Plavix / Clopidogrel and cervical medial branch blocks and cervical radiofrequency neurotomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your opinion? Do you discontinue or continue Plavix for these procedures?

Attached are the most comprehensive guidlines I can find.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Anticoagulant and Antiplatelet Management for Spinal Procedures: A Prospective, Descriptive St...pdf
    151.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Responsible, Safe, and Effective Use of Antithrombotics and Anticoagulants in Patients Undergo...pdf
    464.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Risks and Benefits of Ceasing or Continuing Anticoagulant Medication for Image-Guided Procedur...pdf
    210.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Anticoagulants and Spine Interventions Fact Finder.pdf
    65.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
For medial branch blocks, I think the risk of thrombolic event from discontinuing plavix would outway any bleeding event you would get with a 25g needle. The needle is small and you're not inside the vertebral column. I would think you'd likely be ok to proceed with an RFTC as well but I would still send em to cards or pcp to determine write a note saying it's ok to stop. It's more of a cya measure but I'm not looking to push the envelope on an elective procedure. Ideally I would send em to cards on the same day I order the MBB, that way by the time they are ready for RFTC I have the answer I need

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont stop any anti-coagulants for facet procedures. used to stop them for intra-articular facets, but now i continue.

still havent gone over to steve's realm of anti-coagulants and TFESI, but im heading in that direction

Reactions: 2 users
Case by case basis, always discuss (and document!) risks/benefits especially when going outside published guidelines. I don’t stop for any MBBs anymore. For cervical RF, I use an 18g needle, and there is a theoretical risk of hitting the vertebral artery if the needle is advanced too far, so I will hold anticoagulants, with cardiology clearance, unless the patient is very high risk to do so - multiple PEs, fresh stent, major vasculopath, etc.