in Illinois they can't self prescribe controlls but could self prescribe non-controls (back in 2005 anyway). Not trying to start an argument over whether they should or not, just what the law reads.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

thanks - must have missed that section - I am looking at moving home - hard decision - currently have a great job with great pay in a highly desirable location and high on seniority list at my current institution - but having a baby and thinking of being around family sure changes things.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there any place that says who in Iowa has prescriptive authority from a mid-level perspective? I vaguely remember my time as an Intern that either NP's or PA's couldn't write C-IIs

is there any place that says who in Iowa has prescriptive authority from a mid-level perspective? I vaguely remember my time as an Intern that either NP's or PA's couldn't write C-IIs

This is in flux, the rules (regulations) just changed for Controlled Prescribing for MLPs in Iowa as of October. I'd ask the Board of Pharmacy what the rules are now because I think the published regulations are not right. ARC 4132C is the changes, but I'm not sure how they've been implemented yet.

This is in flux, the rules (regulations) just changed for Controlled Prescribing for MLPs in Iowa as of October. I'd ask the Board of Pharmacy what the rules are now because I think the published regulations are not right. ARC 4132C is the changes, but I'm not sure how they've been implemented yet.
how/why does someone in DC know so much about Iowa law? :)

At one point, I was required by my job to have licenses in all surrounding states to MN as well as MN when I was a regional assigned pharmacist in Civil Service (and my moonlighting job at Walgreens required a CA, FL, OH, NY, and IL license for strikebreaking if it came to it). That, and I'm still oversight over the IG section for regulatory analysis and get summaries and comparisons from the IG legal staff weekly which I still read. I get reimbursed for those 18 licenses such that the burden is just keeping the CE in order which is a joke due to my job and BCNP requirements.

Since I use none of them now in my day to day, I've considered letting all but three go, but I get reimbursed and get 120 additional hours a year off to deal with the requirements.

That, and my memory doesn't suck. One of my unofficial jobs in the civil service is to be an institutional memory for unofficial policymaking and personnel.

Reactions: 1 user
If it's not narcs and the insurance plans don't care and some chain doesn't have a policy...go for it..who cares?

If it's not narcs and the insurance plans don't care and some chain doesn't have a policy...go for it..who cares?
I am guessing the MPJE cares - I won't ever be working retail, so not an issue for me - but I need to pass that pesky test

Reactions: 1 users
At one point, I was required by my job to have licenses in all surrounding states to MN as well as MN when I was a regional assigned pharmacist in Civil Service (and my moonlighting job at Walgreens required a CA, FL, OH, NY, and IL license for strikebreaking if it came to it). That, and I'm still oversight over the IG section for regulatory analysis and get summaries and comparisons from the IG legal staff weekly which I still read. I get reimbursed for those 18 licenses such that the burden is just keeping the CE in order which is a joke due to my job and BCNP requirements.

Since I use none of them now in my day to day, I've considered letting all but three go, but I get reimbursed and get 120 additional hours a year off to deal with the requirements.

That, and my memory doesn't suck. One of my unofficial jobs in the civil service is to be an institutional memory for unofficial policymaking and personnel.
I would do a heck of a lot for an additional 120 hours off a year - with pharmacist letter - you can easily keep track of the odd ball things you need for each state - If I had that I would take one week a year to go to a fun conference (skiing, or somewhere beachy) and knock out my live requirements - spend a couple of days trolling on PL to pick up the odds and ends - and you easily have a week and a half of extra vacation - sign me up!

another random question - once I take the Iowa MPJE - do they post the scores online like they used to? or do they mail you your score?

Reactions: 1 user