Pikeville Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!!! Discuss Away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying this year!

cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.28, MCAT July 6th

State of Residency: KY (western)

#1 Choice!

I'm applying this year as well. I grew up in Kentucky, 45 minutes from Pikeville.

3.2/3.2 and mcat July 14th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also applying here.

IN resident
3.94 Undergrad cGPA
4.00 Undergrad sGPA
3.90 Graduate GPA (MA Bioethics and Medical Humanities)
MCAT on 7/14
Published research, years of volunteering and shadowing, current oncology researcher.

Not sure where Pikeville sits on my list yet; hoping for a few interviews and then compiling a rank list.

Hey I've been reading about this school and I was just wondering what their IS preference is?

I found a chart at one time that showed the matriculant percentages by IS/OOS, but I can't seem to locate it again.

Hey I've been reading about this school and I was just wondering what their IS preference is?

I found a chart at one time that showed the matriculant percentages by IS/OOS, but I can't seem to locate it again.

KYCOM gives preference to students from Kentucky, the Appalachian region, and other medically underserved areas who will help KYCOM fulfill its mission, which is "to provide men and women with an osteopathic medical education that emphasizes primary care, encourages research, promotes lifelong scholarly activity, and produces graduates who are committed to serving the health care needs of communities in rural Kentucky and other Appalachian regions."

Out of the 83 students in the class of 2015, 49 are Kentucky residents (~59%). Ohio and Indiana residents make up the majority of our OOS students, but we also have students from Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Michigan, Illinois, and Pennsylvania.

Finally got my first confirmation email from OU-HCOM, here's to hoping Pikeville's comes soon too!

C/O 2016 member here. 25 days til we start! The new facility looks AMAZING. If you think of Pikeville as a backwoods dump, well you would be surprised now. Everything is state of the art

Just wondering if anyone has received the 2012-2013 secondary app prompt yet and if so can they post it so I can get a head start? Much appreciated.

Just wondering if anyone has received the 2012-2013 secondary app prompt yet and if so can they post it so I can get a head start? Much appreciated.

I haven't seen anything yet :scared:

I don't remember exactly what the prompt was for my class, but the basic idea was to explain to the admissions committee why you think you would be a good candidate to help fulfill the mission of KYCOM (which I conveniently posted a few posts up). There is a lot of good information on the university's website about the college's history and mission statement, so it would probably be a good idea to read up on everything before writing the essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember exactly what the prompt was for my class, but the basic idea was to explain to the admissions committee why you think you would be a good candidate to help fulfill the mission of KYCOM (which I conveniently posted a few posts up). There is a lot of good information on the university's website about the college's history and mission statement, so it would probably be a good idea to read up on everything before writing the essay.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Here is a PDF with some images of the new medical building. These photos were taken in early June, so they aren't the most recent images available. From what I've been told, a lot of progress has been made in the past month. I will post more photos as they become available.

Attachments

• KYCOM Coal Building Images.pdf
    201.9 KB · Views: 209
Still nothing from Pikeville. I'm getting antsy. Might just email them and ask when to expect a secondary.

Took my MCAT July 6th :xf:

Can't wait to get Pikeville's secondary!

Still nothing from Pikeville. I'm getting antsy. Might just email them and ask when to expect a secondary.

Keep us informed. I've been waiting for one too. I've gotten all my secondaries completed and i'm still waiting on Pikeville. Worth the wait though!

What is the average GPA and MCAT for this school? I hope they take into consideration of working in a rural hospital for 2 years.

What is the average GPA and MCAT for this school? I hope they take into consideration of working in a rural hospital for 2 years.

They do. Rural Medicine is part of the schools mission

In my experience, I found KYCOM to be very forward-thinking in terms of evaluating my application. My GPA and MCAT were both above the KYCOM average, but they were not even mentioned in my interview. The faculty I with whom I interviewed were much more interested in my work experiences, shadowing experiences, future goals, and personal interests. Obviously, they are looking for students who can perform well on standardized exams, but after comparing my interview at KYCOM to my interviews at other institutions it was clear that the KYCOM faculty were looking for well-rounded individuals and not just applicants with high MCAT scores.

So to answer your question: yes, the admissions committee will most definitely take your prior work experience into consideration when evaluating your application. Good luck.

In my experience, I found KYCOM to be very forward-thinking in terms of evaluating my application. My GPA and MCAT were both above the KYCOM average, but they were not even mentioned in my interview. The faculty I with whom I interviewed were much more interested in my work experiences, shadowing experiences, future goals, and personal interests. Obviously, they are looking for students who can perform well on standardized exams, but after comparing my interview at KYCOM to my interviews at other institutions it was clear that the KYCOM faculty were looking for well-rounded individuals and not just applicants with high MCAT scores.

So to answer your question: yes, the admissions committee will most definitely take your prior work experience into consideration when evaluating your application. Good luck.

Thank you for that info! I'm really excited about this school!

Does anybody know when secondaries went out last year?

Last year was late August, since they were in the middle of switching over to a new school name. I emailed them last week and have had no reply.

I am kind of glad to hear secondaries haven't been sent out here yet. I'm an underdog who grew up in Eastern Kentucky, so I think Pikeville may be my best chance. I took the mcat this past Saturday (7/14) so my application is a little behind.

I'll be retaking my MCAT in August (prob the 17th). My stats are 3.2/3.4 with last 4yrs cgpa of 3.6. My MCAT was a low 23 (verbal killed me). Great LORs, ECs, etc. will my late submission kill me? I'm hoping to raise my MCAT to 26 or more. I love that this school is small town as my wife and I are part of rural town now.

Get the mcat up and balanced and you'll be ok

Cool prompts?

Statement of Purpose: Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician. Please also explain why you are applying to KYCOM for osteopathic medical education and why you believe you will be a successful KYCOM medical student. (1-2 pages maximum)

Anyone else secondary say entering Fall 2012? I didn't notice until after I submitted it.

Secondary completed and sent in, fee payed, letters sent..

Just waiting on my DO letter now

I was just curious about why you used payed instead of paid.

I was just curious about why you used payed instead of paid.

Means the same thing- "American Heritage Dictionary' does state that payed is the same as paid" but maybe because I was on my phone

All I need is to fine-tune my essay, and UP-KYCOM will be good to go. I'm ready to get interview season underway.

Just realized I referred to UP-KYCOM as KYCOM in my whole secondary. Bad or just over thinking it?

nobody else noticed it saying "STARTING FALL 2012?" besides the one guy above?

is this ok? lol

Yeah I saw that yesterday; today my secondary gives me the choices "Fall 2012" and "Fall 2013." Maybe it's not too late for this year?? LOL

Yeah I saw that yesterday; today my secondary gives me the choices "Fall 2012" and "Fall 2013." Maybe it's not too late for this year?? LOL

mine does not give me a choice