Plan B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BarkyLove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be getting alittle ahead of myself, but I was curious what everyone's Plan B is if they don't get in this cycle. Or what you guys have done in previous cycles that didn't get in the first time round.

I mean, I know the main goal is to improve upon your application. But since I'm done with undergrad classes this upcoming spring, I'm not really sure what to do if I don't get in this cycle. I'm thinking about working towards my masters, but what type of degree would be an asset? I don't really want to go to school just for the sake of going.

I would love to hear about everyone's experiences or ideas...

Members don't see this ad.

It would really depend on why you didn't get in. I didn't get the first or second time I applied because I didn't have enough large animal experience and I was an out of state student. So I moved to Illinois and got a job two part time jobs: one working at the local animal shelter and one doing research with dairy calves. Then when I didn't get in again I shadowing at the vet school's large animal clinic.

If you don't get in for scholastic reasons then you should consider a master's, but you're right, it should only be something that you're interested in. I have a friend who did a lab animal master's program and loved it so much she wants to be a lab animal vet, but again, you should only pursue something you can see yourself enjoying.

Members don't see this ad :)
My plan B is to Marry my fiancé as soon as his boots touch the ground ( he's currently deployed ) :laugh: move to NY ( where he's stationed ) continue working in the vet field... And apply again... :laugh:

Really though, I need to improve my GRE, and gain more LA experience.. But I'll be doing that as a married woman :love: :laugh:

I've thought about getting a MPH...

I'm a long time lurker and I finally decided to make an account. I hope I'm doing this right. Thank you for those links kakurubird. Very helpful. I'm not applying this cycle but I plan on trying a few times if I don't get in when I do apply. If it's looking like it isn't going to happen for me after a few years, I plan on teaching.

My plan B is to Marry my fiancé as soon as his boots touch the ground ( he's currently deployed ) :laugh: move to NY ( where he's stationed ) continue working in the vet field... And apply again... :laugh:

Really though, I need to improve my GRE, and gain more LA experience.. But I'll be doing that as a married woman :love: :laugh:

Wow, you and I sound VERY similar Kpowell! I'm marrying my fiancé in July, would work on my GRE and large animal veterinary experience, I've seriously considered getting an MPH, and would apply again. It's nice to hear of someone with a similar plan! :)

Wow, you and I sound VERY similar Kpowell! I'm marrying my fiancé in July, would work on my GRE and large animal veterinary experience, I've seriously considered getting an MPH, and would apply again. It's nice to hear of someone with a similar plan! :)

Bahaha :laugh:

Sounds like we are twins! That would make me a triplet bc I've already met my other twin in the military so thread lol

Congrats on your wedding! Very exciting! We have pretty much decided to elope lol it's hard to plan a wedding when you have no idea when the deployment will be over and he will be home :( but it will save us money, and save me fom the stresses of wedding planning lol

Wow! Congrats Kpowell and boilermaker...that is really exciting and sounds like a great plan.

Thanks for the links Kakuru bird and everyone else for their input. I guess its never too early to start improving :)

Best of luck to everyone...hopefully we won't need a plan B...fingers crossed.

I've posted this basic stuff before in previous threads but here is my basic take on how to make a Plan B and C and D and E.....

Why didn't you get in? ID where your application has weaknesses and work to improve those.
Understand what skills you need to be a good vet student - and work towards living a life that PROVES you can be a good vet student - cause that's what they want - people that will come into their school and already possess the skill set to succeed in the academic program.

Improving your GPA is not always what's important - I have a 3.02 and for me there was no way to move that - I had taken so many credit hours because I had returned to school to get my pre reqs after having already done a bachelors degree. I chose to purse a Masters in Biology that was designed for pre-professional students - not research based. Now that I am almost done with my first semester in vet school I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I was way more prepared for the rigors of the DVM curriculum than I was before because of my master's and had exposure to LOTS of the material we are currently covering. It helped me tremendously.

My masters is in biology - took me 2 semesters (30 credit hours of graduate biology). While I was doing that I continued to work part time, took on large volunteer and community involvement projects. I had tons of hours experience in all fields except food animal medicine. So I did not really work on increasing my hours - rather just on making my life full of experiences that I enjoyed and worked hard as student to prove I could manage not just my academics but all aspects of life.

It took me 3 cycles to get in (2 real and 1 where I applied last minute). I did not have a Plan B the first time and that was a mistake. Definitely make a plan, but make it full of things you want to do and will expand your education.

Also - call the schools you applied to (if you don't get in) and ask to speak to someone about your application. Sometimes you have to push to get the right person and get the right feedback - but find someone that will give you honest feedback and listen with an open mind and make plans according to their feedback.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
If I don't get in this cycle, I plan to go into a master's program that has absolutely nothing to do with veterinary medicine (it's a foreign literature program). I'm doing it for no other reason than simply, "I want to." It would be at no cost to me (scholarships). In fact, I would receive a small stipend, which would allow me to keep volunteering and shadowing on a more flexible schedule than that of the paid position that I currently have at a vet clinic.

I would also really like to take microbio post-bac, since I think adcoms would like it (many even require it) and if I do well, it will boost my sci GPA.

It's an unorthodox and maybe risky plan, but I'm going to see a rejection as a, "hey, here's some time to better yourself as an applicant, now go do cool things that interest you while you accrue more vet hours and boost your GPA!" :laugh:

EDIT: Part of me posted this to show OP that there are a (scarce?) few of us that are considering unusual routes if we face rejection this cycle. However, I am also kindof phishing for responses from those who may think that deviating from biology/anything vet-med related graduate work when one is planning to re-apply down the road is The Worst Idea Ever. Maybe some of you have experience with this? Did it help you or did it complicate things? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Last edited:
EDIT: Part of me posted this to show OP that there are a (scarce?) few of us that are considering unusual routes if we face rejection this cycle. However, I am also kindof phishing for responses from those who may think that deviating from biology/anything vet-med related graduate work when one is planning to re-apply down the road is The Worst Idea Ever. Maybe some of you have experience with this? Did it help you or did it complicate things? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

The downside I see to that is- you may demonstrate the ability to succeed in the field of literature/humanities, but that's pretty different than upper level science courses. If your GPA needs the work (not like, "I only have a 3.5":rolleyes:), I would focus your efforts on classes similar to those you will be taking in vet school to show them you're up for the challenge. Adcoms might also wonder why you chose to pursue further education in an area completely unrelated to vet med, maybe even question your dedication/interest in the field? I think its a nice idea in theory, but in my honest opinion, it does have the potential to back fire.

I've been thinking about this a lot! My GPA is pretty low and I'm graduating with my bachelors in the spring so I have a ton of hours. I've been thinking about doing a non-thesis masters, but I would probably have to move out of state and I don't really want to put myself into more debt before I even go to vet school. What I really want to do is move home, get my own apartment and a dog, work at a SA clinic, volunteer in a different area, start riding horses again, and maybe take a few online classes to complete specific pre-reqs for some schools I couldn't apply to this year. I really just want to take a year to be close to my family and have time for things I love, like riding and saving money lol. I'm working on getting my grades up a bit this year, but it's tough since I have so many credits. I feel like I probably should do a masters, but I don't want to. I'm hoping that improving my GRE and expanding my experience, as well as improving my grades this year will make me a more favorable candidate for the next round.

Congrats to you and boilermaker713 on your future marriages :thumbup:

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been thinking about a plan B like crazy recently! I've thought about a masters in bio from where i'll get my bs from but i'll have to retake orgo 1 and both physics 1 & 2 just to apply :eek: If I don't go that route im going to get more LA hours and for sure retake one of my chem classes. I'll probably take some more upper level bio courses too.

The downside I see to that is- you may demonstrate the ability to succeed in the field of literature/humanities, but that's pretty different than upper level science courses. If your GPA needs the work (not like, "I only have a 3.5":rolleyes:), I would focus your efforts on classes similar to those you will be taking in vet school to show them you're up for the challenge. Adcoms might also wonder why you chose to pursue further education in an area completely unrelated to vet med, maybe even question your dedication/interest in the field? I think its a nice idea in theory, but in my honest opinion, it does have the potential to back fire.

Thanks for the input, redhead. My sci GPA is roughly a 3.2, whereas my cum is closer to a 3.4... Needless to say, science could use some improvement. So I agree with you on that. I've also thought a lot about your last point:
If, during an interview, my interest in vet med was questioned because I chose to pursue education in another field... :mad: ...well, I'd want to slap my interviewer. Can't people have multiple passions? What happened to adcoms insisting that we be well rounded applicants? Furthermore, I think having extensive knowledge of another academic field would only enable a veterinarian to better interact with his or her clients, and just be a more worldly knowledgeable person in general. I did my time in the sciences, just like everyone else in vet school. I think everyone on ANY career path should be allowed, nay, encouraged to nurture other intellectual pursuits, should they so choose.

Thanks for the input, redhead. My sci GPA is roughly a 3.2, whereas my cum is closer to a 3.4... Needless to say, science could use some improvement. So I agree with you on that. I've also thought a lot about your last point:
If, during an interview, my interest in vet med was questioned because I chose to pursue education in another field... :mad: ...well, I'd want to slap my interviewer. Can't people have multiple passions? What happened to adcoms insisting that we be well rounded applicants? Furthermore, I think having extensive knowledge of another academic field would only enable a veterinarian to better interact with his or her clients, and just be a more worldly knowledgeable person in general. I did my time in the sciences, just like everyone else in vet school. I think everyone on ANY career path should be allowed, nay, encouraged to nurture other intellectual pursuits, should they so choose.

I don't think anyone would NOT ask you why you did a foreign literature program to improve your application to vet school. It's not that it's wrong to do so, but you might want to come up with a less defensive answer.

Congratulations on your future marriages Kpopwell and boilermaker!

If I don't get in, I'm planning on working and getting more large animal veterinary experience hours because I feel like that is my main area of weakness. I would also like to spend some time traveling.

I may possibly go the Phd route eventually if I don't get in, but I would like to try a few more times before going down that path.

If I don't get in, I'm planning on working and getting more large animal veterinary experience hours because I feel like that is my main area of weakness. I would also like to spend some time traveling.

I may possibly go the Phd route eventually if I don't get in, but I would like to try a few more times before going down that path.

Thanks guys and/or girls :D I'm so excited :love:

I don't think anyone would NOT ask you why you did a foreign literature program to improve your application to vet school. It's not that it's wrong to do so, but you might want to come up with a less defensive answer.

I think a possible answer would be "I explored this passion, and it confirmed that I want to be a vet more than I want to be anything else" or some such. But also, I think that if something's interesting to you and you have the chance to study it without going into debt, go for it! You never know when having that knowledge will help you out or make your life better. Maybe some adcoms won't like it, but if foreign literature is really a passion of yours it'll be worth it.

I think a possible answer would be "I explored this passion, and it confirmed that I want to be a vet more than I want to be anything else" or some such. But also, I think that if something's interesting to you and you have the chance to study it without going into debt, go for it! You never know when having that knowledge will help you out or make your life better. Maybe some adcoms won't like it, but if foreign literature is really a passion of yours it'll be worth it.

Yeah, something like "I was disappointed to not get into vet school at first, but took this extra year as an opportunity to satisfy my other passion and expand another part of my mind. During this year I have done XYZ to improve my vet application and I am more than ready to jump into studying vet med."

Might come off a little better than slapping the interviewer.

I have already started my internship applications for next year, including a few that go through the summer and fall of 2013 in case I do not get accepted to vet school.

I did not start my VMCAS till late this cycle , but the VMCAS opens up July 1st usually?

To answer my own question - Last year, "The VMCAS 2013 application cycle opens June 7, 2012." (found here - http://www.aavmc.org/checklist.aspx)

Might come off a little better than slapping the interviewer.

Well I guess all this practice I've been doing with my slapping technique has been for naught! Dang.

Bunnity, to clarify, I wouldn't be so defensive in an interview LOL. I'm merely ranting about the fact that adcoms might actually consider something so enriching to be a black mark or a sign of faltering interest in vetmed.

Last edited:

Totally. The way I see it, I'm being handed an opportunity to explore something I love for free. I don't want to make a career out of it, though--my mind's set on vet med. And I think it's easier for me to put a positive spin on it than for the interviewers to pin it as being a detriment to my app.

My lang/lit professors sometimes joke with me and ask, "so you're going to be a multilingual, traveling vet who reads poetry to the animals?" :laugh:

Being multilingual is actually something that's of high importance to me. And if I had to go to an interview, I'd try to find a way to bring it up, too. I think a big reason of why people don't bring their animals to the vet is the language barrier for Latinos. I want to become fluent in Spanish so I can explain things to them more easily and hopefully increase the likelihood of them coming in. It'll also help because (at least here) there are so many Latinos at barns and farms. Our barn hands often administered the meds and being able to talk to them directly would make it more likely that everything would be given the right way. I've seen it many times that the barn owners even has a hard time communicating with their workers so that would make it easier on everybody.

If I ever own my own clinic, being (hopefully by then) trilingual will definitely be something that's advertised/made know.

On language barriers...

It's partially a language issue, but it's mostly a cultural, financial, and educational issue.

I come from a pretty low socioeconomic background in an urban environment, and I understand, from my experience, that veterinary medicine is simply not of high priority amongst families that can't even afford health care for themselves. However, I am bilingual and dabbling in achieving conversational abilities in other languages, too. I think being multilingual is an incredible asset, and it makes you so much more appreciative of the many ways in which we're unified :) So, no matter what, I think learning a new language is always a good thing!

On language barriers...

It's partially a language issue, but it's mostly a cultural, financial, and educational issue.

I come from a pretty low socioeconomic background in an urban environment, and I understand, from my experience, that veterinary medicine is simply not of high priority amongst families that can't even afford health care for themselves. However, I am bilingual and dabbling in achieving conversational abilities in other languages, too. I think being multilingual is an incredible asset, and it makes you so much more appreciative of the many ways in which we're unified :) So, no matter what, I think learning a new language is always a good thing!

Oh, I know there are other reasons, too. But this is one I can work on directly right now, so I will. I'm engaged to a Mexican guy and we have some struggles when it comes to animals. Rooster fighting is something he grew up with, has a huge scar even from it. He used to be a bull rider. He also doesn't understand why I would keep my German Shepherd inside the house. Why she can't eat all of the leftovers. Why it matters that she's cold.

So I understand that there's differences. But he's an example that it can be worked through. So if he changes his mind, there is a chance that others will too.

Wow! Congrats Kpowell and boilermaker...that is really exciting and sounds like a great plan.

Thank you so much everyone! I am definitely excited and can't wait marry my best friend :biglove: Also, as my boss said, a vet school acceptance would make a wonderful wedding gift! :D

My plan B isn't too defined but I have a list of things that I don't want to do:
1) Teach - 6 years of supply teaching has shown me that I don't actually like it
2) Grad school - I don't have a direct interest in research because what I'd like to study is going to be a *$^% to fund
3) Nursing - I don't relate as well with people as I do with animals.
4) Retail/hardware/grocery - Ugh! Been there, done that...

So that leaves a short list of actual ideas:
a) Tutoring - but the pay isn't very good unless you're willing to work 3-10 pm every day. Best in conjunction with a second (or third) part time job.
b) Coaching riding/barn manager - maybe.
c) Vet tech - I'm still undecided but satisfaction seems to depend on the practice that you work for and how much techs are allowed to do.
d) Start a family - a whole new set of worries and then requires a plan C!
e) Medical lab tech - I have a friend who enjoys this and I think I should learn more.

Does anyone have other novel ideas that they're kicking around?
My favourites from the other threads are stripper, the circus, and ski bunny!

Well I guess all this practice I've been doing with my slapping technique has been for naught! Dang.

I love the mental image of an interviewee sitting in an interview, getting asked a question, nodding as though it's completely reasonable, and then lunging across the room and slapping the interviewer. :laugh:

Is grad school a very common Plan B? Do a lot of vet schools expect you to take other classes/get a master's if you don't get in? I know that it ultimately depends on strengths/weaknesses of one's application... I was mostly considering a research-type job (if possible) as a Plan B while working/shadowing at a vet clinic to get more hours. There aren't really any large animal vets around where I live, but I definitely need to figure out a way to get some LA vet experience (all I currently have is light LA animal experience).

Last edited:
and a huge congrats to Kpopwell and boilermaker :D:D:D :love::love::love:

If anyone would like some help looking for LA experience and don't mind saying what area they are in, PM me. I'm awesomesauce at finding things online and I can make a contact list for you. :D

I've been thinking a lot about this lately ...

I'm considering a masters in chemistry (I :love: chem)

Or possibly pursuing bioengineering. I have my BS in aerospace engineering and working as a mechanical engineer is pitiful but a part of me questions if a different area of engineering would be more enjoyable :confused:

Is grad school a very common Plan B? Do a lot of vet schools expect you to take other classes/get a master's if you don't get in? I know that it ultimately depends on strengths/weaknesses of one's application... I currently have ~3.2 science GPA :)( UMich science=death) and about a 3.5 cGPA. I was mostly considering a research-type job (if possible) as a Plan B while working/shadowing at a vet clinic to get more hours. There aren't really any large animal vets around where I live, but I definitely need to figure out a way to get some LA vet experience (all I currently have is light LA animal experience).

I feel your pain on UMich science :mad:

Is grad school a very common Plan B? Do a lot of vet schools expect you to take other classes/get a master's if you don't get in? I know that it ultimately depends on strengths/weaknesses of one's application... I currently have ~3.2 science GPA :)( UMich science=death) and about a 3.5 cGPA. I was mostly considering a research-type job (if possible) as a Plan B while working/shadowing at a vet clinic to get more hours. There aren't really any large animal vets around where I live, but I definitely need to figure out a way to get some LA vet experience (all I currently have is light LA animal experience).

All the advice I've heard (for people who intend to reapply) is that you should "improve your application," so what that means depends on your application and what schools you're applying to. So, if you're really good on academics, working as a vet tech might be a good option, or if you've got a lot of experience but your GPA isn't great, doing a Master's program to show that you can handle graduate-level classes might be good.

I don't really know though, it's just my opinon.

It's is my third cycle, my second real one The first there was very little chance I would get in at all.

My between the first and second cycles I graduated a increased my GPA and GRE I also worked full time in a small animal hospital. I have two interviews my IS and an OOS and two waitlists.

For this third cycle I'm working on a business masters something I had no experience in and I'm lucky the school I did my undergrad at has a business masters for non business undergrad degrees. This program is hands down one of the best decision I made for my future and my life. The people I met and the stuff I've learned is priceless. I feel if I do get in this cycle that I will be a much better veterinarian.

If this cycle doesn't work out which with everything, I am going to pursue my MBA and if d my a nice 9-5 job and enjoy my ponies in my free time. I want to be. Veternarian more then anything but 3 times is all I can handle.

This is my second time applying...the first time though I can honestly say I did not do my best. I had put off applying another year after graduating, starting working full time, then realized about 6 weeks before the deadline I wanted to give it a go. I did not get in, but then looking back at my app I don't blame the schools...you cuold literally FEEL that I had done this last minute. I really thought I wanted to take more time off, work full time, then apply and once I started working I realized "ermm...what am I waiting on, exactly?"

So anyway...second time applicant...if I do not get in this year, I will be looking into taking prereqs that will allow me to apply to more schools (a lot of my "science" is not in a biology, but an animal science program...so tons of schools that require a full year of bio would not accept my reqs). My job would pay for my schooling, so it really is just a matter of putting in the work and time. I would also apply to more schools (I applied to 2 the first time, and 4 this time) including international ones (I ALMOST applied to RVC this cycle and at the last minute bailed). I really am not ready to live overseas, but maybe hearing "no" a second time would make me ready. My GPA is 3.73 and my GRE is above average, but I may retake the GRE (especially if my percentage continues to fall as more people take the new one). I have tons of experience in virtually everything but LA (I have some from school, but not a lot) so maybe I could look into shadowing a LA vet or horse vet but not to toot my own horn but my experience is above a lot of my peers and other stats I see on here.

I fully believe that the reason I did not get in the first time was the quality of my application and eLORS (also last minute). I feel great about this cycle...I am IS for VMRCVM so this plan B hoepfully will never have to be used. I cannot see myself being happy doing anything else...point blank period. I will be a veterinarian one way or another. :)

Just wanted to bump this thread because I've been thinking about this a lot as I anxiously wait for the adcoms to make their decisions. :scared:

I know my GPA is the weakest part of my application. There were definitely courses that I struggled through. But it's already taken me an extra year and a half to finish undergrad (extenuating circumstances plus needing to retake organic chemistry) so the thought of doing a graduate or masters program just for the sake of getting grades is just . . . UGH. I don't think I'm prepared - mentally or financially - to tack on another two years of school before I even make it to those four years of vet school.

I know getting some more vet hours will definitely help me, so I'm applying for jobs and trying to find an LA vet in the area (I know there has to be at least one, but they sure seem to keep quiet! :laugh: ). But has anyone else with a low GPA found that extra experience really helped their application?

If I absolutely have to go for a masters, I will, but I'd prefer to avoid it, at least for now.

Just wanted to bump this thread because I've been thinking about this a lot as I anxiously wait for the adcoms to make their decisions. :scared:

[...]

But has anyone else with a low GPA found that extra experience really helped their application?

If I absolutely have to go for a masters, I will, but I'd prefer to avoid it, at least for now.

It really depends on the school you're applying to in terms of how they will weigh that kind of stuff as well as your exact situation (how much experience in what areas you already have, what your academic trends are, etc...).

So if you're trying to figure out what to do, and if a masters will really help, I think your best bet is to ask during a post-mortem review what the adcoms specifically think will maximize your chances. And who knows, maybe it'll be a moot point and you'll get in this year!

And who knows, maybe it'll be a moot point and you'll get in this year!

I really really hope so, but I know my GPA is lower than most so I have to make sure I'm being realistic. Thank you for the advice! :thumbup:

I know my GPA is the weakest part of my application. There were definitely courses that I struggled through. But it's already taken me an extra year and a half to finish undergrad (extenuating circumstances plus needing to retake organic chemistry) so the thought of doing a graduate or masters program just for the sake of getting grades is just . . . UGH. I don't think I'm prepared - mentally or financially - to tack on another two years of school before I even make it to those four years of vet school.

I know getting some more vet hours will definitely help me, so I'm applying for jobs and trying to find an LA vet in the area (I know there has to be at least one, but they sure seem to keep quiet! :laugh: ). But has anyone else with a low GPA found that extra experience really helped their application?

New England wouldn't happen to be Massachusetts would it? I know a lot of large animal veterinarians in the area that's why I'm asking.

Yep, GPA for me is definitely big factor. I don't really see it rising too much because of how many courses I've taken already. I could get A's for the next two years and I think my GPA would only move by 0.1.

I'm thinking of a Master's degree as well, but I want it to be useful... maybe in an applied science. Veterinary schools I have talked to tell me to simply stick with retaking undergraduate course instead of pursuing another degree. I know I should listen to them; however, this liminal period is frustrating and I don't know how much longer I can continue being an undergrad. That being said, I don't really want a Master's. I want a DVM.

New England wouldn't happen to be Massachusetts would it? I know a lot of large animal veterinarians in the area that's why I'm asking.

It is! I'll be moving back home to Mass as soon as I find someone to sublet my apartment in New Hampshire.

I'm thinking of a Master's degree as well, but I want it to be useful... maybe in an applied science. Veterinary schools I have talked to tell me to simply stick with retaking undergraduate course instead of pursuing another degree. I know I should listen to them; however, this liminal period is frustrating and I don't know how much longer I can continue being an undergrad.

Agreed. I've already been in undergrad waaaay longer than anyone of my friends . . . the running joke has been that I'll be 90 by the time I finish. I might be persuaded to improve my crappy organic chemistry grade (again) but other than that, retaking undergrad classes really isn't an option I want to consider.

Agreed. I've already been in undergrad waaaay longer than anyone of my friends . . . the running joke has been that I'll be 90 by the time I finish. I might be persuaded to improve my crappy organic chemistry grade (again) but other than that, retaking undergrad classes really isn't an option I want to consider.

haha I'm not sure if that's anything to joke about. ;) At this rate, I'll be in my 90s as well (or maybe I will have kicked the bucket)!

I don't know your full story, but I think getting a really kickass score on the GRE is probably the quickest and cheapest way to offset a lower GPA. Perhaps you already have one though :)

Yep, GPA for me is definitely big factor. I don't really see it rising too much because of how many courses I've taken already. I could get A's for the next two years and I think my GPA would only move by 0.1.

So. 190 credit hours of undergrad, right here. Two degrees, and basically a flat 3.0 GPA. It's definitely a hurdle - I think I would have needed over 100 hours of straight As to get up to a 3.5 - but I didn't end up needing to do that anyway.

You need the excellent GRE, you need the improvement and the good last 45 credit hours, and you need evaluators who are willing to sing a song about how awesome you are. Seek these things out. And if on the off chance you don't yet have 190 credit hours, still work on raising the GPA as much as you can.

So. 190 credit hours of undergrad, right here. Two degrees, and basically a flat 3.0 GPA. It's definitely a hurdle - I think I would have needed over 100 hours of straight As to get up to a 3.5 - but I didn't end up needing to do that anyway.

You need the excellent GRE, you need the improvement and the good last 45 credit hours, and you need evaluators who are willing to sing a song about how awesome you are. Seek these things out. And if on the off chance you don't yet have 190 credit hours, still work on raising the GPA as much as you can.

Thanks for the advice twelvetigers. :) That's pretty much the advice I got from admissions, but without the last 45 credit hours suggestion. It makes sense that they would be looking at your last marks. Any idea whether the bulk of those last credit hours should be biology or science? I've finished all my requirements so I can pick and chose as long as my finances allow.

My GRE's pretty decent in Verbal and Analytical, but the Quantitative needs a little work.

So. 190 credit hours of undergrad, right here. Two degrees, and basically a flat 3.0 GPA.

My first thought was :uhno:

Then it occurred to me that I'll be in the same boat credit wise. I have like 145ish from my engineering degree and I'm working on my second to cover vet school pre-reqs :smack: