Pikeville SOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing yet here. Waiting for some hopefully positive news.

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing yet here either! They must be running behind because they said they'd notify us whether it was a yes, no, or waitlist . . . longest day ever!!!

I got accepted! They called at 7:11 last night! Yeeeeeeha! Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Called about 6:30 last night! I am pumped! Congrats to anyone else accepted and good luck to those with upcoming interviews!

I was complete on Sept. 24 and haven't heard anything yet.
I tried to call but nobody picks up the phone.
How long?????????????????????????

I received my acceptance yesterday via snail mail.

Just started a thread for the PCSOM Class of 2014!

There is now a Facebook page called PCSOM Class of 2014 for anyone interested. It has only a few things on it now, but as time passes, people can join and add what they find . . . good luck to everyone!

I interviewed last friday but haven't gotten a call yet. Anyone else in the same boat?

Anyone have an E-mail address for someone in the Admission dept. My primary application was submitted over a month ago and I have yet to even receive a secondary for this school. I tried looking for contact information on their web page, but couldnt find anything but a phone number, which they dont seem to want to answer.

The number for the school is: 606-218-5406. I think that goes to Angel's office/desk. She is SUPER busy so you have to try your luck. You can always try to email her at: [email protected] Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in!! Dean Buser called me around 8:45 this morning and then tried again about 4:30 this afternoon.

The number for the school is: 606-218-5406. I think that goes to Angel's office/desk. She is SUPER busy so you have to try your luck. You can always try to email her at: [email protected] Good luck!

I tried calling Angel today for my status but she's out of the office until Nov 2. I'm hoping for an interview here.

Accepted!!! Dean Buser called me Tuesday morning! Congrats to everyone accepted so far and good luck to those still waiting! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Congrats to all who were accepted. I got the call last week. Its a great feeling. Im still waiting on a few responses from other schools, but I really loved the atmosphere at Pikeville. Good luck to everyone

I have an interview coming up on Nov 6th (it took some time for me to get a DO letter of rec sent in)... I was accepted to Ohio Univ. last week... I am a Kentucky resident, but was really impressed with OU.. I was just wondering if anyone had any input or opinions on the two programs.. especially considering i'm a non-resident at OU... its going to be a big decision, and I am all ears if anyone can help me out haha :D

I tried calling Angel today for my status but she's out of the office until Nov 2. I'm hoping for an interview here.

I called yesterday, the lady that picked up the phone told me Angel would be there this Monday and I should try calling back then. :confused:

I found out Friday that I am on the hold list for PCSOM. Anyone heard of students getting accepted off their hold list?

Has anyone who has been accepted recieved the info pack from Angel yet?

Is it too late to apply to PCSOM? I'm waiting for my AACOMAS to be verified (sent in about 3 weeks ago).

It is not too late... the earlier the better, but as far as I know.. the deadline is around March 1... dont quote me on that please! but definitly the sooner the better... Goodluck!

Just thought you guys might want to know that PCSOM has just announced that we'll be rennovating/constructing a new building. This will house lecture halls, a new anatomy lab, and a state of the art clinical center where the human model program will be run out of. FYI, not many schools have human models and let me tell you. . . you need to practice on real people before you go out there. I don't know when the construction will start but they are working on raising more funds and getting the ball rolling.

I have been trying to call them for a few weeks now, everytime I call, noone picks up. When someone does pick up, they say they can't help me. I leave voicemails and they don't return a call back. I was wondering if anybody has any idea what the problem is.

I have been trying to call them for a few weeks now, everytime I call, noone picks up. When someone does pick up, they say they can't help me. I leave voicemails and they don't return a call back. I was wondering if anybody has any idea what the problem is.

same here. I've been trying calling them for 3 weeks now and no one answers the phone. could the current Med students come by the office and check for us hopefuls??? Thank you so much. your help is greatly appreciated by us all! :love:

Interviewed yesterday... Cant wait to hear something... This is gonna be a rough decision.

Interviewed yesterday... Cant wait to hear something... This is gonna be a rough decision.

What program are you really into other than Pikeville? And what about Pikeville makes you say it's going to be a really tough decision? I haven't heard too much either here or there about this school in the forums lately and I hope to eventually interview there.

A quick question: The secondary states the LOR requirement is one D.O., one science faculty, and committee/advisor. My committee letter was formed through multiple science faculty members. Do I need to have an additional science faculty letter? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

A quick question: The secondary states the LOR requirement is one D.O., one science faculty, and committee/advisor. My committee letter was formed through multiple science faculty members. Do I need to have an additional science faculty letter? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

No dude, they just want the names of those (committee compilation) recommendors listed there, no need to find another set of recommendors.

What program are you really into other than Pikeville? And what about Pikeville makes you say it's going to be a really tough decision? I haven't heard too much either here or there about this school in the forums lately and I hope to eventually interview there.

The other school is Ohio University. I'm a KY resident... so that makes me lean more towards the KY school. Also, if I were to go to OU, I have to practice in the state of Ohio for 5 years upon graduation or completion of residency, or whatnot. A quick comparison: OU has very nice labs (gross, micro, OMT, ect). Pikeville is smaller, and the lab isnt quite as nice as others i've seen (w/ it being so small). Athens (OU) is a muh larger city than Pikeville, but would have its numerous distractions. The fact is, I'll (or we'll) will be in medical school to study and learn medicine. In that case, either schools will help us accomplish our goals... So really, the glitz and glame of pretty labs means nothing when it comes down the the nitty gritty... Still a tough choice. What really stuck out was the family atmosphere at Pikeville, and the faculty's open door policy... If anyone else has any input, please ellaborate, as I am open ears to anything in making my decision.

I just got the email today saying that my file is complete. How long will it be until I find out about an interview? Are they still sending the invites through the mail or do they call?

The other school is Ohio University. I'm a KY resident... so that makes me lean more towards the KY school. Also, if I were to go to OU, I have to practice in the state of Ohio for 5 years upon graduation or completion of residency, or whatnot. A quick comparison: OU has very nice labs (gross, micro, OMT, ect). Pikeville is smaller, and the lab isnt quite as nice as others i've seen (w/ it being so small). Athens (OU) is a muh larger city than Pikeville, but would have its numerous distractions. The fact is, I'll (or we'll) will be in medical school to study and learn medicine. In that case, either schools will help us accomplish our goals... So really, the glitz and glame of pretty labs means nothing when it comes down the the nitty gritty... Still a tough choice. What really stuck out was the family atmosphere at Pikeville, and the faculty's open door policy... If anyone else has any input, please ellaborate, as I am open ears to anything in making my decision.
FutureDoc,
I was in the same boat, having to decide between PCSOM and OUCOM. It's a tough call. I really liked that Ohio had an abundance of research opportunities, systems based curriculum, lectures available as mp3's and a few afternoons off a week. For me, though, significantly lower cost of attendance, small class size and freedom to do residency/practice wherever I want won out. I don't think you could go wrong either place, it's just a matter of figuring out the best fit. Good luck with the decision, and if you end up going with Pikeville, I'll see you in August.

Good luck deciding! I hope to have this problem of multiple acceptances soon :)

I just got the email today saying that my file is complete. How long will it be until I find out about an interview? Are they still sending the invites through the mail or do they call?

I got the same email a few days ago. I'm not sure how interview invites are sent out, but did your email say something about receiving an interview if there are still any left to give basically?? Haha, I mean I know the class is small, but I was a little taken aback when I read that part...didn't realize it might be reaching that point just yet.

yeah mine said the same thing. I'm a hoping to get an interview even though I'm outside the Appalachian region. I only have 1 interview so far at LMU-DCOM on Dec. 8 but waiting on a whole bunch of other schools. I like smaller communities and am really interested in this school. I called on Thursday and Angela said that my application was with the admissions committee. I've read on sdn that you receive a postcard in the mail saying you got an interview. I'm going to give it a week and then call again. Good luck to you!

First, Angel will call for an interview, hopefully everyone will hear something soon. She called me yesterday and said she had a stack of interview invites on her desk. But htat she wouldnt be done with them till Wed. (so hopefully ya'll will get a call next week).

Second, I read somewhere above that PCSOM is getting a human models lab. Is that where students can use the robots? like PCOM's STAN robot? I guess Im not really sure what a human models lab is. the only negative I see to PCSOM is the lack of technology so this would be a big deal!

As I posted earlier. The human model program has just been introduced at PCSOM. It's going better than expected and infact they are building 1-2 new buildings and completely gutting the current building to make room for an expansion of our clinical human model program and clinics. The human model program is where students go into exams individually with a preceptor and are tested and shown how to do exams on standardized patients. This is something not many schools have and is very very helpful in getting exposure to things like prostate exams, breast exams, pelvics, and general well physicals. This prepares you better than robots or models (which we did have at one time). Our school is currently upgrading many of the technological features at the school. PCSOM does not invest money in robots or jazzy stuff that people wont need come time for boards or rotations. They invest in teaching, and students. It's worked very well for 12 years so they're doing something right. To me, this school is strong at the core and ultimately when you invest in people then you get better results than blowing 500,000 dollars on something as pointless as a see-through opp table with a camera or a fancy fountain in a lobby. FYI our students are well respected as well at sites and this very much helps your chance for nailing that good residency.

are those updates in the works now? I'm waiting to hear about an interview from PCSOM and would be great if I could benefit from the new buildings etc. Also does PCSOM offer medical spanish classes or international rotations?

If you haven't already, would everybody who got accepted care to share their stats? Thanks!

you will probably see the building in your tenure at the school. We offer spanish medical classes but they are through SOMA and not the school curriculum. We have the opportunity to rotate internationally through other schools but we also have the opportunity to go on mission trips all over the world.

For your statement of purpose, did you write it in a letter format? As in...

Dear XYZ,

This is why I want to go to your school.

Sincerely,
John Doe(signature)

Or did you just write it as an essay without a heading and a signature?

They are supposed to start construction this spring/summer. The construction will be in two phases. The standardized patient labs will be built in the first phase. These labs will also be used for our OPP clinic. Our clinic is open Wednesday and Friday to the public by appointment. This gives students a chance to practice everything from taking vital signs to performing OMT.

I will not deny the lack of technology when it comes to the robots. But, with that said! I am an OMS I and will be performing my first standardized patient exam tomorrow. As first years, we will also be performing male and female genital/urinary exams in the spring with standardized patients. Robotic models are great, but a real live patient is what you will be treating in the future.

no one at the office picks up calls or return messages. i have mailed my secondary and application fee over 6weeks ago and no complete mail yet. it is very frustrating. the last time i spoke to someone they left me on the phone for 45mins to go look for my application, i finally just gave-up. anyone in this same situation?

I tried to call last week, and nobody answered the phone. So I feel you there.

However, I got a complete email about 2 weeks after sending in my secondary/fee.

finally was able to get thru today. they said my file will be going to the adcom today!