PHYSICS harmonics + standing waves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

br2pi5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Just wanted to confirm equations!

both open ends--> wavelength = 2L/n (n being # of nodes)
both closed ends --> wavelength = 2L/n (n being #antinodes)
one open, one closed --> wavelength = 4L/n (n being only odd positive integers, no even # harmonics)

Is this correct? If so, how would I tackle a problem like the one in KA (attached)? Since it only said open or closed, I thought it meant both open and both closed, thus using the same equation of 2L/n (different n's).

OPEN n=4, wavelength = 2L/4 and frequency = 4v/2L
CLOSED n=3, wavelength = 2L/3 and frequency = 3v/2L
how is this a factor of 2? I'm definitely doing something wrong....

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 9.22.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 9.22.17 PM.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 74

^My work. Actually didn't need the diagrams, just the formulas. We're just using those 3 formulas^ and rearranging stuff to get frequency (f) into each equation and comparing those (the v is the same for each pipe, so that variable doesn't change anything).

^My work. Actually didn't need the diagrams, just the formulas. We're just using those 3 formulas^ and rearranging stuff to get frequency (f) into each equation and comparing those (the v is the same for each pipe, so that variable doesn't change anything).
so I can better understand it visually, on your first diagram, you only have 2 nodes and 2 antinodes right? I might not be reading it correctly though

so I can better understand it visually, on your first diagram, you only have 2 nodes and 2 antinodes right? I might not be reading it correctly though

Right. I wish it was as easy as “3rd harmonic has 3 nodes” but it doesn’t work like that for a closed pipe

Members don't see this ad :)
would you mind taking me through your thought process when answering the question?

Red boxes are the main equations I used.

Let me know if ya want me to clarify anything here^

Last edited:
Red boxes are the main equations I used.

Let me know if ya want me to clarify anything here^
so n= nodes and not what I previously thought, that n meant something different for either a closed-closed or open-open or open-closed pipe? (from first post)

so n= nodes and not what I previously thought, that n meant something different for either a closed-closed or open-open or open-closed pipe? (from first post)

I believe n represents which harmonic it is (ie. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc).
(I too used to think n referred to the nodes/antinodes but more recently realized it’s not that)

I believe n represents which harmonic it is (ie. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc).
(I too used to think n referred to the nodes/antinodes but more recently realized it’s not that)
Hi justin! how would you do this question?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 1.35.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 1.35.49 PM.png
    112.4 KB · Views: 55
Got it, also I just realized it's a system of equations type of problem so I could set the Ls equal to each other (except one has the (n+2)) and solve for n.

Nice! Was trying to do the system of equations thing at first but didn’t think of doing the n + 2 thing