Pikeville SOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks lawyerdoc!

I received my complete email on July 28th, crossing my fingers for good news. Are you from the Appalacia area? I'm from Indiana personally, but I feel like I have good stats for PCSOM and I wrote some good essays. Keep us posted!

Members don't see this ad.

I live in Florida. I spoke to Ms. Hamilton and she told me that a large number of the students are from outside of the area and that there are some Alumni from Florida who practice here. So, I am crossing my fingers too.

I like the small town area - no study distractions. Most of all, I desire primary care in a rural area.

Anyone hear anything about invites yet? I am getting anxious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hang in there. I was told letters are expected to be mailed by September 11th for the files reviewed so far.

:xf:

Hey guys thought this information may be useful to some.

Attachments

• 08_SOM_factsheet.pdf
    142.7 KB · Views: 500
Are students from pikeville able to enter any D.O. residency because I was reading that it was only primary care

Are students from pikeville able to enter any D.O. residency because I was reading that it was only primary care
They can enter any residency. The school looks for students who desire primary care to fulfil its mission statement.

Has anyone got in touch w/ PCSOM admission office? I called many times but it led me to the voice mail every time.

Has anyone got in touch w/ PCSOM admission office? I called many times but it led me to the voice mail every time.

I spoke with Ms. Angel Hamilton last week. She anticipated receiving a list of applicants selected for interviews from the Admissions Committee shortly. Her expectation was to begin mailing (snail mail) invitations to interview by last Friday. I do not want to become a pest so I haven't had any futher contact with her since then.

I am waiting and hopeful for an interview. I feel like an expantant father in a waiting room. I pray that we will hear some good news soon. I check the mailbox every day. Nothing yet.:xf:

I'm in the same boat. Pikeville was the first secondary I filled out and first to be complete. I am leaving today-Sunday for my AZCOM interview so I will have to put my mailbox stalking on the back burner. I am bringing my laptop so please anyone if you get an invite share it! Good luck everyone!

Got interview invite to Pikeville today via email.

The invite said that my application for the class entering August 2009 has been reviewed. Oh well, at least I got an interview invite.

Got interview invite to Pikeville today via email.

The invite said that my application for the class entering August 2009 has been reviewed. Oh well, at least I got an interview invite.
Congratulations on receiving an interview invitation. What date is your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I met with Angel this morning for a tour, and she had all of the interview letters ready to be sent! I'll be interviewing Oct 16th!

Hey, I met with Angel this morning for a tour, and she had all of the interview letters ready to be sent! I'll be interviewing Oct 16th!
I wonder if Angel was going to e-mail everyone to be interviewed or is just going to mail letters. I hope that I'm on her mailing list.

Yeah, I didn't get an email, so I think they are all being mailed, there was a pretty big stack.

I'm interviewing on Oct. 9 too, time md! Just found out this past Saturday through email. :D My notification said August 2009 also.

Congrates DrTsunami. Are you OOS or in?

Well no letter yet for me. I am OOS in Indiana. I bet people should start getting letters soon. If anyone does, please post it. Anyone else getting anxious?:scared:

I just called Angel and she said that committee meets every 2 weeks n they send out interview invites thru emails.

info on how interview invites is really inconsistent. letter through snail mail? email? i've heard both reports in there.

info on how interview invites is really inconsistent. letter through snail mail? email? i've heard both reports in there.

I agree. I might call later this week. It sounds like Pirate went to PCSOM and Angel told him/her about their interview, yet didnt receive an email. I am confused as well but will just keep checking my mail. Any current student care to clear this up? Thanks

My interview invite came via email. I talked to Angel yesterday, and she did not mention that I would receive a follow up letter in the mail. Earlier in the process I also received notification that my application was complete via email. I have not received any information from PCSOM via snail mail. Hope this helps.

Yeah, she had a stack of hard copies to send out. She showed me mine, but said I couldn't take it. So I'm not sure if invites are sent both ways or not. I have not received an email nor a snail mail invite since I met with her. This is confusing, but I pushed my interview back to Oct. 16th, so maybe that's why I haven't seen one yet.

Time md-- how about you? OOS or in? Anyone else got an interview on the 9th?

I got an email from Angel informing me about my interview on a Friday. The interview packet came in the mail by the following Monday. The letter was dated that Friday. . . .

Woke up this morning to my interview invite via email. Have not received anything via mail yet. Just letting everyone know. My interview date is Oct. 16, and I'm OOS.

I'm interviewing on October 16th!!!!
I couldn't be more excited about it!!!!

Just got an email inviting me to the interview session in October :) I'm so excited! Pikeville is my first choice, so I really want to nail the interview. Anyone got any tips about what to wear, how the interview usually go, things to pay attention to? I'm also curious about how many candidates are usually at each interivew round. I've heard, with some speculation, that getting an interview at Pikeville is a very good sign of getting in--like they use the interview as more of a confirmation of whether or not you'll be a good fit at the school. Any help anyone could give would be fantastic!

I'm currently working on my AACOMAS. Do I still have time to get 2ndaries completed and interviewed?

Congrats to those who got interviews already. I've heard that there have been a lot of applicants this year. As for what to expect at the interview, you will have two interviewers that interview you at the same time. It's pretty relaxed and they'll talk to you about your life and why you want to do medicine. You'll have an info session before your interview and then after your interview, you'll have a student led tour around the school and they'll give you the info about the school from the student's perspective. It's one of the shorter interview days because there's no need to talk about financial aid until you've gotten in ect. ect. In any case, you'll get a feeling if the interview goes well or not after. Out of all schools I interviewed at, I felt like PCSOM gave me an unbiased well approached interview. As a student, I have enjoyed my time at PCSOM. Med school has it's highs and lows but the school is small and students help eachother out and we work to help those who are struggling. The professors are very quality in general and have a history of preparing most people for boards. Downside, Pikeville has very little to do outside of hanging out with your friends from school or doing outdoors activities. They do have pretty good concerts that come to the expo center. Also, rotations sites can change from year to year. But once you rotate at a core site then you are there for two years which is good. The rotations are a weak point that they are working to fix. I'll be able to give you the most quality opinion once I've taken boards. Good luck to everyone.

How long did it take everyone to get Pikeville's secondary? I have almost all of mine with the exception of Pikeville and one other. Do they screen some before sending them out or are they just a little slower?

Just got an email inviting me to the interview session in October :) I'm so excited! Pikeville is my first choice, so I really want to nail the interview. Anyone got any tips about what to wear, how the interview usually go, things to pay attention to? I'm also curious about how many candidates are usually at each interivew round. I've heard, with some speculation, that getting an interview at Pikeville is a very good sign of getting in--like they use the interview as more of a confirmation of whether or not you'll be a good fit at the school. Any help anyone could give would be fantastic!

There are generally 20 candidates in an interview group. The interviews are laid back, and they are mostly for confirmation that you are the same in person as on paper. Any other questions, let me know

transportation questions for people who have been interviewed:

What airport did you fly into?
Did you rent a car or cab/shuttle service?
Recommend a hotel?
Is it absolutely necessary to rent a car?

There are generally 20 candidates in an interview group. The interviews are laid back, and they are mostly for confirmation that you are the same in person as on paper. Any other questions, let me know

So is Pikeville one of the schools with a really high acceptance rate of interviewees?

Good luck in your interviews everyone!

PCSOM is a great school with small class sizes and with a very accessible faculty.

My advice on interviews is to just relax and be yourself, you've made it this far and the interview is the easiest part of the whole application process

Anyone else on here interview on the 9th. We should be hearing something soon.

Anyone else on here interview on the 9th. We should be hearing something soon.
ya, i had an interview on the 9th as well.. i sure hope we hear soon.. like tomorrow. i love it out there and cant wait to hear something.. my name is adam as well.. i think i remember hearing them call your name. i enjoyed my interview for the most part. good luck.. how namy people you think were there? 15?

ya, i had an interview on the 9th as well.. i sure hope we hear soon.. like tomorrow. i love it out there and cant wait to hear something.. my name is adam as well.. i think i remember hearing them call your name. i enjoyed my interview for the most part. good luck.. how namy people you think were there? 15?

There were 20.

For any of you that had an interview, were there any hard questions. I saw on the forum that sometimes they ask a physics question. Is this the case? Any advice would be great!

Thanks!!!!!

I had an interview on Oct. 9th too! I loved it out there as well. Now, I'm waiting by my phone. My interview went well, I think. People said, being an early interviewee was a good sign. No doubt in my mind, Pikeville is my first pick! Very impressive people. Impressive program.

Questions: What is the acceptance trend of interviewees--especially in the early stages of the interview season? Do they get feedback from their students that meet the interviewees and do the tours? I'm a bundle of nerves right now!

I am ready to hear something for sure. Ms. hamilton said calls would start last night. But who knows maybe they are behind...

anyone heard any good news this morning? she did say they could contact you by phone or letter. cant wait to hear something.

For any of you that had an interview, were there any hard questions. I saw on the forum that sometimes they ask a physics question. Is this the case? Any advice would be great!

Thanks!!!!!

It was pretty relaxed and conversational. They just want some insight beyond your application for the most part.