placed on hold?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socalstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, long time reader, first time post-er. I just interviewed for NOVA and they told me that my prerequisite GPA needs improvement and have placed me on hold. Right now my stats are as follows:

OAT:
TS: 310
AA: 320

Science GPA:2.90
Overall: 3.2

I know that I'm already really lucky to have received and interview invitation from NOVA especially because my stats are kind of lower than theirs, but I assume it's because I have an extensive background in research. I was wondering if anyone else has been placed on hold. Not just for NOVA, but any schools? I'm just kind of confused about what that really means in terms of my chances of getting in. Any kind of anecdotal feedback would be really helpful. Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you taking any classes this semester? As in this fall?

I think placing you on hold is like putting you on the waitlist. Like what suprastang said above, if you are taking some classes right now, they are probably waiting for your grades to see how you did, and that may be the deciding factor. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I'm thinking...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I am. I know actually that they're waiting for my grades to come in before making a definite decision. I think I'm more concerned about whether or not being placed on hold is like a euphemism for a rejection, or it's a black worm hole I'll never be able to work out of. :/

A doc I worked for told me, "You only want to go to a school that wants you."

Yeah, I am. I know actually that they're waiting for my grades to come in before making a definite decision. I think I'm more concerned about whether or not being placed on hold is like a euphemism for a rejection, or it's a black worm hole I'll never be able to work out of. :/

If they wanted to reject you, they would have. They have no reason to beat around the bush. You still have a chance of getting in, and the best thing you can do at this point is to do the best you can in your fall classes. I don't think schools start putting people on the waitlist until later on in the cycle, when most of their class is already filled. I think it is harder to get in from the waitlist than being on hold. There's still chance they'll accept you (rather than putting you on a waitlist, which is another alternative).

Also, despite what I already mentioned, I wouldn't necessarily bank on this school- put in your deposit elsewhere if that is an option. Assume you're going somewhere else in the meantime, and if you get into this school eventually that will just be a plus.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful. I'm still applying to other schools, Western, SCCO, and ICO. I'll definitely try to keep this posted in case anyone else is in the same boat as I am. Right now I'll just focus on finals and see how my application shapes up. Thanks again everyone!

I'm new to this forum, long time reader, first time post-er. I just interviewed for NOVA and they told me that my prerequisite GPA needs improvement and have placed me on hold. Right now my stats are as follows:

OAT:
TS: 310
AA: 320

Science GPA:2.90
Overall: 3.2

I know that I'm already really lucky to have received and interview invitation from NOVA especially because my stats are kind of lower than theirs, but I assume it's because I have an extensive background in research. I was wondering if anyone else has been placed on hold. Not just for NOVA, but any schools? I'm just kind of confused about what that really means in terms of my chances of getting in. Any kind of anecdotal feedback would be really helpful. Thanks all!

I was put on hold at SUNY last year, without being given a clear reason. Someone told me "off the record" that they did it so that their class wouldn't technically be filled early in the application cycle. However, you were pretty much told you need to improve your GPA. If I were you, I'd try to take one or more science courses and keep them updated.