dyachei

vet robot pirate zombie
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm completely stuck between decisions right now...... I know ultimately I have to make a choice on my future but I'm very much struggling and would like to hear some advice to aid my decision. Here's my situation: I applied to vet school during the 2018 VMCAS cycle, I've gotten all the decisions back and I was rejected from 4 schools, including my IS, UW-Madison. I was waitlisted at Michigan State at position number 114 and also at Iowa State at position number 315. From what I've heard and know I've been trying to accept that with these positions there's a better chance that I won't get in compared to getting accepted.

This has led me to consider other options: grad school, career focus, and applying to the island schools. There are so many pros and cons to each option that I keep going around and around without making a decision, which is becoming problematic as I approach graduation from undergrad. So far here's my thought process for each option. Grad school: I would get to stay in school and earn more education which is something I'm passionate about however, I don't know what I'd want to get my master's in. Also, unless I were to do a 1 yr program this would mean putting off vet school and even though I could try for an assistantship, I would still have to take out more loans which creates more financial burden for when I'm done with school completely.

Employment: This would only be for 1 year so that I could apply to vet school again, however, again I'm not sure what I'd specifically like to do. I just for sure would like to utilize my degree, B.S. Animal Science- Companion Animal Emphasis. It's been difficult finding jobs that would benefit me in experience, pay enough for me to be able to live and start paying some of my loans, and jobs that aren't halfway across the country (My boyfriend and I are planning to get married soon and he has just finally been able to get settled in this area, I would hate making him uproot again for something that we know wouldn't be permanent).

Island school: This would be something I would have to do on my own without my boyfriend, which could potentially be very difficult. However, I'd get to start vet school and get done on time with accordance to my overall life plan: become a vet, get settled, then have children. I really would prefer to go to vet school sooner rather than later because I really don't want to put a hold on my boyfriend and I's future life plans. I feel like he's already done so much for me and my dream without question that I don't want him to continue to be a slave to my dream and education for much longer.

I know this is a lot and any advice is openly welcome, and I thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.
If you don't know what field you'd want to go into for a master's, it probably isn't the right choice for you. Many of those programs are highly rigorous and demand your attention and interest.

You can certainly apply for an island school, but if you wouldn't go due to life reasons, I wouldn't bother. It's expensive to apply to schools and there's never a guarantee you'd be able to transfer.

If I were in your shoes, I'd like try to find employment and continue to improve my application - do file reviews to find out why you weren't accepted and fix problems where you can. You did get waitlisted twice, which is really, really positive.

Good luck with your decision

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.