Planning my future with MCAT in mind. Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaniO32

Reaction score
Hi everyone Im taking the MCAT in August, I still have a year before I graduate and plan on spending this time to fine tune and add to my resume, especially because I don't have much leadership roles or skills and lacking shadowing hours. I plan on applying early next cycle and taking a leap year. My question is, in your opinion what score should I be ok with, so I don't have to retake and instead spend that time to focus on EC and writing an honors research thesis which will hopefully get published before graduating. Please let me know if there is anything you feel is lacking in my application or any helpful suggestions. I am a hispanic woman btw.

Got my AA at a community college (GPA 3.90)

Current accumulative GPA 3.94 sGPA 3.93
worked as medical assistant for 2 years in Derm clinic(not sure thats applies to anything)

Did shadowing for a year in the same clinic I worked for (6 months about 160 hours)

Clinical research for 1.5 years

2 presentations at research symposium

1 research grant $500

Honors research thesis

2 scholarships

2 international outreach trip ( Colombia and Bahamas)

Spanish speaker

I am going to ask for a letter of recommendation from the Drs at the Derm clinic I worked for and shadowed, I’m I juicing that experience too much?

Members don't see this ad.

A shadowing letter adds nothing to your MD application.
50 hours of shadowing is plenty as long as it's primary care of some type.

On the other hand, DO's love a DO letter (even if it's shadowing, apparently).

Which Hispanic community?
What did you do on the missions?

A shadowing letter adds nothing to your MD application.
50 hours of shadowing is plenty as long as it's primary care of some type.

On the other hand, DO's love a DO letter (even if it's shadowing, apparently).

Which Hispanic community?
What did you do on the missions?

I’m also thinking of my research mentor as well. I thought it was a good idea since they worked with me and saw work ethics, commitment ect.

I am Colombian

I worked with sick children in a hospital in Colombia. In bahamas I volunteered after the hurricanes helped at hospital, rebuilding a home and Red Cross.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m also thinking of my research mentor as well. I thought it was a good idea since they worked with me and saw work ethics, commitment ect.

I am Colombian

I worked with sick children in a hospital in Colombia. In bahamas I volunteered after the hurricanes helped at hospital, rebuilding a home and Red Cross.
Almost anything is better than a shadowing letter.
Although S. Americans are not generally considered under-represented in medicine, they do add cultural diversity. Language skills are always appreciated.
If you did not displace local workers and did not perform functions that would not be permitted here, the missions will probably not hurt your application.

Do not take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success. August is fine for next cycle. You should only take the exam once! An MCAT score at the median for matriculants in your state is wise.

Nice cat.

Almost anything is better than a shadowing letter.
Although S. Americans are not generally considered under-represented in medicine, they do add cultural diversity. Language skills are always appreciated.
If you did not displace local workers and did not perform functions that would not be permitted here, the missions will probably not hurt your application.

Do not take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success. August is fine for next cycle. You should only take the exam once! An MCAT score at the median for matriculants in your state is wise.

Nice cat.

Thank you for your help. Obviously I’m aiming for a high score but don’t want to freak out if it’s not what I expected.

Same, That’s little T!

Reactions: 1 user
Last edited by a moderator: