Planning ahead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllAmerican13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to plan ahead to figure out what to do all next year. I have taken the DAT and scored 19, I have a 3.0 science GPA (3.1 cumulative), and 300+ hours of in office experience. Currently working as a chemist full time and I don't know if I should continue to seek experience in the dental field because I do not get time off from work so opportunity is limited. If I do not get accepted to dental school this year, should I do a post bacc? Continue working? Keep in consideration I'm 100% on my own with no one else's financial backing. Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What I suggest is rather than doing a post-bacc (since you are funding yourself) is that you study very hard and retake the DAT. If you get above 23+ on all the sections or even most of it, then it should counteract the GPA that you have received. The science DAT is a very strong predictor for how well you will do in dental school and apparently dental schools value that score over the academic DAT. Try to find some dental related volunteering oppotunities over the weekend also.

What I suggest is rather than doing a post-bacc (since you are funding yourself) is that you study very hard and retake the DAT. If you get above 23+ on all the sections or even most of it, then it should counteract the GPA that you have received. The science DAT is a very strong predictor for how well you will do in dental school and apparently dental schools value that score over the academic DAT. Try to find some dental related volunteering oppotunities over the weekend also.

:rofl:You say it like getting a 23+ on all sections is no problem. That is seriously hard to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is hard haha but it's possible. I'm someone who did get 22+ on most.;)

:rofl:You say it like getting a 23+ on all sections is no problem. That is seriously hard to do.

Consider it this way, his DAT is average and his GPA is weak. It is substantially more difficult for him to raise his GPA at this point than it is for him to buckle down and get a stronger DAT score to somewhat offset the GPA.

My GPA is weak and I'm hoping they will consider that as my classes became increasingly difficult my grades improved all the way to graduation. I also had a huge commitment towards track & field which is reflected by the results (US jr. Champ, conference record holder, all American). Is that something dental schools would consider? I know others have successfully done it but it was tough to have the same commitment toward both.

My GPA is weak and I'm hoping they will consider that as my classes became increasingly difficult my grades improved all the way to graduation. I also had a huge commitment towards track & field which is reflected by the results (US jr. Champ, conference record holder, all American). Is that something dental schools would consider? I know others have successfully done it but it was tough to have the same commitment toward both.

They will definitely like your track and field achievements.

I am trying to plan ahead to figure out what to do all next year. I have taken the DAT and scored 19, I have a 3.0 science GPA (3.1 cumulative), and 300+ hours of in office experience. Currently working as a chemist full time and I don't know if I should continue to seek experience in the dental field because I do not get time off from work so opportunity is limited. If I do not get accepted to dental school this year, should I do a post bacc? Continue working? Keep in consideration I'm 100% on my own with no one else's financial backing. Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated.
Do post-bac, bring your science and overall GPA up to at least 3.2. Retake the DAT and get 22+AA w/ no section below 20. Don't forget GPA is more important than DAT. I had a 24AA and a similar GPA as you last cycle and I didn't get in anywhere. You don't need to gain anymore dental exp, 300+ hrs is more than enough (I only did 200).

Now as for your job, it depends on if you think you can manage getting "A"s and scoring well on the DAT while also busy with work. If it were me I would try to work part-time and if I couldn't I'd quit and get a loan to pay for school.